Doctor Who

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Atrias
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Atrias »

Kaito-kun wrote:It'll be this year's Christmas episode that'll celebrate the 50th anniversary: The series began in December after all.
This would sadden me as surely they've got to do something a bit more bombastic with the Christmas Episode... they've always been a lot more accesible Who than the main cannon arcs (saving the reveals in the Snowmen, and the RTD extended specials season) and I really hope they go all out with things for 50th Anniversary...

Either way, its gonna be epic, but I would hope they provide more in the way of fanservice than mass-audience appeal, if you get me.
Faster than the speed of sound, sneaker wearing, chilli dog eating hedgehog with a penchant for industrial scale vandalism, animal activism and jewellery theft. Seems legit.

Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I see what you're saying, but I can't say I'm convinced.

Here's my logic as to why the 50th anniversary special will be this year's Christmas episode:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, "An Unearthly Child" (the first adventure featuring William Hartnell) was broadcast in December; hence the Christmas episode will be airing close to the anniversary.

I agree with you that the Christmas special has to be "a bit more bombastic" which may be why recent Christmas specials had been lacking (with the exception of last year's). Would you or the BBC want that overshadowed by another special celebrating the 50th anniversary so close to it? Why not combine those efforts into one spectacular episode?

Setting it up as the Christmas episode allows a lot of hype to build up, as usually happens with the Christmas episode. Plus, it'd be nice to have a Christmas episode again that isn't overly Christmas-y; instead it can focus on being the 50th anniversary episode, that's just happening to air at Christmas.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Maybe we need a "Daleks Steal Christmas" or something.
My dad has been yammering about want them in a Christmas episode for years now.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Dr Shaneman wrote:Maybe we need a "Daleks Steal Christmas" or something.
My dad has been yammering about want them in a Christmas episode for years now.
Nah. It'd be a little uninspired. I like the daleks but they sometimes feel like a bit of a cop-out/fanservice.
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Been keeping up with Doctor Who for a long time. And I think its awesome if there is an opportunity for a 50th Anniversary special. Matt Smith has been doing a great job playing the character. I can only imagine what sort of scenario they will spin towards this time around.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Kaito-kun wrote:Nah. It'd be a little uninspired. I like the daleks but they sometimes feel like a bit of a cop-out/fanservice.
I don't think they're used well.
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

The Three Doctors would make a good reference episode...only with Ecclescake Tennant AND Smith in the same episode.
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

If it were those three, curious what type of chat they would get to share. Besides the fact on being the nextgen Doctors'.
Just how many companions could they work into a trio type of storyline?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Starlight wrote:The Three Doctors would make a good reference episode...only with Ecclescake Tennant AND Smith in the same episode.
Why only the three of them? Why not all of the surviving doctors?
Atrias
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Atrias »

Kaito-kun wrote:Why only the three of them? Why not all of the surviving doctors?
The problem with multiple Doctor episodes is it becomes too much a clash of personalities... that many characters to write for... it's like doing the Avengers movie, there are gonna be those that are under-represented or mis-represented... in the hands of a genius however, it would be brilliant.

Focussing on the 3 revamp Doctors would give grounding to the current fanbase, but allowing the remaining survivors of classic Who to take on some kind of ancilliary role might be the best way to go about it, but that risks them being there purely for fanservice.

Tricky balancing act either way!

Oh and Kaito, to go to your earlier reply to my post, I totally see your reasoning and I do agree...

Considering the recent hints dropped by Moffatt in interview though, it looks like wherever it's placed it is definitely going to be something special... (http://www.hypable.com/2013/02/01/docto ... -jeopardy/)

Colour me excited in any case! :rockin: (wow, just discovered this.. best gif evar!!)
Faster than the speed of sound, sneaker wearing, chilli dog eating hedgehog with a penchant for industrial scale vandalism, animal activism and jewellery theft. Seems legit.