Trading Card Games

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Trading Card Games

Post by Reknoc »

I thought, since some other thread was getting a little off topic due to Yu-Gi-Oh talk it'd be good to have a thread based on a genre I'm pretty fond of.

Some TCG that are worth a look:

Magic the Gathering:
Obviously the master of all TCG with an in depth ruleset and amazing card artwork.
Recommended Video Game:
Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
Pros:
It's available for the both the HD twins and PC, it has a great tutorial that explains the rules pretty well and it has a good single player campaign.
Cons:
There's no real deck building other than the ability to remove unwanted cards to trim down any fat.

Pokemon the TGC
Well you can't be a massive multimedia franchise without your own TCG, but what is surprising about the Pokemon one is that is not only good but it's actually kind of amazing.
Recommended Video Game:
Actually there are two! The obvious one is the game boy game which I guess I'll start with
Pros:
It's not just a "choose opponent from menu" type of game and has a small overworld that you can walk around in.
Cons:
It's on the gameboy so the amount of information given to you without having to dig through menus is limited.
The other game is the new Pokemon TGC Online which is free and you can play here.
Pros:
It's free, you can play with other people online, the interface is pretty good, and it has a decent tutorial and singleplayer mode.
Cons:
It has a really ugly and cheap looking artstyle, singleplayer is basically choosing an opponent from a menu, it's still in beta so a lot of features aren't available yet and there are still some bugs.

Yu-Gi-Oh!
Pretty popular game based on a terrible manga and anime. There are a hell of a lot of video games and I wouldn't even know where best to recommend though I'd probably go with...
Recommended Video Game:
World Championship 2011
Pros:
It uses the touch screen interface which is much better than face buttons and a D-Pad, and the 2 screens work well to display information on cards. It also has a story mode where you play as a created character and can walk around and talk to people
Cons:
No DLC means that when new cards are released you're going to have to spend another £30 or so to get the new game. The new games also stay up to date with the anime whose character design gets worse and worse and worse.

Honorable Mention:

Duel Masters (lol)
Actually looking the ruleset up I was wrong to say it's worse than Yu-Gi-Oh as it is pretty good and kind of similar to Magic only allowing you to sacrifice monster and spells cards to use as mana to tap.
Recommended Video Game:
None, like, there's a PS2 game which I haven't played but the GBA games are garbage with a hideous artstyle and giving you 0 information on cards without doing... something that I could never figure out.

This is by no means a definitive list, people should feel free to add there own or expanding on pros or cons for the games I have mentioned.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

They pretty much make a TCG out of everything now. But my personal face has defo got to be yugioh due to the fact it's so easy to learn but at the same time difficult to get that perfect working deck. Esspically with the ban last always changing.
MTails
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MTails »

Gonic wrote:Especially with the ban last always changing.
You mean the forbidden cards?
It's always the good ones too.

How many times do they change the Forbidden Card list?
Click to reveal
If you can see me, welcome to the HB Club: RadioSEGA Branch! Take a seat, and hopefully you'll be released soon. Or maybe you'll rot here forever, who knows?
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Twice a year. Feb and Sept I think
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I've always found the idea of banned stuff amusing. Especially during official tournys since it's basically just saying that their shit is broken.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Haha, even fighting games have that problem. Yugioh is the best. Esspically with putting cards back on the ban list which were removed the previous ban list
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

It must be so tempting to smuggle in a deck full of nothing but banned cards.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I never completely learned how to play YuGiOh. I kinda didn't understand the Stars thingy and other stuff.
UNO is always a nice card game btw.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Uno is a good card game, but it's not a TCG so not really relevant.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Yeah I figured.
We should change this to Card Games in general.