Sonic Generations

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I haven't started playing the game either.

It's just waiting... in my shelf... in my Sonic Collection...

I don't know why I don't play it! I think I just can't be stuffed going on the PS3. I still have 06 to go as well... oh gosh...
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Please for all intents and purposes, play Generations...06 will just....just play Generations...
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Adam Novagen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Adam Novagen »

BLIMEY, roughly two hundred posts since Sonic Generations launched and not a single review? I'm disappointed in you lot; guess it's time for me to fill the gap.

Sonic Generations (PC)

The Rundown: I picked up Sonic G on Steam during the Christmas sales for just $10.25, and tried to keep as much of an open mind as possible. I don't really expect too much from Sonic Team nowadays, but then who does.

The game is plagued by many of the usual bugs, flaws & problems that we've come to hate and expect in the Sonic series. The plot is so incredibly flimsy that it's virtually redundant, and the voice acting isn't even worth mentioning. The graphics are pretty, but severely lacking in optimization and customizability; the only things you can control in the options are the resolution, antialiasing (On or Off), shadow detail (High or Low) and water reflections (High or Low). The system requirements on the game's page are close to those listed for MW3, which for a game like Sonic G is absolutely ridiculous.

Speaking of control, the controls for Sonic G fluctuate wildly in their success, ranging from downright natural to downright infuriating. The jump and homing attack have been improved very nicely, and the boost and Left/Right sidestep work well with them too. Other moves like stomp, low-clearance skid (Pressing B while holding X? Seriously?) and the alleged "tight corner turn" combo of stick+Left/Right trigger (does that move EVER do anything?) can make you want to pull out your hair, teeth and anything else not firmly attached to your person. It's also worth noting that the PC control system is particularly bad; I played with my Logitech Dual Action (basically a PS2 controller on USB), and ended up mapping the left thumbstick to the Up/Down/Left/Right keys because joystick control made Sonic feel incredibly sluggish, imprecise and unpredictable.

The physics do work very well for once, especially in 3D, but despite allegations the physics for 2D "classic Sonic" feel absolutely NOTHING like classic Sonic, and take a fair amount of getting used to. Don't get me wrong, classic Sonic works, just not like you'd expect. The camera, also, did not make me want to commit suicide, homicide and infanticide in no particular order; the view stays where you want it to be 90% of the time, and in 3D stages moves very seamlessly between the forward-run and side-scrolling positions. It also handles the boost very well, giving an excellent feeling of going even faster than you really are.

Level design fluctuates. Some stages are very tight, natural and fun, like Rooftop Run and Speed Highway, and even Green Hill Zone. Others, like Crisis City and Planet Wisp can be beyond challenging and reach the point of downright annoying, or in the case of Planet Wisp, so long that they're just plain BORING. Not to mention the final boss, which, quite predictably, was by far the dullest and most annoying part of the entire game, and indeed completely destroyed any concept of "speed."

Despite all this, however, overall Sonic Generations delivers a well-constructed and balanced gaming buffet. It's not all tea & cakes by far, but it does at least capture just about everything that ever made any Sonic game fun. The soundtrack is a pleasure, as is the ability to choose custom tunes for individual levels. The graphics are beyond pretty, they're beautiful, and make me want to smile every time I'm blasting past them. The levels generally combine platforming with speed runs very smoothly, with very few places that make you pitch headlong to your doom with no fair warning (although the giant red "YOU'LL DIE IF YOU FALL HERE" signs are a bit condescending). I completed the main "story mode" of the game in around five hours, but so far have spent well over another three playing challenge stages, collecting red rings, and most importantly, replaying levels JUST FOR FUN. Sonic Generations has a long way to go before I call it a well-made game, but damned if it isn't a good one.

The Summary: Though riddled with minor flaws, Sonic G definitely comes close to hitting the mark as far as showing that Sonic games could still live up to their 16-bit predecessors. It's fast, fun, and has enormous replay value. Would I recommend it to friends? Yes. Would I recommend it to fans? Absolutely. Am I glad I got it? Without question. Would I pay more than $10 for it? Yes. More than $25? Hell no. Did I enjoy it? Indescribably and emphatically YES.

The Score: 7/10 - could be better, could be MUCH worse.

My Opinion: 9/10 - I have only minor complaints, and will probably be still playing this game years from now.

That's my five eggs, anyway. :P
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Adam Novagen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Adam Novagen »

Over a year since I last posted here, and my return is heralded by a facepalm.

Yep, it's good to be back. :rolleyes:
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Welcome back xD
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Hahaha, what a year a difference makes.

Welcome back, whoever you are :P
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Yes welcome dear mate.

(Though really, this isn't the place to say our welcomes.)
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:Yes welcome dear mate.

(Though really, this isn't the place to say our welcomes.)

True, true, but he is a returning member who just happens to come up with his own review as his first series of posts back. See no problem with that.