Sonic 2 HD

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Sonic 2 HD

Post by Reknoc »

Didn't see a thread for this already, maybe I just missed it.

http://www.s2hd.com/

Sonic 2 HD Alpha has been released ready to play. It's just the first zone though.

If you don't know, Sonic 2 HD is a fan game to make a HD version of Sonic 2. HD is quickly starting to become synonymous with no artist talent for me though, every thing just looks boring, clean, sterile and not really appealing at all.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

They're still working on this then.
Last news I heard was a considerably long time ago now.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Is this really a thing that needs to be made? I thought Sonic 2 looked fine as it was and it's not as if it's a game that's hard to track down. Heck, browsing the screen-shots of this unofficial knock-off I think the original game looks better.

Does SEGA know about this?
crippenstation
Level 9
Level 9

Post by crippenstation »

Just saw a vid of it, and although adding the 10-ring item box to some floating platforms is annoying, there are some improvements made such as running and start-of-stage IDs. Other than that, it's pretty much the same thing.

Honestly, I would rather see Chemical Plant than Emerald Hill. Emerald Hill in itself was more of a knock-off of Green Hill from the original game (Sonic '91). Chemical Plant would put the engine to the test if it really stays true to the original game.
Beware of your mind as it proves you wrong...
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Kaito-kun wrote:Is this really a thing that needs to be made? I thought Sonic 2 looked fine as it was and it's not as if it's a game that's hard to track down. Heck, browsing the screen-shots of this unofficial knock-off I think the original game looks better.

Does SEGA know about this?
It's not like this game is on the basis of Sonic Fan Remix...I for one like the style of the game from the view of the screenshots myself. To me, I would consider this a very well made fan game so far.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I do like how act transitions work in it.

But really the clean flash-like look of the graphics are almost as bad as Backbones disgusting smoothing options. It's no different than Earthworm Jim HD or Final Fantasy IV on the PSP.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Downloaded it, will post my opinions on it later.

For one thing I've found out, This 'fan-game' was created as a 'Sonic Retro Community Project' for a while, so while some of you here may not see it as a big deal, they obviously do. It's Sonic Retro, they are known in the Sonic community for these kind of things. But now in its Alpha release, it will become a closed project. Appearantly that is slap to the face fot them.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Not to be whiny or nitpicky about this but...

THE GAME LOOKS AND PLAYS FINE. Also what the hell is there to complain about when it's a fan made game. Free. Complaining about a game that's free? Really?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Wrath Oskvro wrote:Complaining about a game that's free? Really?
"Free" and "Good" are two completely different concepts. Besides, my main complaints aren't the quality of the game but rather "Why does this need to be made?" and "Surely SEGA don't approve of someone stealing their game and tarting it up and passing it along for free?"
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Wrath Oskvro wrote:Not to be whiny or nitpicky about this but...

THE GAME LOOKS AND PLAYS FINE. Also what the hell is there to complain about when it's a fan made game. Free. Complaining about a game that's free? Really?

^THIS

Haven't you already noticed everyone loves to complain here Wrath? There's always a new topic to bitch about every week :3 Some I agree with, but this no. I'm impressed with this for it being a fan game