RadioSEGA Review: Super Monkey Ball 3D (3DS)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

RadioSEGA Review: Super Monkey Ball 3D (3DS)

Post by Gavvie »

Been a while since I've posted a review here, and whilst I do have a couple which I'm going to post as normal reviews, mainly because they've taken so long, this one I actually wanted to get done. So, here's my opinions on SEGA's first Nintendo 3DS game!
-STORY-
Hm. You know, I don't think there is one. Each set of levels starts with a small cutscene, but they all amount to the same thing. Monkey looks happy, portal opens, monkey looks a bit angry, and s/he jumps in. The only difference in these cutscenes are the actual levels themselves. They do look nice in 3D though, that much can be said.
-GAMEPLAY & CONTROLS-
Super Monkey Ball 3D can be controlled in two ways. You can either use the Circle Pad, or the 3DS' built in tilt sensor, to guide your monkey of choice around the mazes. Both control methods work fine, though in my experiences I found the Circle Pad to be a lot more precise.

Another thing of note with regards to the controls is the 3D. Contrary to popular belief, you can have the 3D turned on whilst using the tilt sensors, but you'll have to turn it down. This will vary between individuals, and no doubt the safest option is to leave it set to 2D, but with a little experimentation, it works. Again, the Circle Pad would give you the best 3D experience.

Gameplay wise, this game is exactly like any of the other Super Monkey Ball games that have come out in the last 10 years. Each of the 7 levels have a set of 10 mazes that you have to guide your monkey through, collecting bananas along the way. As you progress through the levels, the mazes get a little longer and harder, and you start to find your reflexes, as well as your patience, tested. At the same time, the levels themselves are fairly small, so you should be able to breeze through most of the game without too much of a problem.

There's also a couple of other gameplay modes included, but they're so throwaway you wonder why they were even put in. Monkey Race is a very basic Mario Kart clone, with poor controls, an even poorer selection of weapons, and a mammoth choice of three locations, each offering three tracks within them.

Monkey Fight, however, fares a little better, however this time it's a Super Smash Brothers clone. Whilst it's still poorly implemented, with only three arenas offered, it's a hell of a lot more fun than Monkey Race, with you having to beat up opponents to steal their bananas. Both modes have a heap of unlockable characters, but whether you play them long enough to unlock them all is another matter entirely.
-MUSIC-
Oh dear. Previous Super Monkey Ball games have had excellent music. This one? Dreary, dull, instantly forgettable. It's saying something when the last level in the game has the best music, and even then I can't actually find anything positive to say about it. It's just not good at all.

This isn't even a problem with the hardware. The 3DS has a great sound output. So, either it's SEGA having an early blip with trying to get the most out of the system, or it's just a really really poor soundtrack. My money is on the latter.
-OVERALL-
Despite the short main game, the almost pointless minigames, and the terrible soundtrack, Super Monkey Ball isn't that bad. It would be hard to recommend as a purchase alongside a new console, and even as a second choice game, but if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you must buy a 3DS game, Super Monkey Ball 3D could give you a weekend of fun.

--

Graphics - 3/5
Clean, unobtrusive, the game displays what it needs to and does it well. The 3D cutscenes at the start of each level are a particular highlight.

Gameplay - 3/5
This is exactly the same game you've been playing for the past 10 years, with no real innovations. Whilst the tilt sensors work fine, you are best off using the Circle Pad, especially if you want the 3D turned on. Monkey Race and Monkey Fight aren't worth your time, though.

Sound - 1/5
Really bad, with no standout tracks. A disappointment, especially as previous Super Monkey Ball games have had rather good soundtracks.

Length - 2/5
Whilst each of the 7 worlds have 10 mazes in, there's only one or two that you'll get stuck on, so the main game itself is a breeze. The two minigames aren't much longer. Having seperate leaderboards for Circle Pad and Tilt Sensor could add some length, but not a lot.

Overall - 2/5
Super Monkey Ball 3D is something I'd be very cautious to recommend as a purchase. Whilst the game is fun for as long as it lasts, it's over far too quickly. Worth a rental, and nothing more.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I was considering buying this as my launch title, but some of the reviews at the time seemed really negative. I'm kinda glad I didn't bother to be honest.

Nice review!
dab_dob
Level 6
Level 6

Post by dab_dob »

Nice .. thank you