RadioSEGA Review: Sonic CD (Android)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Never heard of the Taxman until this game came out with the engine he created was used.

I agree, the level design really defeats the purpose of the time traveling gimmick used with CD. For what it's worth, classic Sonic titles were strong for their platforming; CD craps all over that. The soundtracks are welcome, but anyone a fan probably saw that a mile away.
baraka6
Level 6
Level 6

Post by baraka6 »

I had never played this game before.. of course i knew it existed but never touched upon it until now. i had a go with the itunes release, and it hit me with mixed emotions while some parts keep to the traditional sonic through the megadrive years, they also threw in 3d elements, traditional level styles, controls and being able to transport back or fourth between past and future level bases. i felt the gameplay was quite long and was wondering if it was ever going to end but alas i defeated robotnik..... thats right i called him robotnik as i hate the name eggman. I grew up knowing him as the nasty Dr.Robotnik and that he shall stay lol, nice to have a cameo of metal sonic and amy, with tales once completed
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by ResidentSD »

Just as an addendum, Sonic CD on Android does support the Xperia Play's control pad, so if you have one of these devices, you'll be laughing.

I love Sonic CD. I've always loved Sonic CD, and to finally have a version with the 'proper' soundtrack available (as all UK re-releases have had the US soundtrack rather than the original Japanese one) is fantastic. While I agree with Gavvie that playing on a tablet is probably the best experience (I've tried it on my HP TouchPad running Android and it works great) but, as a Samsung Galaxy S II owner, which has a 4.3" screen, I love playing it on the phone. It's probably not going to be 'awesome' if you have a smaller screen, but I did play Sonic 4: Episode I on the iPod touch and that wasn't too bad, so pretty much "you're mileage may vary".

Seriously though, thank you Christian Whitehead for bringing us the best port of a 16-bit SEGA game ever. It's easy to stick a crappy emulation version on the App Store/Market and watch the cash roll in. It's not so easy to give a game a bit of TLC and make a port worthy of the platforms they are being released on, but the result is definitely worth it.

Excellent review though Gavvie!