Sonic Colors (Wii)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Sonic Colors (Wii)

Post by ShadowPhantom »

For such a long time now SEGA has made Sonic games. Yet ever since SA2 they have gotten it right, and then screwed it up. They did so well and then did something that degraded the game.

This seemed like something that would never end. As I'm sure you have heard before, "It's not over till the fat lady sings". Well folks, the fat lady has sung and exited stage left.

I give you Sonic Colors.

The story/plot is fun, lighthearted and easy to follow. Some of the jokes may be cheesy, but not so much that you cringe and skip the cutscene.

For once Eggman is the main villain of the game and not some godlike creature he is attempting to use for his own gain.

This game has cut down majorly on the amount of characters. Here it is only Sonic, Tails and Dr. Eggman and his robots. Instead of making the game feel like it's missing something though, it makes it more enjoyable and feels less cramped by characters who were simply shoehorned in (e.g. Tails in SA2).

Eggman's lackey from Sonic Unleashed is back and has been given a name: Orbot. He and a new robot, Cubot, provide comic relief for the scenes with Eggman. Cubot tends to be more annoying than funny, but Orbot is genuinely humorous.

The controls are simple and easy to get used to, unless you have played Sonic Unleashed on the Wii. Then you might have some trouble. I find the GC controller easiest, but use whatever suits your tastes.

My only gripe with the controls is how the quickstep is implimented. Instead of using the L and R triggers (GC controller) or B and C/Z (Wiimote + nunchuck) you have to hold up on the analogue stick and use that very same analogue stick to move left and right to quickstep. If you stop holding up, quickstep mode stops. It's very frustrating.

The gameplay switches from full-on 3D with the camera behind Sonic, to a side view for platforming sections. This transition is simple and smooth and works better than you may think. Sometimes this causes you to not notice an upcoming abyss and the like, but that is rare.

The gimmick of this game is the alien creatures called wisps. The each give Sonic a unique power to use in the levels. Unlike the gimmicks of other Sonic games (like the werehog), using the wisps is quite fun and adds to the experience rather than detracts from it.

The helper character in this game is a white wisp called Yacker. Unlike previous helpers (Chip, Shahara, Caliburn, ect.) Yacker does not speak in a way we can understand and thus is cute rather than annoying.

Colors follows the Sonic Law to a T. This law states that all Sonic games -no matter how crappy- will have an excellent soundtrack. The music for the game is outstanding. Each world has a distinctive sound to it, and makes you want to listen again and again.

I highly reccommend playing Sonic Colors. Yes, it has its flaws, but they are so few and far between you will not notice them.

4/5
Schezo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schezo »

I know this bothers me allot more than it should but giving a score of 4.5 completely ruins what makes a 5 point scoring system so good. Why would it be so hard to pick either 4 or 5? It's not like 4 is a bad score.

Aside from that, a pretty solid review. You could have mentioned the two annoying robots when you were mentioning the character roster. I'm pretty sure they have more lines than Tails.

Don't agree with that "Sonic Law" one bit (remember Sonic Chronicles?), though the soundtrack was pretty good in this one. Especially Planet Wisp, Aquarium Park and Phase 2 of the Nega-Wisp Armor battle.
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

Good point. I have adjusted the score and added in a part about the robots.

And I tend to forget about Chronicles when I think of soundtracks.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

So is the Sonic Law not part of the Sonic Cycle?
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

*sigh* The Sonic Cycle happens a lot, but the Sonic Law is something different. Other than Sonic Chronicles, this law has never been broken. It deals with soundtracks, not the actual game (like the Sonic Cycle), but instead just the music.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Hate to be a joy killer but even I kinda disagree with that "law". Aside from Sonic Chronicles, Sonic and the Secret rings didn't have any good music eider in my opinion. But than again, maybe S&tSR and S Chronicles are the only exceptions (Although I didn't mined the remix of Sonic 2's final boss music in SC.

But other than that. Very nice review. Though I still think that the Platforming areas are way too over used and are 4 times the amount of full on 3D.
dab_dob
Level 6
Level 6

Post by dab_dob »

Nice .. thank you