London 2012: The Offical Video Game of the Olympic Games

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

London 2012: The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games

Post by Twinny »

Well, four years after the 2008 title SEGA has announced the official video game...of the 2012 London Games. And there's video to prove that.

Check it out:

[youtube]PeOt_rcpNhM[/youtube]

Apperently, the second vid is private :S

Aaand here's the press release:
LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (January 17th, 2012) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. & SEGA® of America, Inc., are excited to announce further details for the upcoming London 2012™ – The Official Video Game of the Olympic Games. Favourite Olympic events make a welcome return in 2012, with the addition of new Olympic disciplines, improved modes of play and motion control support for PlayStation®Move and Kinect™ for Xbox 360®. Available for PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, London 2012™ will be in stores for June 2012.

For the first time in an officially licensed Olympic video game, London 2012™ will support motion control in a number of different Olympic events. Budding sports heroes will have an enhanced and realistic way of competing in a number of events that are compatible with PlayStation®Move and Kinect™ including 110m Hurdles, Beach Volleyball (Kinect only) and 25m Rapid Fire Pistol (Move only). Over 30 Olympic events have been authentically recreated in their official Olympic arenas with a host of new disciplines making their debut for London 2012™. Keirin (Cycling) at the Velodrome, 10m Synchronised Platform (Diving) at the Aquatics Centre and Trampoline at North Greenwich Arena are just some of the new events in which you can compete for that coveted gold medal.
In another first for this iteration of the video game, London 2012™ will take the world’s biggest sporting event online in the form of global leaderboards. The leaderboards will track personal medals gained whilst playing online, with each personal medal won added to that nation’s medal table. Every medal won will help to improve a nation’s standing in the leaderboards, creating even more moments of sporting glory and fame across the globe. London 2012™ will contain a number of game modes including single player Olympic Games mode, online and offline multiplayer and party play.

“London 2012™ sees the successful relationship between SEGA, ISM and the IOC become even more exciting in the run up to the 2012 Olympic Games”, commented Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing at SEGA Europe and SEGA of America. “With all new Olympic events and returning favourite sports brought to life with the very latest video gaming technology, everyone can truly compete in the greatest sporting event on earth”.

For more information about the game, please visit: www.olympicvideogames.com/london2012

You know, this game is getting me more excited for the real Games later this year....
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

RW26 BLAZE
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RW26 BLAZE »

Who actually going to the game. I got tickets for the paralympics games. As for the game, I find it frustrating and a lot of broken controllers
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I have to wonder if these games even sell well. They're never any good and I'm sure the license to the Olympics can't be worth it.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

OH MY GOOOD! SEGA OF AUSTRALIA is actually taking part in this game!

I always thought Sega of Australia were just a bunch of people who barely did much concerning the main games.
It seems they might actually be starting to become useful after all...

If this continues and I(OH GOD PLEASE) see the day that Sega of Australia takes part in a Sonic game, then I might not have to move to America after all to apply for a job in a Sega of America.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

That's not going to happen.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Yeah I figured as much.

Guess it's back to the hope of going to America one day...

...or Japan if I ever learn to speak Japanese...
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

SEGA Studios Australia != SEGA of Australia. SSA are a development studio, whereas SEGA of Australia are a subsidiary of SEGA of Europe, and don't do anything except sort out pre-order incentives for retailers and the like.

Anyway, yeah, this game is gonna be pretty awful. Will still pick it up for a review on Kinect, but not expecting to have much fun. Beijing 08 and Vancouver 10 were supposedly rather bad.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

I would say the only thing that stands out from that video up there is the graphical representation of the stadium itself. The :24 mark feels like you are actually walking towards the day's events...but that's just me.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

Gavvie wrote:Anyway, yeah, this game is gonna be pretty awful. Will still pick it up for a review on Kinect, but not expecting to have much fun. Beijing 08 and Vancouver 10 were supposedly rather bad.
I've actually heard SEGA's efforts were one of the best of Olympic simulations we've seen. Not that it says much...

I have played the game for the Sydney Olympics many years ago (I forgot who made it) and aside from the track events (Thumbaches!), and the repetition, it wasn't that bad. Of course, I was much younger and easier entertained. At least SEGA tried to remedy those blistering button bashing sprint races by having the analog stick as an option.
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Yes, but look at the trailer again, it's horribly unrealistic.

I mean...blue skies? In England?!?