Your top 5 games of all time

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Your top 5 games of all time

Post by Rayne »

Again, surely this has been done? If not...

I want to know your top 5 video games of all time, from all formats from all generations. You also need to provide a brief reason why you picked each one.

1 - Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox) - For me this is the ultimate game. Fantastic graphics, memorable characters, stellar soundtrack and a perfect gameplay fusion between platforming & skating. It's a game that doesn't initially seem too exceptional but absolutely every area of it is so polished that it's impossible not to love. To this day it's still a regular local multi-player game of choice. Bet I can beat your time on Chuo Street too.

2 - Metal Gear Solid (PS1) - I can't put into words how awesome this game is. The perfect balance between gameplay & cinematics it never fails to grip me from start to finish. The boss fights are memorable, the melodrama is genuinely quite touching and it's still a joy to play. In spite of what you think of the series these days, this is where it peaked and achieved perfection.

3 - Halo Combat Evolved (Xbox) - Every single console FPS game owes Halo a huge debt. It pretty much defined how all shooters should be played. With a rich and vibrant world it's instantly impressive, add to that perfect gameplay and a great story and you have a classic. I spent countless hours on local multi-player.

4 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive) - My first ever video game, a sheer coincidence that it's also one of the best to have ever been released. The perfect balance between platforming and speed, no other Sonic game comes close to matching what 2 achieved. Thanks to Tails being introduced we get a multi-player mode & co-op mode.

5 - Fragile Dreams (Wii) - Games shouldn't excuse bad gameplay mechanics on the basis of their atmosphere. That's my general stance, however with Fragile Dreams I make an exception. Right from the get-go it launches you into a dream-like world with little to no explanation of what's happened. With little more than a torch you set forth in the hope of finding at least one companion in an empty landscape. Many will be put off by the equipment management or back-tracking but for me, this really struck a chord.

Haha, this could easily be a top 50 games of all time, but lets see how we all do with 5.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Nice thread idea. I'd contribute my own top 5 but I'm terrible when it comes to picking favourites. Also, your number 1 and 5 should be on everyone's list, otherwise they're wrong.
Rayne
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Rayne »

Kaito-kun wrote:Nice thread idea. I'd contribute my own top 5 but I'm terrible when it comes to picking favourites. Also, your number 1 and 5 should be on everyone's list, otherwise they're wrong.
My top five should be on everyone's list, otherwise they're wrong :P but I'm willing to forgive if they provide entertaining alternatives.

How about you post 5 with a disclaimer that it could change at any time? :3
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rayne wrote: How about you post 5 with a disclaimer that it could change at any time? :3
I once spent an hour deciding between five t-shirts, I dread to imagine how long it would take me to pick five favourites out of around three hundred games I own.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Honerable Mention: Okami - I loved the graphics, the charchters and the story in this game. It showed what the PS2 was capable of aswell. Also amaterasu is one of my fave game character of all time.
5. Sonic 3 And Knuckles - By far the best Sonic game in existance, and my opinion has not changed for 19 years :P (Yup i played this when i was young :P )
4. Final Fantasy 9 - The best FF game in my opinion. The charchters were a nice change after 7 and 8. The battle system was also the best i've used in a FF game. Yeah the classic system which didnt need changing in the first place. The story also made sense this time.
3.Kingdom Hearts 1/2 - I'm not gonna explain this one. People start to argue with me when i say KH is awesome.
2. Pokemon Gold - I loved this game when i was younger, I have no idea why, i just loved everything about it (Its better then its remake)
1. The World Ends With You - Every game on this list i have finshed 100% once. This game i have finshed 100% nearly 3 times. I love the story for this game, i love the battle system, i loved the charachters, i loved its graphics and music. A game has yet to come out to knock this off my list. :P

Edit: Sorry bout putting 6 but yeah :/ Lol
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I've not played Fragile Dreams, although it looks interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it. Rayne, do you prefer JSRF over the original then? Most people I know prefer the original, although personally I liked the Future version more, in terms of style and music.

Man, picking a top five is hard. Picking a top five that aren't all Sega games is even harder :P

I'm gonna judge this based on how many times I have played these games, and how often I've completed them.
  1. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Sonic 3 will always remain my favourite Sonic game of all time, I played it constantly when I was young and I knew every every detail of the levels. When plugged into Sonic & Knuckles, there is no other Sonic game like it.
  2. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Simply the BEST RPG I have ever played in my life, even better than Skies. Sorry Skies! It had a unique world and story, with an amazing atmosphere and soundtrack that recreated the Panzer Dragoon world. Plus, taking the gameplay of an on-rails shooter and turning into an RPG was amazing; the battle system is one of my favourites in any RPG.
  3. Skies of Arcadia - PDS just beats it, but Skies of Arcadia also had a fantastic game world, soundtrack, characters and the ship based battle system was really fun. This game was what adventures were all about.
  4. Phantasy Star Online - I poured hours into this, and lots of money too, and then even more time and money into Episode 2, 3, 4 and Phantasy Star Universe, but PSO was the game that really started it all. As the first online RPG on a console, it was addictive and innovative. Anyone remember the online translator that won awards? Plus it used Beat Time, and Beat Time was cool. Was.
  5. Fable - I figured I would throw in a non-Sega game >_> I've completed Fable loads. I'm not sure what I like about it, and Fable 2, it was just a fun British fantasy romp with a nicer sense of humour.
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

I'll countdown mine:

T5. ESPN NFL 2K5 (PS2) Don't think SEGA can't come out with good sports games? This one would change your mind. The once Dreamcast-exclusive series of games keeps getting better. The game is so realistic in terms of strategy and physics, that you can easily mistake it for the real thing. But where this one really shines is the TV Presentation. Although Dan Stevens & Peter O'Keefe are not ESPN personalities, Chris Berman, Suzy Kolber, Trey Wingo, & Mel Kiper, Jr. are all ESPN personalities and truly bring their personalities into the game making it that much more authentic. Add in TV-like camera angles, ESPN stat & score overlays (at the time the game was made) and music, both from ESPN and licensed bands, and First Person Football, and you've got an amazing game. Sadly, SEGA sold Visual Concepts to Take Two Interactive a few months after release as they were losing money and in tough financial times. VC also lost the NFL license after this title bringing an end to a terrific series of games. Oh yeah, they lost it to...

T5. Madden NFL 2005 Collector's Edition (PS2) This game shines where ESPN NFL 2K5 doesn't. Mini-games, 2-player trivia, and a crazy in-depth Franchise mode that would keep you busy for years. There hasn't been a Madden this good since.

4. FIFA Soccer 2003 (PS2) Call me crazy, but I still play this game. Easy to pick up controls. All the teams from the major club leagues. The best international teams. The game as pure as it gets. Authentic atmosphere and official stadiums from the best club teams in the world. John Motsen. Ally McCoist. Great soundtrack. Yeah, I have an attachment to this game, I guess.

3. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (GC) Replayability has never been so good. Because once you beat story mode, it's only 15% of the game completed. Tougher, harder challenges await, but with rewards awaiting that make it worth the effort. Raise Chao and have them compete in races & karate. Oh, and there's three kinds of stages and all three of them are fun (Well, Rouge's stages are debatable, as well as the Kart Racing). No 3D Sonic title has even come close to this game's greatness. And no, I haven't played Sonic Colors yet.

2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) Long game. 8 full worlds. And 2 players can out-duel each other to be the first to save the Mushroom Kingdom. It's hard to believe this game was released in 1990! A game truly ahead of its time and definitely the best platformer of all time.

1. MLB '09 The Show (PS3) AMAZING. So real you can taste the dirt. Or do your Les Miles impression and eat the grass. Controls are so easy to pick up as well, so the only thing you need to do is play smart and not have to remember what button to push all the time, it's natural. Or as natural as playing baseball with a videogame controller gets. The TV presentation, commentary, replays, and everything else makes MLB The Show true gaming perfection. And you can add in your own personal touch and put your favorite music in the game's music as well. Crush 40's What I'm Made Of anyone?

Honorable mentions: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003, FOX Sports NHL Championship 2000, SEGA Sports Tennis (aka Virtua Tennis 2), SEGA Superstars Tennis, Mario Power Tennis, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN), Crash Team Racing, MarioKart DS

Unhonorable Mentions: Topspin, NFL Xtreme 2, Playing as Sonic in SONIC the Hedgehog ('06), Tails' Skypatrol
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Schezo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schezo »

It's hard to pick but I probably have to say these five in no specific order.

Sonic 2 (MD) because of it's cheer fun and great level design. Best 2D platformer of all time, though I do prefer the music in the first Sonic. The 3 & Knuckles combo delivers a more epic experience, but the actual levels were funnier to blaze through in 2. It also has the best bonus stages.

Little Big Adventure (PS1)
Hard to describe but there's always been something about this game that appeals to me like few others do. A great adventure with gameplay that really sticks out (especially back then). Also has a beautiful soundtrack by Philippe Vachey.

Wonder Boy in Monster World (MD) Ok, nostalgia plays a huge part here, but it's such a huge part of my childhood that I cant leave it out on a list like this. Platform games with RPG elements has always been a great combination. I play through this game at least twice every year.

Chrono Trigger (SNES) If you have to play a classic J-RPG you might as well play one of the best of it's kind. You can't go wrong with Chrono Trigger. Some of Toriyama's best designs along with one of Mitsuda's best soundtracks really adds to the great gameplay.

Sin and Punishment - Successor of the Skies (Wii) I love Treasure. After trying out the original S&P for the N64 one night in school (I missed the last train home) it quickly became my fave game on the system. Screw Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, and Golden Eye! (Ok not really, those are great games too) But when I finally got to play the sequel, everything clicked. While it lacked the wow-factor of the original, the controls were next to perfect. It's like the Wii was made for this very game.

Also want to mention Persona 4 and M&M Clash of Heroes since they are both amazing games that I'm in the middle of playing and they might replace some of the above games once I'm finished with them.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Nice. I am a bit scared to write my top 5 because I am sure that people will complain about it. But it's not like i could do it now even if I wanted to, I've gotta go to sleep...
And I don't know them anyway, so, I can't write.
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:Nice. I am a bit scared to write my top 5 because I am sure that people will complain about it.
If you're uncomfortable writing a Top 5, just tell us your Top 1.

I should probably mention I'm going to reveal my personal Top 20 Sonic games of all time in video form starting next month; in vain to Sonic's 20th Anniversary (I think I already revealed which one is my number 1...).

Gonic wrote:People start to argue with me when i say KH is awesome.
I'm not arguing with you, I agree with you! Problem is the first game had the worst camera I ever dealt with, so I stopped playing. Fortunately, I've watched all of the cutscenes from KH & KH re:CoM on YouTube so I can pick up KH2 and not be lost in storyline.
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...