RadioSEGA Review: Sonic CD (Android)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

RadioSEGA Review: Sonic CD (Android)

Post by Gavvie »

NOTE: I reviewed Sonic CD on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet, and as such, my score below is based on that device. It's entirely possible that I could've played Sonic CD on my phone and got a different score. Owing to the nature of the Android mobile format, it's safe to say that performance may vary from device to device.

Taxmen: We hate them. If you're having a bad day, you can guarantee that a taxman'll turn up to make it worse. Making lots of cash? Taxman'll take a sizeable chunk of it, to pay for his supposedly self-funded jaunt in the Caribbean. Yeah, the taxman loves to make our lives miserable. With that in mind, why has Christian "Taxman" Whitehead been so applauded after the release of Sonic CD?

Maybe it's because he dared to show off his version of Sonic CD on iPhone when SEGA asked what classic game they should consider re-releasing next. Maybe, it's because instead of slapping him with a Cease and Desist like so many other companies would have done, SEGA took him aside and clearly made an offer he couldn't refuse. Maybe it's because the resulting game just so happens to be the best Sonic port that SEGA have ever released.

Maybe, and more likely, it's all of them.

Developed by Sonic Team Japan after Yuji Naka upped sticks and moved to the US to develop Sonic 2, it revolved around Sonic's journey to Miracle Planet after Eggman has managed to take it over. Oh, and something about Amy Rose being kidnapped by Metal Sonic. With the benefit of hindsight, I would imagine Sonic wished he'd never dealt with that issue, but there we go.

Anywho, as you're travelling through each of the Rounds (yes, Rounds. Acts are now called Zones. Confused? I am), there's posts that will allow Sonic to go all Marty McFly and time travel to either the Past, Present or Future. Owing to the power of the Mega CD, each variation of the level had a different layout and, importantly, a different piece of music to accompany. Past levels were all bright and happy, as were Good Future levels if you were lucky enough to get them. Bad Future levels were grim affairs, usually left derelict as Eggman has moved onto the next area. Badniks are broken-down & depressed, sometimes ignoring you completely or making a very half-arsed attempt at chasing you down. Personally, I like to feel as though Eggman himself in Bad Future boss battles isn't all that bothered about you, knowing that he's already won. The battles are still the same though, it's just a scenario I like to play out in my head.

Of course, this is nothing new if you've happened to play Sonic CD in any of its previous formats. This time, however, there's new stuff. For the first time ever, you can play as Tails and, whilst the game plays no differently as far as the general gist of the game goes, the added level of exploration you get by flying around makes a second playthrough a worthwhile experience. You can also choose between the Japanese and American soundtracks, however to actually switch between them involves quitting back into the main menu. In this day and age, you'd think it would be possible to switch them on the fly. A real shame that you can't.

Last but not least, this is the first Sonic game to be offered in full screen, thanks in no part to Taxman's Retro Engine. Conforming effortlessly to screens of all sizes, it really does feel as though you're playing a Sonic game the way it was meant to be played, and not a port of a game nearing 19 years old.

But then we come to tablets and touch screens. Don't get me wrong, the above is still all true. Sonic CD is a stunning game no matter what you play it on, it's how you play it that becomes a problem. Sonic has always been about speed, and the split second jumps which could be the difference between a 1UP box and a spike pit. On a touchscreen, the lack of any sort of feedback means that you're always running the risk of sliding off the virtual d-pad, or accidentally pressing a direction you didn't want to go, running back into that pit you just jumped over. Whilst it's nice to see SEGA supporting these devices, it's always clear that they're never going to be as good compared to old fashioned buttons.

There's other minor niggles, too. On the title screen, it urges "Touch to Start", and whilst it might just be me, I found I actually had to touch the text to get off the screen. The lack of any vocals in the Japanese opening and closing themes is also a very bitter loss. On consoles, you could just use a custom soundtrack to play over the top. No such option here, and as such the mediocrity of the backing track really comes to the fore.

Make no mistakes, Sonic CD is still a great Sonic game, and possibly the best of his 2D adventures (my personal favourite is still the combined Sonic 3 & Knuckles). If you have to own it on Android, I really must urge that you own a tablet first as I feel having a game such as this on a smaller screen, whilst it would look amazing, would handle really poorly (especially if you have chubby fingers like I do!) Even on a tablet, the game doesn't handle as well as it does on the console counterparts and that, alongside a couple of omissions and weird decisions, do prevent Sonic CD on Android from grabbing a perfect score it was so nearly awarded.

A 4, then, and in the first time in a very long time, it seems we're all thanking the Taxman.

4/5
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

I'd like to confirm that those with keyboards can infact use those to play the game, im not sure about the Xperia Play but my Desire Z plays the game perfectly both on Keypad & touchscreen
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

So this game on another platform is a 5 then? Hah.
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

I *like* the game but I don't love it. The level design breaks it a bit for me. The amount of times I've been mooching along fine just to come to a dead end and have to back out again to find another route is almost heresy in my book. But I really loved the intro fmv and song for this as a kid. ALOT so that gives it an extra 12 on my score just for that so it's about a 13/5 for me.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

If there's one thing about Sonic CD I disapprove of, it's the grating level design. Just by looking at then, it almost looks damn near impossible to finish....
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Reknoc wrote:So this game on another platform is a 5 then? Hah.
I think it's fair enough with these old games. Most people have played them so it will probably be more helpful to review the specific version.
Tic Tac, sir?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Killer French Bread wrote:I think it's fair enough with these old games. Most people have played them so it will probably be more helpful to review the specific version.
I think bad controls for a platformer are worth more than knocking one off.

But I wouldn't even give Sonic CD a 4 with good controls.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Oh right you were moaning about the 5 and not the fact he marked it down 'cause it was on a phone.

I dunno what score I'd give it. I don't mind the controls, but I can't be bothered with going through all the different time zones and figuring out where you can build up speed just to get there.
Tic Tac, sir?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Oh no, I think it's good that SEGA are releasing it on as much as possible since it shows the versatility of the engine even though I doubt SEGA will use it again. Though I don't think all the platforms it's released on are suited for the game it is.

As for the game it's self I dislike the level design, which is also counter productive to the time travelling gimmick which is a massive chore. So much so that it has an alternative way to get the good ending, but like in all Sonic games the special stages aren't very good. I do like the art design though and this version comes with both soundtracks which are quite good.

The engine is great, I'm just sad it was wasted on such a poor game.

I'd probably give it a 2 maybe a 3 if I was feeling generous and a 1 for the mobile versions.

edit: Just to be clear, I'm saying bad controls are for the specific version he reviewed.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

I can kinda agree with that. I'm not the biggest Sonic fan to begin with, and this game doesn't realy change my opinion but it's easy if you don't bother with the gems and is quite nice to just cruise through and enjoy the music and boss fights. I think that's why I still quite like it on a basic level.
Tic Tac, sir?