Shadow the Hedgehog (Playstation 2)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
metalgamer
Level 8
Level 8

Shadow the Hedgehog (Playstation 2)

Post by metalgamer »

Hello to all. This is my first review, so sorry if this is not the best.Shadow the Hedgehog, looking at youtube comments, not many people seem to like this game, saying that it sucks. I'm afraid I can not agree with this.

Story:
The story starts with monsters falling from the sky. Shadow talking about him having no memory of his past while monsters are attacking the city, then dooms eye comes to him ordering him to get the seven chaos emeralds as promised, Shadow believes him because he knows about his past. Shadow heads into Westopolis and the game begins. The story's structure is very intresting as the decisions you make determine the story. The actual story itself though can be intresting some of the time, but irrelevant at others, but is still very intresting to the end. 4/5

Gameplay:
The gameplay is decent, it gives you a very fast feel to the game even though you must stop a lot of the time because of the missions. Going off edges is a big problem in the game. In the game, even though when you run towards a ledge, you usually stop, but when using the homing attack, even when you aim for an enemy you can fall down easily. 3/5

Sound:
I am a metal fan, but I also love game music alot. I have to say, the soundtrack is amazing, the music really adds to the feel of the game. As for the voice acting is very usual and basic for a sonic game. Shadow's voice sounds really good. Sound effects blend in and aren't very noticeable. 5/5

Graphics:
I can honestly say, I don't get what the deal with graphics is, as long as the gameplay makes up for it, it's not something I pick on, but the graphics for the game aren't great, even for the time. The in-game cutscenes aren't very good to say the least. If the graphics of the cutscenes were like the ones at the beginning and end, it would have very impressive, but it is easy to notice the major drop in graphics. It seems they may have rushed some of the cutscenes. Beatuiful opening though 2.5/5

Overall:
It is one of my faviourte sonic games and is so fun to play, it can last you a long time, but after completion, it can get pretty boring. Apart from the graphics at times and the continous unneeded dying, Shadow the Hedgehog is a very good game. 4/5

Hope you enjoyed the review. I hope to do more of these in the future.
Schezo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schezo »

Giving out a 2.5 kinda ruins the whole point of the 5 point system of a review. Pick either 2 or 3. Giving the story in a game about Shadow a 4 kind of screams "fanboy" and while that is fine on it's own, I could instantly see that I wouldn't agree on anything in this review.

Would love to hear a quick review of this by Reknoc.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Shadow the hedgehog makes baby jesus cry. It's a total abortion. I would've done a video review titled "What I think of Shadow the hedgehog" and then just posted a link to 2 girls 1 cup.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I liked the game. :/
sonicfanRICH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sonicfanRICH »

^ I knew you two would be best friends.
ImageImage
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Well, I really mean it, I love the game. Even the graphics aren't that bad. The story is also nice BUT one which SHADOW IS NOT A ROBOT! And if you didn't like the guns, you didn't have to use them, you could just do the homing attack which works just as well. Of course guns do it a little bit... better. Pretty much everything was good. But that's what I think.

Nice review MetalGamer.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

I'll just leave this here :)

Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Shadow The Hedgehog was stupidly long with missions that took about 5 - 30 minutes to complete. The story made no freaking sense due to there being ten endings and there was way to many bugs like falling through a floor for example. The only thing I enjoyed bout this game was the music and one or two levels which weren't destroyed by missions. The PS2 version suffered from framerate issues. Really bad ones. Why was there no mention of that?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

A Sonic review that's even more controversial than mine? Woah.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

To be honest, I don't think the story is ever that important in a game like to this. To the game developers, it was probably put together at the last minute.

That said, I cannot comment on Shadow the Hedgehog as a game. Every time I play it, it crashes on me. All I can really comment on is far far away from the Sonic franchise it is; which is pretty far.