Level 1

Post by MisterStream »

I agree with Gavvie.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Yeah, I liked how Eddie tried his damnest to create that sense of nostalgia in just 18 minutes. Some of that are hit and miss and just blended into one giant mess to me. Yes, there were things that I would agree didn't really go well during the fan film, but in the end, I was entertained with what I saw. So yes, I liked it too.

Also, Yuji Naka actually praised the fan film on Twitter.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Retrix
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Retrix »

OK, so I just watched it.

I found it an entertaining 18 minutes, but I respect its faults.

+ Some good acting, especially by "D.J. Hazard" (Dr. Robotnik)
+ Appearances by brentfloss and Doug Walker
+ Appreciated the references
+ Music's all right

– Really, really don't like Sonic's model. The 'hair on quills' just doesn't look right, as Gavvie said (haven't read most of the earlier pages of comments).
– Also don't like the flat, central mouth position. Part of me wonders if this was to reflect the Sonic '06 design, the game which despite its faults had the most realistic graphics in its cut-scenes, and the model for the Doctor which seems to have inspired that used in this film.
– CGI E-Series robot picking up soldier looks really unconvincing (5m50s)

Disappointed that an 18-minute video which seems like an extended trailer is all that emerged after over 2 years, although it is described as a spec film.

Some have criticised continuity with the canon. Personally I don't care about that, it's not an actual story, the Egg Carrier is more appropriate than that indestructible spherical pod, and the comics/cartoons/games don't all follow the same line anyway. Though in the case of Knuckles, this is before Sonic 3, maybe by then he decided to get different gloves? :P

Gavvie wrote:I've never seen a word end in -bor that's pronounced as -ber. Shit, shit shit.
Labor? Harbor? Neighbor?
(I know those are American spellings, but this is an American production.)
There was an echidna from Vegas
Whose hairstyle was totally outrageous
When asked by the cops
Why the dreadlocks
He told them the idea was Sega's

​— The Typing of the Dead
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Reknoc wrote:17minutes I'll never get back
I'll give you mines.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

It's no Birdemic.

Film is no better than any other videogame adaption only the acting is even more terrible and the CGI is awful.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Again, they changed a lot of things around. I mean, those E-100 robots could have been the prototypes for the E-100 series. The same goes with those Egg Carriers but what do I know? I know that the movie tried to bring in a lot of cameos without making it too horrible and there were all the necessary things like Buzzbombers and Motobugs.
If you think about it, being a prequel would explain why Nobody(including Eggman) knew who Sonic was until he introduced himself to the Gun Units and why at the end of the film, Sonic ran into Green Hill Zone(boy how goofy did THAT place look? XD ).

Prototypes? Even then, how the hell do they fix with the context of this being a 'prequel to Sonic 1'? If this is a stand-alone continuity for the sake of bringing in all these elements it was done in a really poor way.
But mind you, I can already hear the Sonic fan boys screaming, "Oh if this was a Prequel to Sonic 1, why is Sonic designed from his modern counterpart? RUINED FOREVER!!!!" XD
I don't even think that's the closest complaint to this fan film in regards to Sonic's design.
But c'mon people, I think it was a great film and Sega should learn from those guys and make a Sonic film instead of selling him to other companies to put him as cameos (*cough* Disney *cough*). Perhaps they should tell Sega VE studios to make another Sonic CGI short film. Night of the werehog was rather neat.
SEGA should learn from this? I'm sure even SEGA wouldn't produce something like this with the amount of time this had. I will give all the credit to Eddie Lebron for actually completing this project (something a number of Sonic projects fail to do these days). The end result clearly didn't leave a LOT to be desired.

Plus, Sonic coughcameoingcough in a Disney movie such as Wreck-It Ralph makes sense due to the movie's premise AND since Ralph is in Transformed. So...
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

SEGA should learn from this? hahaha They can barely make good games anymore, last thing i want is them jumping in the movie industry. I would be happy that they sold movie rights to someone else any day, a good company that actually has the resources and creativity. *coughcough*unlikesega*coughcough*
Reknoc wrote:It's no Birdemic.
I have no idea what you're talking about, that movie was marvelous.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Again, honestly, as an opinion, I find the movie acceptable with my major huge problem with it being that it took 2 years for an 18 minute "spec film".
I guess by learning from them, I really just meant that another Sonic movie would be interesting and I don't mind the usage of him in cameos for good movies (Just watched Wreck it Ralph today and pretty good indeed.) but I sometimes wish for more then just cameos and that's where you get into the unrealistic thoughts of wishing that SEGA would make another Sonic movie of their own like Night of the Werehog or something.
voice
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by voice »

I understand a lot of effort went into this, but I honestly felt like I was watching a bizarro version of a Command and Conquer cutscene.
RSN Network: Website | RSN Live (Matrix)
Reach out to me via the RSN Matrix / IRC or the RadioSEGA IRC
Linux gamers represent!
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

I couldn't stand to watch it after seeing Sonic, they dun goofed.