General Fighting Game Thread

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Shadid

General Fighting Game Thread

Post by Shadid »

huntergemini wrote:You know what we need? A general fighting game thread.
I was leaning to do the same, but wasn't sure of the outcome it might get, so LEZZ GO.

General Fighters thread, you can talk about whatever, KoF, BlazBlue/Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, the VS. Series, etc, and talk about the Fighting Game Community as well, such as tournaments or even videos posted on many websites dedicated to the FGC.

Streams:
- TeamSp00ky
- PeacefulJay (it has endless lobbies, UMvC3 or AE Ver. 2012)
- Level|Up (Home of "Wednesday Night Fights", off season now)
- Shoryuken Live 24/7 (Same as PeacefulJay's stream)
- iPLAYWINNER (every Sunday, it has the Southtown Arcade stream)

YouTube Channels:
- Maximillian_dood (Miles923) (AMAZING Marvel 3 tutorials, with the Assist Me! series)
- Cross Counter (home of gootecks and Mike Ross)
- Desk (Really surprising combo video extraordinaire)

Websites:
- EventHubs (General Fighting game news, updated daily)
- Shoryuken (The most-known website related to the FGC)
- The Shadowloo (Australian-based website, same as SRK!)
- iPLAYWINNER

Have ALL the info! *insert meme here*
I live here now!
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

You're awesome for making this thread, Shadid. <3

I really just recently got into this slight fighting game obsession of mine. A few years ago, I didn't care much for them at all. I think BlazBlue: Continuum Shift started all this. I read about it on Wikipedia, thought it sounded like fun, bought a copy of it at my local EBGames and BAM! now all I really play is fighting games.

I currently have Tekken 6, UMvC3, Guilty Gear (the PSOne Classic) and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift. I reckon I play Tekken 6 more than anything else though, mostly because I really enjoy it. That and it's pretty fun to fight my brother in it (and lose.)
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

There was a time when I kept buying fighting games, but I'm terrible at them. So I decided to swear off fighting games... well except for Mortal Kombat 9. Then I started frequenting a IRC room with a few fighting game fans and I started watching Big Two and watched SoCal, next thing I know I have a stick (cheapo admittedly) and KoFXIII.

Which I'll no doubt be terrible at.

Speaking of the FGC and the streams; I had a pretty hard time watching the big two at first since commentary consisted mostly of shouting and nonsense made up terms. LevelUps commentary on SoCal was amazing and surprisingly professional though they even explained some of the terms. Now I can pretty much enjoy both types.

edit: I'm pretty far behind on current games though, still only own Street Fighter IV and BlazBlue Calamity Trigger. Planning on getting BlazBlue: Continuem Shift Extend when it comes out and SSFIV: AE whenever I can find it at a reasonable price.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I like fighting games. I have several iterations of Street Fighter, the two BlazBlues, a Tekken 6, two Mahvel vs Capcoms, a Soul Calibur in a cupboard somewhere and a pair of King of Fighters.

I'm terrible at them, but I like them, possibly because the characters are often intentionally over the top and a bit silly, suggesting that you're not supposed to take the games too seriously - although some people still do which is very, very peculiar.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

Yeah, TeamSp00ky normally is for fun and usually has more shouting, but comparing to SCR, that's when it changes into hype, what fuels the FGC, with combos, comebacks or even sicker stuff.

My story with fghters actually started with Tekken 3, I wasn't that great at it yet it was fun to play, and been neglecting the Alpha games and the VS. Series at that time. That is, until the original Street Fighter IV came out.

I played a few games with my brother on launch and it was fun, yet I sucked at it, and wasn't that great of a player until Super came out. Right there I got to know my main character better, understand the mechanics of the game and how it could be an advantage to my gameplay, etc. And right when I got Super, that's where my love for fighting games flew, bought a cheap PS3 stick, got it stolen, and a few months later got another one, and at the beginning, it started slow with minor streams and local tournaments, but until I watched some EVO videos, part of the 2010 clips, that got me to watch more tournaments, especially Evo 2011, which was amazing.

As for the current scene, I have up to King of Fighters XIII, I only have BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger on PC and don't have Ultimate with me, but I tried them all, up until Street Fighter x Tekken (only the demo).
I live here now!
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

I was going to pre-order a copy of the limited edition of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend, but I've already got Makoto and that creepy announcer voice for the original CS, so it seems kinda pointless to get Extend now.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

I'm holding up until I manage to buy Extend, I was gonna buy Continuum Shift and then buy all DLCs, but then I remembered I was doing that with Marvel 3 and Super IV. So until I manage to get some money, no BlazBlue for me. x.x

In combo news, here's a CMV of Heroes & Heralds Mode:

[youtube]Hg2KNSPM3Rs[/youtube]

It's actu--omg were those 3 gravity squeezes in a combo?!
I live here now!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I'm still waiting for that Tekken X Street Fighter game...
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:I'm still waiting for that Tekken X Street Fighter game...
Well, Street Fighter x Tekken may be fun, not sure if the gems system will help too much, with all the speed boosts and attack buffs.
I live here now!
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Shadid wrote:Well, Street Fighter x Tekken may be fun, not sure if the gems system will help too much, with all the speed boosts and attack buffs.
Hmmm, true, but there's also folks like me that are just happy thinking "WOH MY GOD IT'S STREET FIGHTER CHARACTERS AND TEKKEN CHARACTERS IN THE SAME GAME!!!!"

I'm easily pleased.