Millions of USA citizens will be monitored.

What it says on the tin...
Kraiola
Level 7
Level 7

Millions of USA citizens will be monitored.

Post by Kraiola »

In June the MPAA and RIAA announced a ‘ground-breaking’ deal with all the major Internet providers in the United States. In an attempt to deter online piracy, a third-party company will monitor BitTorrent and other public file-sharing networks and collect the IP-addresses of alleged infringers.

The ISPs will then notify these offenders and tell them that their behavior is unacceptable. After six warnings the ISP may then take a variety of repressive measures, which include slowing down the offender’s connection.

This new system is a formalized version of the existing takedown system that’s already in use by copyright holders. It was announced under the name ‘Copyright Alerts‘ and will be managed by the Center for Copyright Information, but little is known about how the data on alleged infringers is collected and stored.

Previously we tried to get more background info, but to no avail. However, via a detour we got in touch with a spokesman for the Center for Copyright Information (CCI) who kindly provided us with some additional information.

We wanted to know what will happen with the IP-addresses that are collected, for how long will they be stored, and will there be a central organization that’s responsible for this process like there is in France. The CCI spokesperson informed us that the data will be exclusively kept by the ISPs.

“ISPs will hold this information, as they do today. Please also note that no personal information about subscribers will be shared with rights holders without the required legal process being completed,” he told us.

There’s no agreement on how long the data will be stored, but a minimum of 12 months is required.

“ISPs will determine this individually based on their own policy. However, please note that the Memorandum of Understanding allows for a 12 month reset period. That means that, if an ISP does not receive any ISP notices from rights holders concerning a subscriber’s account for a 12 month period, all prior ISP notices and copyright alerts from the subscriber’s account may be expunged.”

Aside from the data storage issue we also asked if the company that will track millions of copyright infringers will have its evidence gathering techniques properly tested. This is indeed the case.

“There will be an independent technical review. The agreement requires that an independent technical expert review methodologies used by content owners to detect alleged content theft and by ISPs to identify and forward alerts to applicable subscribers,” TorrentFreak was told.

The independent technical expert has not yet been selected according to the spokesperson. However, it seems unlikely that the results of the evidence review will be made public, which is a major disappointment.

“The results of the reviews will necessarily vary company by company, and industry by industry. As such, they will contain proprietary information and will not be made public,” we were told.

Previously two independent sources informed us that DtecNet was already picked as the official tracking company, but the CCI spokesman said that no official contract has been signed yet. More information on this, as well as the start date of the new system, is likely to be released in the near future.

In the coming months we’ll continue to keep a close eye on developments, because if rightsholders want to track millions of copyright infringers, they better do it right.
Though, i do admit of Piracy just to try the item out before i buy it to support the Maker, this is just tragic and unfair. This just makes me not want to be a US Citizen anymore....

http://torrentfreak.com/database-of-u-s ... ed-110906/
Greatodyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greatodyer »

That's just ridiculous. It's like you can't do anything at all on a computer without being watched...
Takes more than expired soda to have a party. It takes guests, with breasts and mine don't count.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqbqtosuVk1qbr1yco1_500.jpg
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

This is nothing new and its not just in the US, many countries are in the process of doing this. Sorry to say no matter what your view of the matter is, Piracy is a crime.
Silvertoad99 wrote:Though, i do admit of Piracy just to try the item out before i buy it to support the Maker, this is just tragic and unfair.
I agree with trying it out before buying but loads of people don't do this and its not just about games, their talking about everything. Music Movies Novels Programs Software etc.
Somebody who goes through the long and difficult process of lets say torrenting a computer software isnt going to uninstall it just to buy it for $200 at the store and go through the long process again to put it back.
Dont pirate/steal and you'll be fine.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Good thing I don't use P2P stuff like BitTorrent to get ahold of my stuff. :P I'm one of the lucky few though.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Greatodyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greatodyer »

Wrath Oskvro wrote:Good thing I don't use P2P stuff like BitTorrent to get ahold of my stuff. :P I'm one of the lucky few though.
Same here! I had a housemate once who was jailed for having something downloaded that he shouldn't have...
Takes more than expired soda to have a party. It takes guests, with breasts and mine don't count.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqbqtosuVk1qbr1yco1_500.jpg
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

RWDebara wrote:This is nothing new and its not just in the US, many countries are in the process of doing this. Sorry to say no matter what your view of the matter is, Piracy is a crime.
RWDebara wrote:Dont pirate/steal and you'll be fine.
I applaud you.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

First it was copyright YouTube vids, and now the WHOLE internet? Come on, what is wrong with the U.S. here? Hey why not install hidden cameras in every apartment if they think that people are gonna download illegal stuff.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

nutcase07 wrote:Same here! I had a housemate once who was jailed for having something downloaded that he shouldn't have...
By that I meant I have a different source that doesn't involve P2P :D
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

mtwinny wrote:First it was copyright YouTube vids, and now the WHOLE internet? Come on, what is wrong with the U.S. here? Hey why not install hidden cameras in every apartment if they think that people are gonna download illegal stuff.
Ummm what does stopping piracy have to do with total government control? Its a crime deal with it.

And the whole youtube thing was taken way over bored. They are not going to arrest someone for having a song in the background of their video they recorded. Its ridiculous and its not going to happen. If a company really has a problem with their properties in your video they'll just take down your video. SO EVIL!
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

RWDebara wrote:Ummm what does stopping piracy have to do with total government control? Its a crime deal with it.

I know it's a crime (duh) , it just that it's what Silvertoad99 had said: tragic and unfair. Are we not allowed our rights, regardless?

And if that's the case, then does mean sites like 4shared and MediaFire gonna be compromised?
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010