CRUSH3D Comes to the 3DS

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

CRUSH3D Comes to the 3DS

Post by Twinny »

Does anyone heard of the game CRUSH? That PSP puzzle game where you had to alter the game plane from 2D and 3D in order to make it from one end of a level to another? Well, it's back and, judging by its title, it's coming to the Nintendo 3DS for North American users March 6th 2012, after it's eariler release for Europe on January 13th.

A trailer for the Europeon version was released eariler this year and even though it's already on sale there is a new demo for the game over at the EU Nintendo E-Shop right now.

As reported by Sonic Wrecks' own T.A. Black:
The demo itself is a simplistic affair, showing the introduction of the game, as well as the tutorial level and the first three levels. Each core level has three challenges associated with it – to max out your marble score (whilst getting at least half the total to open the goal), to obtain a hidden concept art book and to grab a trophy. Unfortunately, in the demo this means nothing aside from bragging rights. Not even the use of a penguin and a toaster can gain you access to them – at least, not from what I’ve tried.

The use of 3D within the demo is alright, but not outstanding. You get the depth whilst playing in the 3D plane, and when you crush to 2D, that also disappears (as expected). It’s a clever touch, but it’s not up to the detail of games such as Ocarina of Time. It also doesn’t add much to the game if you play with 2D or 3D, but it’s a nice added extra if you want to use it.
Overall, it’s a nice demo, but it’s not ideal. It’s very short with only 3 core levels – after that, it goes back to the title screen and resets the entire demo. There’s also no save function at all, so if you decide to quit and return later, you’ll need to go through the tutorial and other levels again. And as mentioned before, it doesn’t gain you access to extras (such as new dressing gowns and concept art). It does what a demo is supposed to – tease the basis of the game to allow you to make up your mind as to whether you want it or not. It’s completely free, so it is worth a try if you’ve got 15 minutes to spare.

The demo is available through the 3DS shop for free, with an approximate size of 627 blocks. As with all 3DS demos, it is only available for 30 plays/activations before it deletes itself.

So anyone from across the pond had experience with this title? Or is anyone form North America looking into trying this game for themselves? I'd say this is an interesting game, although I never played the original, might grab the demo when it releases here (I hope)
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

Ooh demo, nice! I saw this the other day when shopping around. I've not played the original, although I've heard many favourable things, especially by AAUK actually. I shall have to give the demo a go.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Bah... I got excited by accidentally reading it for "Crash" and I was like, "Yes! Finally a new crash game!"
metalgamer
Level 8
Level 8

Post by metalgamer »

Looks really good. If I had a 3DS, I would try and get this game.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

As mentioned from above, the 3D does little to enhance the 3D aspect of the levels but it's a nice touch of sort to gameplay, nonetheless.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Played the demo, seems like an interesting enough puzzle platformer but I found it to be pretty dull. The 3D adds some nice depth which works pretty well considering how it uses 3D camera angles.

One thing I didn't like at all though was the art style. Man it's ugly.
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:Bah... I got excited by accidentally reading it for "Crash" and I was like, "Yes! Finally a new crash game!"
Really, the newest Crash Bandicoot related THING I've seen is that foreign McDonald's ad I've referenced from last month.

I don't see a new Crash game coming ever unless Naughty Dog decides to get it back after they're done with the Uncharted saga.

OK - off subject a little there. Back to subject.
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Naughty Dog haven't made a Crash game since the PS1, nor do they hold the license. I'm not even sure who does anymore come to think of it, maybe Activision.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Meh. I would be delighted if a new Crash game would come out.

Now back to CRUSH. I've never played the original Crush but wasn't it a PSP game? Never thought a PSP game would make it into a Nintendo game.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Biggest sonic fan wrote:Meh. I would be delighted if a new Crash game would come out.

Now back to CRUSH. I've never played the original Crush but wasn't it a PSP game? Never thought a PSP game would make it into a Nintendo game.
Why? It wasn't made by Sony, no reason not to port it. Except that it looks awful and probably not even worth the full price it'll retail for.