(Finally) The SEGA Events/News Thread!

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

(Finally) The SEGA Events/News Thread!

Post by Twinny »

(If this needs to be moved then feel free!)

Yes, after months of deciding whether this should merit its own thread, with the help of the Random Chit Chat thread, welcome to the "offical" SEGA Events and News thread! Here you can post and discuss any gatherings, events, items, and news (not specifically game-related) involving the ever-loving company!

Now I will start off with this upcoming event set to touch down on Venice Beach, California on October 22nd, 2011 and yes it's part of Sonic's 20th Anniversary! It's called the...

The following is taken from the offical annoucement from the SEGA Blog:

In celebration of Sonic the Hedgehog’s 20th Anniversary and Sonic Generations, we’ve partnered with leading action sports event producer ASA Entertainment to create a historic event — Sonic Generations of Skate — featuring three generations of professional skaters competing throughout the Sonic-themed day. On Saturday, October 22, Sonic and skateboarding fans will descend on Venice Beach, California (on the basketball courts near Muscle Beach), the iconic location where performance skateboarding planted it roots. Viewers in the USA will also be able to catch all the action on FOX Sports Network on Friday, November 25th.

But wait, what does this "historic" event include? Read on, my fellow readers...

This unique one-day skateboarding competition incorporates Sonic’s celebrated qualities of speed, adventure and fun. Twelve of skateboarding’s most elite athletes, including Andy Macdonald, Lincoln Ueda, Pierre Luc Gagnon, Steve Caballero and Tony Hawk will compete for a cash prize in multiple half-pipe events. Videogame fans will have the opportunity to preview Sonic’s upcoming game, Sonic Generations, more than one week before its official launch, for free! Consumers will have the opportunity to pre-register online for clinics with professional skaters and free skate sessions on a 4,500 sq ft street course!

So, many of you must be thinking, how does Sonic and pro-skateboarders have anything to do with each other? Well, sound off below! And don't worry there's more to come soon! As for now, post what you think on this as I prepare to continue finishing up my homework!
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

That sounds cool. Why doesn't Australia get any of these cool events...?

I'll see if I can watch it somehow. Maybe someone will post it on YouTube?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Here's some SEGA news: Valkyria Chronicles 3 isn't coming to the west lol
Twinny
News Team
News Team

Post by Twinny »

Reknoc wrote:Here's some SEGA news: Valkyria Chronicles 3 isn't coming to the west lol
Even though I have nothing to say about Valkyria Chronicles because I never played it, that's another case of "No Export For You" in the case of us Americans. Is there anyone in the west who doesn't mind this "annoucement" anyway?

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

People who can read Japanese, people who don't like Valkyria Chronicles and people who don't own a PSP probably don't care about this announcement.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Still dont understand why they downgraded VC to the psp. First one was amazing on the ps3.
Twinny
News Team
News Team

Post by Twinny »

This item was announced a couple days ago but it's worth mentioning, and yes, it's Sonic related (sue me :P )

First4Figures, the people that gave that awesome Super Sonic figure now brings you Classic Knuckles in Lava Reef, now available for pre-order!

(From the F4F website)
First 4 Figures is proud to present Knuckles! Created in his classic design, he is pounding his signature fist into a rocky base that is submerged in lava that can be found in Lava Reef Zone! We painstakingly added all his details and created an aggressive and dynamic pose that complements his personality. He is 10 inches tall when crouched - fitting perfectly in scale with the others in the series.

Comes in deluxe full color packaging, hand numbered base, and includes an Authenticity Card which allows you to purchase the same number of the model next in the Classic Sonic the Hedgehog series.

This is the fourth in the Classic Sonic the Hedgehog statue series, so if you have bought the first or second in the range, Sonic, Super Sonic or Metal Sonic, and authenticated on our website, you are entitled to the same number of Knuckles!
Check out pics for the original version here

And this description is for the limited edition figurine, from F4F as well:
The base has red and yellow lights that slowly pulse between each color to mimic the lava effect on the base. The lights slowly fade away after you turn them off. He is 10 inches tall when crouched - fitting perfectly in scale with the others in the series.
Check out pics for the limited edition here

Anyone interested in obtain this special item?

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I know Gavvie has bought it, or is going to. I have no interest as I don't have £140 to waste on ugly plastic shit.
Twinny
News Team
News Team

Post by Twinny »

Biggest sonic fan wrote: I'll see if I can watch it somehow. Maybe someone will post it on YouTube?

God , I hope so! I mean at first it might air on broadcast television, but on cable? There's a time where YouTube is your alternative for T.V.

EDIT: While SEGA gives collector editions around the East, here in America, they're giving kids a chance to play and have fun. That's because on November 1st, young Sonic fans will have the chance to play in the first ever Sonic the Hedgehog themed playground!

SEGA of America teams up with the local “neighbohood hub” Youth UpRising plus KaBOOM, the outdoor play non-profit group to design the playground, with large help from the kids as well.

Below's the press release!
[INDENT]SEGA of America Partners with KaBOOM! and Youth UpRising to Build Custom Sonic the Hedgehog Playground for the Children of East Oakland

In celebration of Sonic the Hedgehog’s 20th Anniversary, SEGA® of America, Inc. has partnered with KaBOOM! and Youth UpRising to bring the spirit of Sonic the Hedgehog and the joy of play to the community of East Oakland by designing and building a custom playground inspired by the iconic blue hedgehog.

On October 28th, volunteers from SEGA of America and members of the local community will construct the new playground in just one day. The playground will be designed by the very kids who will be enjoying it, making this new play space very special for the entire community. The space will provide more than 400 children in the East Oakland community with a safe place to play, creating an inspirational and fun location for all to enjoy for years to come.

“SEGA is very excited to partner with KaBOOM! to bring an amazing and unique new play-space to the kids of Youth UpRising and East Oakland,” says Marcella Churchill, Director of Marketing at SEGA of America. “There could not be a better way to celebrate Sonic the Hedgehog’s 20th Anniversary than to continue his message of energy, fun and play among the community with this playground and partnership.”

“We’re excited to be working in conjunction with SEGA and Youth UpRising to provide children in Oakland with a new playground,” said Darell Hammond, KaBOOM! Founder and CEO. “Every child deserves to have a great place to play and with the new playground in Oakland KaBOOM! will move one step closer to our vision of a great place to play within walking distance of every child in America.”

To cap off Sonic’s 20th Anniversary, SEGA’s highly anticipated new title, Sonic Generations™, will be released this Winter. The game features Sonic the Hedgehog, as both the much loved classic 1991 character and the modern-day video game hero he has become. In this exciting fast-paced adventure set across three defining eras of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic speeds through all new stages inspired by the most iconic environments from his 20 year history; playing as Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic in all new, re-imagined stunning levels. Sonic Generations will be available on November 1, 2011 for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and this winter for the Nintendo 3DS™.
SEGA’s Sonic the Hedgehog playground will open for play the day of the Sonic Generations™ American launch date, Tuesday, November 1st .
at Youth UpRising, located at 8711 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94605.

For more information about SEGA or Sonic Generations, please visit www.sega.com.

For more news, follow SEGA on Twitter @SEGA or like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/sega.

About SEGA® of America, Inc.: SEGA® of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA® Corporation, a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment. SEGA of America’s Web site is located at www.sega.com

About KaBOOM!: KaBOOM! is the national non-profit dedicated to saving play. Children today spend less time playing outdoors than any previous generation, a fact that is having disastrous consequences on their health, achievement levels, and overall well-being. To fight this Play Deficit, social entrepreneur Darell Hammond founded non-profit KaBOOM! in 1996 in Washington, D.C. with a vision of creating a great place to play within walking distance of every child in America. Since then, KaBOOM! has mapped over 85,000 places to play, built more than 2,000 playgrounds, and successfully advocated for play policies in hundreds of cities across the country. KaBOOM! also provides communities with online tools to self-organize and take action to support play on both a local and national level.
[/INDENT]

It's nice to see SEGA doing something like this, especally if it benefits the children! And hey, afterwards, they can play some Sonic Generations!

Wow, so much is happening for this anniversary! Complete contrast to 5 years ago!

EDIT#: Those wanting to relive burning tires, check this out!

Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Oh my, that would be cool.

Too bad I'm a teenager now...