A History Of Sonic

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
baraka6
Level 6
Level 6

A History Of Sonic

Post by baraka6 »

A friend sent me a link and said it was an interesting documentary on Sonic The Hedgehog.

Its a good understanding of how he first started right up to current times

Have a watch, its 36 mins long... and apologies if its been posted before but i thought it was good enough to mention!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUgI3Zwm ... ideo_title
brak014
Level 4
Level 4

Post by brak014 »

Is this documentary on the DVD that came with the collectors edition of Sonic Generations?
Visit my website http://theadamwells.com
baraka6
Level 6
Level 6

Post by baraka6 »

I honestly have no idea if it is or not, just posting the link for those who havnt seen it before
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Those early sketches are so good. Trust America to be the ones that screw it up. Kinda makes me appreciate Generations Classic Sonic's design more.

Edit: Did they really say Sonic was the first video game character to get his own cartoon?
baraka6
Level 6
Level 6

Post by baraka6 »

I cant remember if they said that but they did talk about the various sonic cartoons done over the years as far as pushing the character for marketing besides the games series, just so they could make a rival to nintendo lol, you got to admit it worked and very well. I personally would liked to have seen more behind the scenes and development of sonic 1-3K on the megadrive as their my all time favourite
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I think they did, but it's too much of a hassle to find it in the video. Hope they didn't considering Captain N predates Sonic himself.

I agree that I wish they spent more time with the MegaDrive stuff though, just turned it off as soon as they were done talking about Sonic Adventure.

Those original sketches honestly show more personality than both classic and normal sonic combined, or at least a more preferable personality.
baraka6
Level 6
Level 6

Post by baraka6 »

Its hard to realise a sonic with the original sketches as we know the character so well now. but from the first series of sketches they do look quite close to the first sonic comics that come out, so maybe they had their vision but in another format

I would have loved to have a documentary just on the 4 sonic games on the megadrive, with the whole design process, graphics, sound and especially clear up the case of sonic 3 music and the full ins and outs of michael jacksons involvement up to the final release
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

It's a shame they never really talked about the physics. They just talked about how fast they wanted Sonic to be while seemingly ignoring the fact that they had some pretty dope physics for an early game.
baraka6
Level 6
Level 6

Post by baraka6 »

Its a shame to know theres some thing we will never see, i doubt if they filmed behind the scenes. It makes you laugh now that sega spent all that time setting competition against nintendo and now you have mario and sonic in games....