Summer of Sonic 2012

Post here about events relating to SEGA.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Summer of Sonic 2012

Post by Gavvie »

Announced today via the SEGA blog, I'd like to start the discussion ball rolling on Summer of Sonic 2012! Here's what the blog has to say, as it also has more details on Sonic Boom 2012 in the same article:
SEGA Blog wrote:Summer of Sonic will be held in the London area on Saturday, July 7th. This will be the fifth anniversary of Summer of Sonic – and we’re determined to make it the biggest and best show yet! SoS is an all-day event that celebrates all aspects of the Sonic franchise. ‘Zoned’ areas offer a range of different activities – budding artists can sit down at the fan art tables and compete in competitions, speed runners can challenge each other at the retro gaming pods, and the latest Sonic titles are available for fans to try before they’re even released.
Latest Sonic titles? As in..plural? The only Sonic game that won't be released prior to SoS is Sonic 4.2, so...will there be another one announced? HMM.

So, who's going, and what are you wanting to be announced? We'll update you with more details as and when they're revealed.

But, I will leave you with this. I'll be honest, I love it:

Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Gavvie wrote: Latest Sonic titles? As in..plural? The only Sonic game that won't be released prior to SoS is Sonic 4.2, so...will there be another one announced? HMM.
No. There's a difference between "Latest" and "Upcoming".
Gavvie wrote:But, I will leave you with this. I'll be honest, I love it:

You're easily impressed.
ResidentSD
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by ResidentSD »

Kaito-kun wrote:No. There's a difference between "Latest" and "Upcoming".
Agreed, but the full quote is "the latest Sonic titles are available for fans to try before they’re even released". That does sound like there could be more than Episode II to come. Besides, there has been a 'box product' Sonic game released every year in recent memory, so a Sonic game release of some kind at the end of the year wouldn't be a massive shock.

Also, the interesting thing I thought about the logo is how SEGA are really taking ownership of the event and aligning the brand with the US show. Not a massive deal, but I thought it was interesting.
Shockerbey
level 11
level 11

Post by Shockerbey »

Wait, has everyone forgot about Sonic Dimensions???
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Sonic Dimensions was only ever a rumoured title, with no notable sources outing it, and no official announcement by SEGA at any point.

I have no doubt that we're not too far away from a new Sonic game announcement, but whether it's Dimensions or something entirely different is unknown at this point. Additionally, it might not even be in any sort of state to be shown at SoS or Boom.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I'm loving how both logos are showing that SEGA of America and Europe having a much more tighter reign on the event. Of course I won't be able to go ...but I have the live stream to listen to...right?

And another thing, I'm not seeing any other Sonic title other than Episode 2 possibly being there. After Generations and all the hype and promotion around it, Sonic Team needs to relax their feet and just worry about on title, albit a downloadable one.

Oh, and since I live here in the U.S., I'm honestly happier for Sonic Boom returning. I was very surprised to see it come back; I thought last years Sonic Boom event was a one time thing because of the 20th Anneversary...derp.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Heh, heh, I was going to make a post in the SEGA News&Events thread for the sake of news....but.....eh. I got ninja'd :V

But I'm excited for the event, both of them. Sure I won't be able to go (yet) the excitement leading up to them is all the more worthwhile :D

Plus SEGA's actually going full force with the partnership, so far as designing the logos for both events simalartiy. And in my opinion, the new SoS logo is way better looking than the logos of years past, again that's just me.

As with the games, I'm only eyeing Sonic 4.2, since this one has been made official, if there other Sonic game that are going to be unveiled there then I'll be estatic for those.

But as with my brother, the Sonic Boom event has to be more welcoming to me, even if it's on the West Coast.

BTW Gavvie......why didn't you add Sonic Boom in the title? Or is there a separate thread for it too?

EDIT: Speculation for who might be there? Maybe a Cash Cash return?
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

I wasn't too sure as to whether people wanted a seperate Boom thread or not. If you'd prefer to discuss both events in here, I can change the topic title.

It's also in part because RadioSEGA will be involved in some capacity at SoS, whereas we obviously won't be at Boom..unless SEGA wants to fly somebody out to San Diego!
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Well it would be awesome for RadioSEGA to take part in SoS again this year, for I want to see your adorable faces (for once :P )

But Sonic Boom is also a big event as well. There might exclusives to this event and vice-versa so it would make sense to create disscussion on that one here too. But there's nothing to talk about for now so yea.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Very excited for this, but I hope SEGA aren't getting too involved... The great thing about Summer of Sonic is the community involvement, and I would love to see that continue!

This year I'm actually going to plan this right. Get a decent hotel/b&b, make sure I have a few days before/after to relax and enjoy myself. Last year I upset myself by leaving early, as I had started a new job during SoS and the rush to get back home just ruined my fun. I really wanted to spend time with people, and I'm disappointed when I don't!

I also never manage to get any sleep, and that makes me very irritable once the after party hits. This year, I WILL sleep and I WILL party. Hell yes!