June 2011: Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive)

RadioSEGA's Game of the Month is back! Feel free to drop your comments in here.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

June 2011: Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive)

Post by Gavvie »

Back in 1991, we were all 20 years younger. For some of us, like myself, we would have been taking our first steps into the education system, a long and arduous process that would shape the rest of our lives. For others..well, it was probably more exciting and therefore enjoyable. In both cases, a game was set to be released that would change the platforming genre forever, and create a gaming icon.

It's no secret that Mario was the undisputed king of the platformer. He still is, but until Sonic turned up in his debut, Mario had no equal, nothing that could hold a candle to his genius. With Sonic, SEGA had crafted a faster, sleeker, better looking rival. Colours were vibrant, levels were massive in comparison, and gamers were hooked. From the first few notes of Green Hill Zone, we knew we were in for a ride.

And what a ride! Each level felt different to the last. Green Hill was all green and blue, in comparison to the dusky Spring Yard Zone, and the mechanical factory of Scrap Brain Zone. Add in an underwater Labyrinth, and a nighttime run through Starlight Zone. Each level culminated in a boss fight against Dr. Robotnik, in boss fights that were different, and challenging. At least the first time you played them.

1991 was also the year that Sonic debuted on the Master System, and whilst I personally prefer that game to the MD one (mainly due to the fact that it was my first experience of the blue speedy wonder), there's no denying that it got left behind in the wake of the 16-bit version's popularity. Even then, the only shared items between the two were the characters, and a couple of level names. Boss fights were different, level layouts were different, and you had to find Chaos Emeralds in levels instead of through horrible Special Stages that have not aged at all well.

Sonic the Hedgehog's popularity can still be seen now. The Archie comic is the longest running video game comic ever in the US, and the Fleetway edition published in the UK ran for an impressive 200+ issues, even if they were mostly reprints in the end. Shower bottles, spaghetti shapes, clothing, house furniture. You name it, Sonic's been on it. Without Sonic, SEGA's fight against Nintendo in the 90s would've been entirely different.

Twenty years later, and Sonic is still fighting. Not against Nintendo, but against a run of bad form. If SEGA can recapture his prime from 20 years ago, Sonic could once again become a powerhouse in the platforming genre. But as it stands, RadioSEGA's Game of the Month for June 2011 can only be one game.

Happy 20th Birthday - Sonic the Hedgehog.
IvyRave
Level 10
Level 10

Post by IvyRave »

Being -4 I wouldn't have understood the hype in 1991 and I feel sad because I've missed alot of the great ones including the Saturn and Dreamcast era.
Happy Birthday Sonic, and thank you for making my life amazing
Am back for now:P
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Even I was a tad young and too late to fully grasp The Blue Blur's rise to 90's fame from his origins but 20 years later, it's 2011; I'm older, wiser, and enjoy what Sonic has given to me yet I wish I was there when Sonic first sped onto the video game scene.

Much respect and b-day wishes to world's fastest, super sonic hedgehog!
LIVE AND LEARN!!!!
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

The egg ball & chain will never be forgotten.
thesonicfan209
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thesonicfan209 »

um I wasn't born yet but as soon as I was able to play games I knew I would love sonic well it was the first game I played so yea but it was the sonic adventure era that made me love sonic the fast pace levels,the puzzles,the cute chao,the new characters.
sonic it's been a nice run so lets keep this run going

happy birthday sonic
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

All this thread is doing is making me feel old.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I don't remember the hype, but I remember it seemed better than Altered Beast at the time.
Tic Tac, sir?
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

I remember the day I got it. I woke up in the morning to a new Mega drive bundled with Sonic. I was allowed to play it for about 20 minutes then I had to go to school. That was a long day.
ShadowPhantom
level 11
level 11

Post by ShadowPhantom »

I wasn't born when Sonic first came out, but I do remember my first Sonic game.

Sonic, you've come a long way since Heroes, my first one of your games. There have been many ups and downs on your path, but you've overcome them all. In your world, there is no compromise.

Happy 20th birthday Sonic!
xboy_in_da_house
Level 12
Level 12

Post by xboy_in_da_house »

yup I remember playing Sonic the Hedgehog 20 years ago at my cousin's house and from there on I got myself a Genesis (Mega Drive) with Sonic included. Sonic's blazin' speed gameplay, great jamming tunes and awesome replay value made it a major hit for Sega at that time. Happy 20th Anniversary Sonic :sonic: