March 2012: Outtrigger (Dreamcast)

RadioSEGA's Game of the Month is back! Feel free to drop your comments in here.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

March 2012: Outtrigger (Dreamcast)

Post by Gavvie »

I do apologise that this month's Game of the Month article is going up as late as it is, but it really did take me a while to pick a title which I felt deserved some recognition, and I've decided to settle on this delightful little FPS game from the Arcade & Dreamcast days.

You see, back in those days SEGA didn't really dabble in the FPS genre, not including rail shooters of course, but back in 1999 (2001 for the Dreamcast release), SEGA-AM2 released this beauty. OK, it wasn't exactly a FPS as it also offered a third person perspective, but even so, it was a rarity for SEGA.

Outtrigger put you in the shoes of one of four members of the counter terrorist organisation called Interforce, which was set up to combat acts of terrorism on milarity facilities. This was done in a variety of manners, including straight up Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch game modes, as well as a few other FPS staples of the time. It also featured 6 player online play in the DC release, and was one of the few games that supported the broadband adapter.

Wait, hang on? 6 players...with 4 characters? Well, you could create your own character, mixing and matching the best bits of the four already available, and the single player mode did also have some unlockables for you to play as. Some of these were pretty mediocre (a couple of security soldiers and other faceless models), but one was pretty awesome: Shinobi. Unfortunately, he didn't have a weapon loadout consisting of swords and shurikens, so he looked a little strange running around with a sniper rifle. It was still a nice little nod to include him, however.

This game won't ever be noted for being long. The single player, whilst challenging in places, only consists of three Mission Modes of varying difficulties, and past that there is only the Multiplayer mode, which you can populate with bots if you're on your lonesome. The weaponry is also somewhat uninspired, consisting of laser guns, grenades, machine guns and one of the most overpowered rocket launchers I can recall. If you had hold of one, you'd pretty much won.

Still, when it came to the limited options the Dreamcast had when it came to FPS games, Outtrigger is up there with Quake III Arena as one of the best. But then, when your other alternatives are shoddy ports of Rainbow Six & Soldier of Fortune, that really isn't saying a lot...
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I had this many years ago. Can hardly remember anything about it now though it was such an unremarkable game. The review kind of says what I think about it - I hear people bring this game up every now and then as a good DC title, but it wasn't. It was pretty shite, at best an average arena shooter. But then there were only about 2 more of those on the console.
Tic Tac, sir?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Wait, this was an FPS game? Holy shit, I always thought it was a lightgun game so I avoided it.

edit: though a DC FPS game isn't really worth not avoiding either.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I'm going to assume that there's a very good reason I've never heard of this game until now.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Kaito-kun wrote:I'm going to assume that there's a very good reason I've never heard of this game until now.
There is; it was on the Dreamcast.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I didn't mind Soldier of Fortune other than the load times..and Unreal Tournament is also good
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Sorry for being late to the party...but why did this stop?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Starlight wrote:Sorry for being late to the party...but why did this stop?
On the forums yes; but now it's part of the front page under News & Features.
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Oh okay then, although I rarely go on the News Section for some reason. (excuse to go now)