Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed!

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

I think the only obvious answer is SEGA don't care for the console versions and that's it really. That or they didn't think the console versions sold well. What can we do? Nout.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Dr Shaneman wrote:I think the only obvious answer is SEGA don't care for the console versions and that's it really. That or they didn't think the console versions sold well. What can we do? Nout.
Console versions sold no better than the PC version, the Wii U sold the majority last I heard in fact. I just don't think SEGA care about this game at all, or at least the SEGA that matters. Look at the extra characters on PC, how many are recognizable SEGA characters? None. And Steam is probably a lot easier to release DLC for.

I imagine the only reason Ryo is on the iOS version is because they wanted to add something for a new version.
KC wrote:Didn't you need to complete events to advance? Collect stars to unlock other events, characters and increasing difficulties?

Sure, there's no rings, but it's the same principle. Skill/effort is rewarded. You won't complete the game 100% if you're not able to complete each event in each difficulty.

The mobile version let's you enjoy the game without paying in the same way. Complete events, get rings, unlock more stuff.
Stars were the difficulty. If you wanted to play hard mode you could and would mean you'd never be want for stars. Stars were not a currency but an arbitrary barrier just like in Mario 64, chances are you'll always have enough except for maybe a character unlock
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Reknoc wrote:Console versions sold no better than the PC version, the Wii U sold the majority last I heard in fact. I just don't think SEGA care about this game at all, or at least the SEGA that matters. Look at the extra characters on PC, how many are recognizable SEGA characters? None. And Steam is probably a lot easier to release DLC for.

I imagine the only reason Ryo is on the iOS version is because they wanted to add something for a new version.
Yeah I'd prefer actual SEGA characters.
Though, what about new tracks?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Dr Shaneman wrote:Yeah I'd prefer actual SEGA characters.
Though, what about new tracks?
I'd imagine tracks take a lot more time to make than new characters. And time is money and money is something I'm not sure they'd want to spend too much on a game that's probably been abandoned by their main company.
SEGANut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SEGANut »

I know this game isn't as good as the original and that next-to-nobody is talking about it anymore, but this was something I made back when I was a member of the wretched place known as the SEGA.com forums.
The attachment Wild Woody All-Stars Racing Transformed Concept.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Wild Woody All-Stars Racing Transformed Concept.jpg
"ARGH, you f***ing Processing, stop being so BLAST!!" - The Angry Video Game Nerd
RetroBob
Level 5
Level 5
Preferred pronouns: That bellend

Post by RetroBob »

You think the original is better, are you crazy?!
SEGANut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SEGANut »

RetroBob wrote:You think the original is better, are you crazy?!
Wow. Having a difference in opinion TOTALLY makes you crazy...

But yes, I DO think the original is better. Much more diverse line-up of characters rather than resorting to making cookie-cutter clone characters (looking at you, Meemee and Pudding), Nowhere NEAR as many glitches and program errors (at least to my knowledge), it didn't need any gimmicks to be a worthwhile racer, Ryo Hazuki was in ALL the versions rather than being Steam DLC Exclusive, and best of all, NO DANICA PATRICK.

The only thing this game has going for it is its diversity in racetracks and The Character AGES. Other than that, not a lot going for it.
"ARGH, you f***ing Processing, stop being so BLAST!!" - The Angry Video Game Nerd
SoloNerfherder
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SoloNerfherder »

I have to admit it, I also prefer the first game. Unpopular opinion, I know. I think I might have posted something about that on this forum a year or two ago saying such.

The second one has a lot going for it, but there was always something about the handling, the nerfing of the drifting to turbo boost ratio and the replacement of the shop to unlock stuff in favour of the stars and map mechanic. It's not so much the map mechanic itself, but the fact that the game is so much harder made it much less enjoyable to try and unlock everything. I never did.

Maybe at this point you're thinking, "Well, too bad you suck at games." Maybe I do at some games, but I'll tell you this: I played the hell out of the first game, right down to some of the hair-tearingly difficult missions until I'd beaten and unlocked everything.

I really expected great things from SART, but the above things disappointed me enough that I just played enough to see all the tracks. I do keep meaning to have another crack at it one day, though. I at least want to unlock the Daytona Hornet for my son :D , and the graphics, track design and music are awesome.

Oh yeah, I also miss the unique All-Star attacks from the first game :( I played SART for several hours, enough to get a handle on the All-Star attacks, or so you'd think... But I never got what they do. And they all seem the same, at least visually.

Danica Patrick and the weird DLC situation are disappointing, too, but I care less about them as, for the most part, they're just pointless additions that have little to do with my classic SEGA era nostalgiafest of a game :)
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

SEGANut wrote:and best of all, NO DANICA PATRICK.
What was wrong with her inclusion exactly?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Gonic wrote:What was wrong with her inclusion exactly?
SEGA assumed people give a toss about NASCAR. Plus, in every race is always felt like it was her or Wreck-It Ralph screwing me over.

People may have thought they were taking up the slot of a couple of SEGA characters who may have been dropped from an earlier roster.