The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by Reknoc »

Shut up. Stop. Here's 14 minutes of Skyrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU

What is Skyrim?
Home of the NOOOOOOOOOORDS!
Oh also it's the 5th numbered installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Nords?
Elder Scrolls Vikings. They hate mudcrabs.

I've watched the video, he's talking about AI again MAKE HIM STOP!
Yea I'm just choosing not to listen to him.

What is radiant storytelling?
Something that probably wont work.

On a scale of 1 - 10 how dumbed down is it?
Massive Baby Dumbing. But on the bright side it's not a Bioware game.

These people don't look like Ogres!
I know right?

Look at that animation!
Yea!

Oblivion was a festering pile of shit. Why are you so optimistic about this?
Woah woah, I'd say cautiously optimistic. On one hand Todd has said he wants to make the world more like Morrowind and actually fun to explore, and judging from Fallout 3 they have learned something. On the other Todd is a bit a of liar.

I haven't seen any Dunmer yet. I hope they're not as fruity as they were in Oblivion.
So do I.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

fapfapfap

I haven't finished Morrowind or Oblivion but i will get this & play the hell out of it |:
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Guys

Guys

Guys

This game is kinda good. Like, I'd start it up and play, then I'll kinda forget to stop playing until it is no longer the day it was when I started playing.
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

^
I'm with you on that one. My time is no longer my own, it now belongs to a sneaky backstabbing bastard of a cat...
Host of ClubSEGA - A show about the arcade scene and SEGA arcade games.
Wednesday at 8pm UK/WET - 9pm CEST- 3pm EST - 12pm PST
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

So now that I've had more time with it the cracks are starting to show up more now. Though I will say that I still think this a really good game and certainly the best thing Bethesda has put out on current gen consoles (though it's still not as good as Morrowind).

There are number of problems I have though and not all of them are related to the game being buggy.

Balancing Issues
It has level scaling which is already shit, but it's toned down a lot more than it was in Oblivion. But it also has some severe balance issues. So, the Dragons, they're meant to be like, god tier fantasy creatures right? Not in Skyrim! Almost everything is more powerful than a Dragon, it's really not fun to go toe to toe with a Dragon only to get one shotted by a bear even when I have full health.

Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood
This may be unfair on the Dark Brotherhood since I've only started the first proper quest, however it is exactly what I hated about the Thieves Guild; quests are just glorified dungeon runs. This isn't what it should be, this wasn't how it was in Oblivion, fucking Oblivion of all things!

Holds
Now some of the Holds are pretty good, but there's no, like, major city. To be fair Bethesda suck at them, but still. Also a number of holds are barely bigger than the small villages you come across.

The interface
Kinda just rubbish through out, it's certainly designed for consoles, but it really could have done with more categories and sorting options. The map screen is fucking pathetic, it's incredibly unhelpful.

The choice
Both the Imperials or the Stormcloaks suck, I don't want to join either.
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim OR How Much More Pretentious Can Bethesda Get?

Once again, Bethesda astonishes the player with beautifully crafted landscapes. It also once again astonishes with its competent pre-release bugfixing and naturally, an amazing AI, that's what we all know Bethesda for. I have never seen a more capably written AI that seems so smart, like a real creature. Of course, I need to give examples.
For instance, standing on top or behind an obstacle makes the AI completely helpless - close combat enemies will get completely confused and start cycling back and forth, while you can effortlessly shoot them with ranged attacks. You don't even have to stand on a BIG obstacle; a small pile of rubble usually is enough, as long as you don't stand in range. But the best part, of course, are the enemies with ranged attacks - most apparently simply forget that they actually are able to shoot you while standing on or behind that obstacle, and start helplessly cycling back and forth; only the occasional ranged attack will hit you once the AI stops having a bad short-term memory.

And then of course, there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnSYOhMypQ

Edit: OH ALSO! Amazing physics. SO NATURAL AND REALISTIC!
"The sub-structure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons - and behind electrons, quarks. Each layer unravelled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, For I Have Tasted The Fruit
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Option wrote: And then of course, there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEnSYOhMypQ
I enjoyed that.

I really did.

I don't understand it though, how come Bethesda get away with releasing games known for their glitches? If any other company tried that...
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

People just tend to be more forgiving when the game is so massive in scale.

Also sometimes it's hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8
Option
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Option »

I'm not much a fan of the game's main progression - most of the quests are fetch-quests or "kill all things" quests. It gets kinda tiring after a while. Though sometimes the AI is pretty hilarious, like that one guy who says "You're new here in the mage college, right?" even after you become the Archmage (i.e. the headmaster of the freaking college).
"The sub-structure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons - and behind electrons, quarks. Each layer unravelled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, For I Have Tasted The Fruit
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Uh, very little of the main quests have been fetch quests. A fetch quest is a quest in which you do nothing but go from one area to another with very little involvement. Having to go through a dungeon to get an item is not a fetch quest. If you don't like going through dungeons then you may be playing the wrong genre.

edit: this shouldn't be in the E3 section anymore.

edit: lolololol guy in the thieves guild just said "I don't care if you're buddies with the Guild Master" when I am the Guild Master.