Arcade Finds

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Arcade Finds

Post by Kaito-kun »

We all love arcade games, don't we? So let's show off what gems we've each spot out there in the weird and wonderful world of arcade gaming.

This has turned up at work:
Click to reveal
Share any interesting cabinets you've spotted out there too!
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I've already mentioned this to a few people, but when I was in Springfield, Missouri last summer, I went to this place called 1984 arcade. It's excellent. Has mainly nothing but 80's arcade machines, some 70s. And it's got a TON of them. What makes it even more awesome is you pay $5 at the door and every machine is free to play. The pinball machines are a quarter though but c'mon..it's just a quarter. Also has an amazing atmosphere with old tv's playing old 80s commercials up on the wall, 80s music playing, all the lights are dim, has a bar-like area where you can get snacks and stuff, they even have glowing space invaders in the bathroom (I'm not joking). I was absolutely glued to the Shinobi machine. :D And the arcade version of Golden Axe was really badass too. Also the guys who worked there were super nice. I actually had a conversation about nostalgic stuff for about 40 minutes with one of them.

I'd show you the pictures I took but I figured it'd be easier to just show a couple videos that Gamester81 and Hak5 did.

[youtube]6Oj-fDTyamE[/youtube]

[youtube]qRTruDjAeaI[/youtube]

I've been to a few arcades in my life and I think this is probably the coolest one so far.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

That's more of an example of the dire devolution of the arcade though. Sega went from the immense visual and physical experience of the Afterburner 2 cab to some ghastly crane game operator in 20 years. If I'd have known this was the future back when playing Sega Rally for the first time I'd probably have wept.

I haven't actually seen an arcade cab in months now, probably says it all about the scene these days. I'll keep an eye out now you've reminded me they still exist though.
Tic Tac, sir?
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Yeah I know but I still wanted to share it, and this is an arcade thread..if you want me to get specific, Shinobi and Golden Axe are both at that arcade like I said. :p
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

What?Sorry I was responding to kaito and your post went in before mine.

That arcade in the videos looks pretty damn cool. I grew up in 90s arcades though, so it's a bit before my time, but I'd still have a lot of fun playing defender and centipede in their cabs. If someone made an arcade full of 90s games - ridge racer, daytona usa, lost world, virtua fighter and so on - that would be my kind of nostalgia trip.
Tic Tac, sir?
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Yeah I'm a 90's kid too but anything from the 80s and up I thoroughly enjoy. I'd love to see a 90s style arcade with TMNT, Tekken 2, Mortal Kombat, etc in it too.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:That's more of an example of the dire devolution of the arcade though. Sega went from the immense visual and physical experience of the Afterburner 2 cab to some ghastly crane game operator in 20 years. If I'd have known this was the future back when playing Sega Rally for the first time I'd probably have wept.
I have to agree with you really, but aside from the bowling alley in Carlisle with a DDR machine and a couple of racing cabinets or "Amusement arcades" in Dumfries full of fruit machines. There's not much locally for me to show off. That UFO catcher got the ball rolling in the thread, didn't it? That was my main aim. (And I just like that it has a cameo in the Yakuza games and thought that someone else might've got a kick out of it.)

If I spot anything better of course I'd post it. Sadly, there isn't much around.
Killer French Bread wrote:I haven't actually seen an arcade cab in months now, probably says it all about the scene these days. I'll keep an eye out now you've reminded me they still exist though.
Please do, it's sad. I feel like I've missed out.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I saw this in Wales (cant remember what part) Sometime last year

At the time RadioSEGA was going though a sing along with every 'song' in it.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

If I find an arcade I'll let you know.

Actually one of the shopping centres here has some arcade cabinets set up. Outrun 2 and Silent Scope I seem to remember being there, they also had a small room set aside as an arcade room. Guess that's the power of having Gamecity here.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Whats an arcade?
One of those places filled with Fruit Machines & 2p pushers?

I kid, last time i saw any proper arcadey stuff was Trocadero down London, they had about 2 x 12 Rows of some fighting game, are the little half size cabs

Other than that just the usual Time Crisis/DDR etc