Poll: Possible Forum Merger with E-On?

Have something to say, or having any issues? Let us know...

Would You Support a Forum Merger with E-On?

Yes, I would.
56%
No, I wouldn't.
44%

Total votes: 18

Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Last I checked, nobody has commented on there yet. I know one thing, people need to calm down a bit. It's not like it's happening right now anyway. Also a good idea would be to do 3 things..(just my opinion)

1. Hold an IRC meeting and maybe even a streaming Skype call along with that. Schedule it so everyone knows to join in advance. This way there will be no excuse if someone misses it. This would make discussing the issue much easier and more efficient and everyone should be able to get their word in clearly without having to really wait on people to reply since it's in real time.

2. Have a backup plan. If we do merge, and it doesn't work out in our favor, be able to restore the site in the condition that it was in before merging.

3. Give the guys on the other site their chance to voice their opinion as well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Gavvie wrote:OK then, let's go with your idea. How would you suggest improving RadioSEGA from this moment forwards? I'd really like to hear this.
I don't have any, other than the obvious: Make this site worth visiting. Take advantage of what we've already got and capitalise on that.

I'll be honest, if it weren't for two things: A number of the regular posters on this forum whose opinions I've grown to value, I find genuinely interesting or I've just plain grown to like and my responsibilities as a forum mod then I'd have buggered off a long time ago.
Wrath Oskvro wrote: In any form of art, or any community, it's all about the marketing. We do have the live shows yes, but are we advertised anywhere? It also depends on WHERE we're advertised. YouTube is obviously a huge place to advertise, so if the community makes videos on the YouTube channel that are actually worth watching, and will set us apart from others, that could bring in some new members.
From my viewpoint Gavvie's marketing ideas have been little more than a Twitter feed, an abandoned Facebook page, an abandoned Youtube account and occasionally popping to conventions (as a member of the public) while wearing a RS T-Shirt.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Kaito-kun wrote:From my viewpoint Gavvie's marketing ideas have been little more than a Twitter feed, an abandoned Facebook page, an abandoned Youtube account and occasionally popping to conventions (as a member of the public) while wearing a RS T-Shirt.
And not DJing a Sonic convention whilst getting 250 business cards handed out?

Not DJing a gaming convention with the RadioSEGA logo displayed prominently?

Not holding a 24 hour livestream event for charity mentioned on other community sites, Emerald Coast and Sonic Wrecks being two of them?

Something I wonder if you blindly ignore what you consider insignificant, or if you really are that fucking stupid. Unlike your idea of trying to improve RadioSEGA, which is seemingly refuse any of my ideas or pass them off as being "abandoned", I AM FUCKING TRYING.

You're testing my patience now. If you want to piss off, then piss the fuck off. I don't need you around.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Gavvie wrote: You're testing my patience now. If you want to piss off, then piss the fuck off. I don't need you around.
Losing your temper isn't gonna help anything. Also telling members to piss off isn't a good idea either.

Basically what I'm saying is calm down.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Gavvie wrote:And not DJing a Sonic convention whilst getting 250 business cards handed out?

Not DJing a gaming convention with the RadioSEGA logo displayed prominently?

Not holding a 24 hour livestream event for charity mentioned on other community sites, Emerald Coast and Sonic Wrecks being two of them?

Something I wonder if you blindly ignore what you consider insignificant, or if you really are that fucking stupid.
The latter actually. I genuinely forgot about those and I apologise.
Gavvie wrote:Unlike your idea of trying to improve RadioSEGA, which is seemingly refuse any of my ideas or pass them off as being "abandoned", I AM FUCKING TRYING.
I don't doubt that you're trying. Gav, I like you. I like that you're dedicated to the site and I apologise if any of my posts sounded like a personal attack on you. They weren't intended to be. I just worry about this place at times and I get a bit heated in some debates.

I'm still not keen on the idea though.
SimonShirley
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by SimonShirley »

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this (although I have voted already, which I can change behind the scenes :P )

The issue in question sounds like a theme that I have recently gone through at work where I angered the gods (board directors) and that the resolution was to put up and shut up, and so, I'm bearing that in mind when I write this... I do feel a strong sense of walking on tip-toes, not just with this issue but with a number of concerns and if I blurted it all out, I could quite easily offend a whole bunch of people, and taking the previous sentence as a guideline, I won't be doing that.

The way I see it, this idea has both positive and negative points. Starting with the positives:

- Having the forums in one place means that you don't have to visit a number of websites to be active in discussions. You don't have multiple friends lists with the same friends on, and you don't need to repeat yourself in similar topics.

- like what most people have said, it's the forums that create communities. With the forums being merged, you can create a much larger community, with a wider range of subjects. It would provide alternative forums to read and may invoke wider discussion on topics.

- From a RadioSEGA standpoint, it's beneficial that the forums will be hosted here. In doing so, the site can continue to be developed as if this idea hadn't been thought of because RadioSEGA is build entirely around vBulletin which would have been setup here anyway. Not only that but the intention is to use vBulletin as the forum provider which means that the money I've spent (the thing that kicked off the re-birth of Project 7 development) will not go entirely to waste. If we were to switch to something else and we still had the old vB licence (3.8 I think), I wouldn't feel so bad but having spent out recently, I am more concerned, especially as vBulletin upgrades don't come cheap.

And then the negatives:

- If we're not careful, the merger could become an E-On (or whatever it becomes) vs SSMB battle for popularity. All the other sites join forces to conquer the mighty SSMB and compete to be the best.

- One feeling that I have is that RadioSEGA, despite being a site for all things Sonic and SEGA, is a small tight-knit community. It's like one of those estates where everyone knows all the neighbours. Everyone is welcome to be part of it, but the forums are not overcrowded. One fear on a personal level is that we will then be swamped and I'll read about as much as I do on SSMB (bugger all) because there's too much going on.

- Having multiple sites and communities invokes variety. On a shopping point of view, if Walmart was the only place to buy anything, you would be stuck into whatever Walmart decide to promote, sell or praise. Role-Playing has come up as a fear but I can see their point - if there's something you don't like about something, you're not going to hang around in the hope that the rest of the site has what you want. You're more likely to look elsewhere for something that takes your fancy. But where do you go if the other possibilities are linked with the rest?

- The old phrase of "Two many Chiefs and not enough Indians" - Who makes the rules if some of the staff aren't happy with a particular incident is not agreed upon? Who will run the new forum? I know that the forums will be hosted here, but does that put Gavvie in charge of the whole idea? It has been known that if someone (not referring to any one person in particular) doesn't agree with something (not referring to any one particular incident) that people have been banned / refused access / had permissions revoked without the issue being discussed as a team. How would the sites go their separate ways, especially with RadioSEGA being the host, if the site admins stumbled across a situation that they couldn't resolve?

Apologies if what I have written offends or doesn't make a great deal of sense. This is why Gavvie's in charge and I hide behind the wall of code. Looks like a hacked version of the matrix only less awesome XD

Edit: is it odd that after pondering over my thoughts for half an hour and then reading back the posts posted in that time, that one of my sentiments has already come to fruition?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Long time lurker and sometimes chief assistant. More the former.
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

I kinda like the idea of merging with other forums.

More members that actually post is never a bad thing, in my opinion.
vger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vger »

Howdy folks, thought I'd pop up here and put in my two cents... actually I'm surprised my account still works on here not been on here in so long.

Now I'll admit most of what I say will probably be dismissed as biased before it's read considering I run Emerald Coast, but actually you may be surprised by my thoughts on this.

You really need to weigh the pro's and cons on this carefully, for EC joining Etherial Online was a no brainer, a previous attempt at an EC forum had lasted a month I just didn't have time to manage a forum and a website. So having a joint one with Sonic Wrecks worked out for EC.

The way I see it with Radio SEGA is on the positive side you gain access to a larger audience, have an integrated forum that covers multiple sites drawing in more hits. Cuts down on admin time and running costs. And most importantly is able to stand up better to the likes of the Stadium and Retro forums.

However on the downside you do lose your individuality. You would also lose top end control i.e. none of the big decisions like what board type is used or when down time occurs.

On another note I would hope a database merger would be possible in order to preserve everyone's posts on here.

I've just weighed it out how I see it. All I can really say in the end is that it was a positive for EC but the circumstances are very different, whether you think it will work for Radio SEGA is up to you.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

foreversonic....thank you for your post. It made me realize just how important this venture is.

And for the record, the fact that there's so much discussion makes me proud to be a part of something like this. Whether or not this merger happens or not, RadioSEGA will still be RadioSEGA to me.

And holy crap Vger here?

EDIT: Quite a number of people on the boards....me likey.
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

Why is everyone so angry over a role-playing forum?

I like that idea, as I used to be quite the avid forum role-player.

But if we're talking about Sonic RPs, then... ugh, no, just no.