Yakuza 5

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Yakuza 5

Post by Twinny »

Well this is interesting...it seems a new title in the series is heading our way....

Taken from news post on the front page:
You may want to keep an eye out for next Thursday because SEGA has just updated the official site of the Yakuza series, showcasing what may be a brand new game set to hit consoles soon, says SEGA Addicts.

The website said the new update came with a new redesign for the site (EDIT: Which doesn't seem to be working atm) , and included what appears to be a construction site, and this very site has Kiryu, Haruka, and Majima from the series on there as well. There's also a trailer reliving the series past, ending in the words "And then…” followed by “First look on May 24″ toping it all off. So it is pretty obvious that there wil be a "5" on the way, or something similar. But until then just have this screenshot as your clue until next Thursday.
Btw the series' site is down for some reason...so you can't actually see it...sorry. But yeah, it looks like we have to wait for next week Thursday to see what happens. And while on the subject, how do you view the series as a whole?
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

We already knew Yakuza 5 was coming though. Nagoshi pretty much announced it during the last event where they showed off the second PSP game.

Looking forward to seeing what they do though, then looking forward to never getting to play it because there's no way SEGA will risk a Yakuza game in the west again.

edit: http://andriasang.com/comxv7/nagoshi_yakuza_5/
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Yakuza 5? Ooo...seems like a gamble for SEGA with this one. But at least this is one franchise that isn't going down the crapper.

And since this is technically coming from the company regarding the new title, this is where I'm hearing the info first. :P
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

It's not a gamble at all. The Yakuza franchise is pretty popular in Japan.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Reknoc wrote:It's not a gamble at all. The Yakuza franchise is pretty popular in Japan.
In the West though, based on your last post? Saying that there's "no way SEGA will risk a Yakuza game in the west again" ?

Hell yeah it's popular in Japan I'd figure.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Reknoc wrote: Looking forward to seeing what they do though, then looking forward to never getting to play it because there's no way SEGA will risk a Yakuza game in the west again.
Yeah, it's a shame. There's a part of me that wants to buy Dead Souls for the sole reason of trying to increase the chances of Yakuza 5 appearing in the West.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

TheChaosBlue wrote:In the West though, based on your last post? Saying that there's "no way SEGA will risk a Yakuza game in the west again" ?

Hell yeah it's popular in Japan I'd figure.
Releasing it in west isn't a gamble though, it's just a stupid decision. They have no reason to release it in the west so there is no gamble because it'll do well everywhere it's released.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Reknoc wrote:Releasing it in west isn't a gamble though, it's just a stupid decision. They have no reason to release it in the west so there is no gamble because it'll do well everywhere it's released.
Uh....SEGA wants to make profit? Considering their financial postitioning right now? Eh, just a guess from myself. I see where you're getting at though.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

TheChaosBlue wrote:Uh....SEGA wants to make profit? Considering their financial positioning right now?
Exactly, why would SEGA bother localising and releasing it for a territory that doesn't really want it?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

TheChaosBlue wrote:Uh....SEGA wants to make profit? Considering their financial postitioning right now? Eh, just a guess from myself. I see where you're getting at though.
If you were running a game studio, and you were in financial trouble, would you spend money releasing a game that doesn't sell?