SEGA and BBC announce interactive science experience

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Retrix
Level 9
Level 9

SEGA and BBC announce interactive science experience

Post by Retrix »

This is SEGA related news than 'events' really (please move if appropriate), but it appears SEGA and the BBC are co-operating to create interactive science museum-type places.

Source: BBC Worldwide (22 June 2011)

BBC Earth and SEGA announced today a partnership deal to create a unique visitor experience that will fuse nature with technology and offer an entirely new multi-sensory adventure. BBC Earth has consistently led the way in using cutting edge technology to bring premier natural history content to the world. This latest partnership with SEGA takes this idea to a whole new level, leveraging SEGA's expertise in entertainment technology to create an entirely new visitor experience.

The experience, set to open in Japan and the US over the next two years, will create a unique 4,000 sqm multi-level space where visitors will have an unforgettable encounter with Mother Nature –supercharged. Visitors will undertake an individual adventure using their eyes, ears, hands and minds to explore the wonders of the natural world.

"I am very happy that we have been able to join together with BBC Worldwide who possess one of the world's finest libraries of Natural History footage. I am confident that by fusing this fabulous content with our entertainment know-how, we can deliver a new and thoroughly unique experience of the natural world. Through the universal theme of nature, SEGA will create a new live entertainment experience that will be enjoyed by all nationalities, ages and genders," said Okitane Usui, SEGA Corporation’s COO.

Marcus Arthur, Managing Director, Global Brands for BBC Worldwide said: "The BBC is famous around the world for the quality of its natural history film-making and the BBC Earth brand is all about providing international audiences with new ways to experience and enjoy it. This is one of the most innovative ventures we have embarked upon to date. Harnessing SEGA's imaginative approach to technology, our aim is to create an incredible sensory experience, a supercharged journey through nature that will inspire, educate and entertain in equal measure."

The exact locations of the US and Japanese visitor sites will be confirmed in the coming months, along with further details of the encounter's unique content. It is envisaged that other licensed international locations for the experience will follow.
There was an echidna from Vegas
Whose hairstyle was totally outrageous
When asked by the cops
Why the dreadlocks
He told them the idea was Sega's

​— The Typing of the Dead
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

So SEGA's teaming up with the Beeb to fuse together the brain of David Attenborough and their arcade tech in order to educate the masses? Sounds fun.
CDbiggen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CDbiggen »

Wow, that does actually sound like a great idea. Just a shame there's not going to be one in the UK :(
People are like books. We’ve all got a front and a back. You get my drift?
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

So the BBC is making something the British can't even watch? And I thought tax payers' money being spent on Cash in the Attic was bad.
Tic Tac, sir?
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

That's a good point bread. I wonder if the money being used is from the British taxpayer. I know there's a BBC America maybe there funded differently. I hope so anyway.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I think the world service thing can make a profit that is put back into the overall BBC funding, so that might be how they justify the venture.
Tic Tac, sir?
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

BBC America is funded via advertising, but I would imagine that BBC Worldwide are funded elsewhere. I think it's just BBC the British television company that we fund.

Wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong, though.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Gavvie wrote:BBC America is funded via advertising, but I would imagine that BBC Worldwide are funded elsewhere. I think it's just BBC the British television company that we fund.

BBC America is a part of BBC Worldwide.
vger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vger »

Gavvie wrote:BBC America is funded via advertising, but I would imagine that BBC Worldwide are funded elsewhere. I think it's just BBC the British television company that we fund.

BBC Worldwide/America is add funded and actually feeds money back into the UK counterpart... seems our TV licences arn't enough to run the BBC.