The Economy! We're doomed!

What it says on the tin...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

The Economy! We're doomed!

Post by Kaito-kun »

After looking through the threads I've noticed that there isn't a thread that involves a chinwag about the "Global Economic Crisis". (Or as would be more accurate, the "Developed Capitalist West Economic Crisis"). Which is ridiculous considering it's one of the most important issues of our generations.

The shared EU currency the Euro (€) is on the brink of collapse - thanks to the various deficit budgets of it's member states and rising interest rates - which may end up buggering us up in the UK even further if no-one in Europe wants to trade with us any more, after all the UK also has a gaping deficit which has resulted in sweeping government cuts. America's buggered too thanks to those sub-prime mortgage issues a few years back and it's own level of debt. No-one's got any money really, have they? It's all a bit doom and gloom isn't it?

Thoughts? Someone must have something to say; the Economy is a bloody big subject after all and someone must have something intelligent to say about it.

P.S, China's doing pretty well for itself, isn't it? Who'd have thought the commies would win in the end, eh? Best start practising your Mandarin, kids!
Shockerbey
level 11
level 11

Post by Shockerbey »

think people are just playing it down on the internet, cause lets face it "We're F***ed" isnt the greatest statement coming up to christmas. However i reckon Britain could be in diffs now if something happens. Cameron has pretty much cut all ties with europe now without not signing that agreement. Its not going to go away over night ive gotta say, the next generation could still be feeling this one
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Honestly, i dont think we the UK would be in as much debt as we are if we hadn't of joined the EU

They say "oh if we dont trade with the EU we will starve/be limited food wise"
Orly? I don't see America lacking any food, and what about the commonwealth? Think between that we can scrape up any foodstuff on earth

Then theres the huge amounts of funding we give to the EU each year, then add to that the amount of people we have to let in (some who just come for benefit/work on the side)

What annoys me about The EU themselves is they say we aren't a true part of them as we aren't joined by land, different story when they want our money though

The sooner we leave the EU & start re-developing the Commonwealth the better, just hope Cameron puts through the referendum on whether we want in/out of EU
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

China hasn't been close to communism since Deng Xiaoping saw sense and opened the markets more after Mao died. Capitalism always wins.

Or rather the biggest country always wins - China has been the world's richest country as percentage of global GPD for most of its history, only overtaken in about 1830 or so, and now it's getting it's crown back.
Tic Tac, sir?
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Matty wrote:Honestly, i dont think we the UK would be in as much debt as we are if we hadn't of joined the EU

Orly? I don't see America lacking any food, and what about the commonwealth? Think between that we can scrape up any foodstuff on earth

Then theres the huge amounts of funding we give to the EU each year, then add to that the amount of people we have to let in (some who just come for benefit/work on the side)

What annoys me about The EU themselves is they say we aren't a true part of them as we aren't joined by land, different story when they want our money though

The sooner we leave the EU & start re-developing the Commonwealth the better, just hope Cameron puts through the referendum on whether we want in/out of EU
Did your Dad make you believe this?
Tic Tac, sir?
crush on sonic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crush on sonic »

i honestly don't care what happens to mankind at the moment, so i'm making up a stupid fantasy that when global warming takes over ( face it, its gonna happen) and all the ice caps melt or whatever, humanity will not be affected in any way whatsoever because by then man will have built an underwater dome in which we shall prosper as the people of atlantis did.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:China hasn't been close to communism since Deng Xiaoping saw sense and opened the markets more after Mao died. Capitalism always wins.

Or rather the biggest country always wins - China has been the world's richest country as percentage of global GPD for most of its history, only overtaken in about 1830 or so, and now it's getting it's crown back.
*Strokes imaginary beard* You make interesting points. I knew they haven't been hard line communists since Mao, but they're still a little bit communist, right?

As for the pre-1830 GDP fact, I enjoy learning things.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Matty wrote:Honestly, i dont think we the UK would be in as much debt as we are if we hadn't of joined the EU

Why would looking at America change anything? You've seriously just compared a tiny island nation to a continent.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Reknoc wrote:Why would looking at America change anything? You've seriously just compared a tiny island nation to a continent.
America sticks to itself

We have the commonwealth, i'm sure the size of the commonwealths land put together would easily over shadow the size of the US
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Yeah...our governmnent and bankers are really at ends here...

In the U.S., Nationally it seems to be that U.S. Government can't 'come to terms' with solving waht been plaguing the national economy. Republicans blame President Obama and and Democrats over large deficits and how Obama's policies didn't do a damn thing. Democrats like wise are critizing Republicans for overstepping the needs of the people...it's really a joke honestly...
I, however, firmly believe in the fact he inhirited the plauging U.S. economy; Bush's 'war' policies and overspending on said war are one of his screwups... On the other hand, there are some things that I wished been done more efficiently...

Guess that's what I have to say...and it does look like China is secretly laughing at the rest of world...lucky bastards...