Poll: Possible Forum Merger with E-On?

Have something to say, or having any issues? Let us know...

Would You Support a Forum Merger with E-On?

Yes, I would.
56%
No, I wouldn't.
44%

Total votes: 18

Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Poll: Possible Forum Merger with E-On?

Post by Gavvie »

Hi guys. You might have seen this on Twitter last night and this morning, or heard it on Saturday Night SEGA, but I've been having hypothetical conversations with AAUK of Sonic Wrecks regarding a possible forum merger between ourselves and SW's Entherial Online forums (titled E-On from here on out). It's quite hard to describe the full situation in 140 characters or less on a social networking site, so allow me to outline just what we would do in the eventuality that this was to happen.

First of all, the forums would stay here, on RadioSEGA's domain. In conversation with foreversonic, it was noted that if the forums were to move onto SW, we'd need a second login system so that you could actually request music and leave comments on the new website. Personally, I think that's something that just cannot allow, so the forums would stay on RadioSEGA, where they have always been. In short, E-On would come here, not the other way around.

We also use vBulletin currently, which is something SW have been looking at doing for a while. As E-On would be hosted here, you would not have to re-register, your user details would stay the same. Also, we would be having a little bit of a cleanup forum wise, and obviously adding in new subforums for the other community sites on E-On (SW, SEGA Media & Emerald Coast). Of course, using vB means that, instead of using a generic E-On forum skin, we could offer seperate ones for RS, SW, SM & EC. Website identity on the forums wouldn't be compromised by this move.

I know a few people right now might be wondering why we'd want to do this. Simple: take a look at the forums right now, and look at how many people post. Not many, right? With E-On, and the combined viewership of five websites, activity would increase, and hosting on RadioSEGA would help the site as well, as they'd all be able to request music on the site. You may not know this, but this was an idea we weren't too far away in implementing a couple of years back, with the SEGA Media Network. If you hadn't heard of that, RadioSEGA was looking into a Network merger with FastFeet Media, TSsZ, Sonic Cage Dome and a couple of other sites, with SW lurking on the outside. And yes, we would have shared forums. FFM's rebranding to SEGA Media was a direct result of this network idea.

Now, I'm not trying to push this idea through because we tried it before and fell down as nobody could agree on a common ground. Not at all. I'm wanting to give you guys the facts, and I want you guys to agree on a decision, one way or the other. If there's an overwhelming yes, then we'll look at implementing it, and if there's an overwhelming no, then we'll agree to stay as we are. Likewise, if there's issues you have with the idea, then by all means voice them.

You'll notice there's a poll at the top. There is one last thing I ask - could you please state your reasons for voting either yes or no. It's no good to us if you click one of the buttons and then don't state your reasons for doing so. We don't want a load of no votes purely because your reason is "I don't want to" or "I don't like change". Again, if you have a problem, tell us. We need to know.

Oh, and if you're afraid I'm going to look at a massive negative vote and go ahead and do it anyway, don't be. I'm leaving this decision in your hands because I feel that this is a community decision. I look forward to reading your responses.
Titans Creed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Titans Creed »

I wholehartedly agree. As I mentioned myself on SNS last night, it would make traversing the many forums I frequent a hell of a lot easier.

Plus a general housecleaning overall from both forums wouldn't go amiss :)
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I'll be honest with you; I just don't want to merge with them. Nosing around that forum just makes me think... "Ehhhhhh...No."
Titans Creed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Titans Creed »

Kaito-kun wrote:I'll be honest with you; I just don't want to merge with them. Nosing around that forum just makes me think... "Ehhhhhh...No."
How is that a reason? Haven't you, yourself wanted a bigger community anyway?

Surely the merger and bringing of another THREE websites together, one which already hosts the podcasts I might add, be wise?

You get possibly more requests for the stream, site gets more traffic, more promotion all around. Plus, the community intermingles.

If you're gonna give a reason, do so other then "Ehhhhh... No."
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Project Phoenix wrote:How is that a reason? Haven't you, yourself wanted a bigger community anyway?
No, I've wanted an interesting community. I'd be happier with a smaller community with people I enjoy hearing the views, thoughts and opinions of than a large one full of people I'd be happier without.

Also, I don't trust any forum with a "Role-Playing" subforum.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Our community may be small. Buts it's a very active one. It doesn't really need merging with another forum.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I don't really see a problem with it. Will we get free energy?
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Now that you've explained this better, and not through the limiting medium of Twitter, I can understand where this is coming from. I'm also glad that you've clarified that they would be coming here. In such case, nothing is lost, and instead we gain the addition of other communities.

My issues with a merger is based on two points:

1) That we would lose our forum and re-start a new. This would be especially troublesome after all the hassle foreversonic and the staff have gone through for Project 7. This doesn't seem to be an issue now.

2) We would lose our 'identity' and what makes us RadioSEGA and a community. I imagine this fear is shared by others?

Many of us also have accounts on E-On anyway, I remember a whole bunch of RS people being active on the previous SEGA Media forum, so we're mostly interrelated. Especially since Sonic Wrecks and SEGA Media have/had shows through RS. Having a joint community makes sense in that regard... Maybe EC could have a RS show too? :P

No offence here is meant to Sonic Wrecks, Emerald Coast and SEGA Media, but their communities/forums are rather small when compared to RadioSEGA, at least in terms of overall members. So it's not like they're going to completely overrun us and destroy the RS community. As stated, we're quite interrelated anyway, and we would end up helping each other out: their fans joining us, us joining them, etc.

I also don't see how the forum would change much either, thinking about it. We would have the usual stuff, like a games forum, SEGA forum, off-topic, etc. Then have specific forums for Sonic Wrecks, Emerald Coast and SEGA Media, and those could also be divided into sub-forums for any specific thing as well, such as Role Playing forums which could be hidden away in a sub-forum for those to ignore if they choose. We could still have a RS show and podcasts forum, we could even have one for each show (hint hint) as an example.

So, thinking about it, I don't see how this could be a bad thing if we gain more people and some new stuff to talk about. Plus it makes sense, we're pretty much one big family anyway!
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Reknoc wrote:I don't really see a problem with it. Will we get free energy?
Highly doubtful, I'm afraid. Good spot on that though, I was wondering how long it'd take, and who'd get it first.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Now by merging with E-On, yes it could bring an influx of new people from the community. and I like that.

...however I hope they still be active on from there on here.... plus I've seen some of the topics on there..and I'm not really into some of those threads from E-On, to be honest...

Plus, why do get the feeling more Sonic-based disscussion become of this?

In the end I'd say....no....I agree with Kaito-Kun with the small community thing....how many people from E-On (besides the staff) are truly SEGA fans?
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010