Comparing The Sega Genesis

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Comparing The Sega Genesis

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Just a few discoveries I made today about the Genesis Model 1 and 2. I'll throw in a comparison with the 32X as well just for good measure. These tests were done on a 27 inch Sony Trinitron CRT TV.

So first of all, contrary to popular belief, the Sega Genesis Model 2 does output true stereo. I've always been told that it only put out mono (or cloned mono since there are both red and white cables, which means the same sound out both speakers) however, this isn't true. The way I found this out is, I plugged the Model 2 genesis in with only one of the audio RCA plugs, and turned on Vectorman. Some of the sounds from the game's music were missing. Then, I plugged in the 2nd audio plug and whatdya know, the sounds that are missing are no longer missing! So yes, the Model 2 Genesis does indeed do true stereo. However, the Model 1 still wins in the sound department just by a little. Reason being, the Model 1 puts out more bass than the Model 2 does. That's about the only difference though.

Second comparison. Video quality! I got curious and wanted to know which system had the best video signal because I haven't really seen anyone talk about it. So I did the same side by side comparison with both systems and the same game, Vectorman. The Model 2's video quality looks okay on a smaller 13 inch CRT, but on my 27 inch Sony, it's abysmal. EXTREMELY grainy. The Model 1's video is most definitely superior. There is still a little bit of artifact, and some rainbow banding on certain games, but it is light years ahead of the Model 2. So, the Model 1 wins again in terms of video.

Last comparison. I've heard that the 32X improves the video quality because it has its own video encoder. So I tried Vectorman on the 32X. The only difference I could see is that the 32X removes the rainbow banding. Rainbow banding is such a subtle thing though it's pretty hard to notice on most games unless you look for it.

So in terms of video quality, the 32X wins ever so slightly. I just thought I'd share this little tidbit of information that I just found out. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

I Know my Megadrive 1 and the Megadrive 2 I had a year ago (before I sold it) The MD 2 is just awful!! It's not true stereo! it's mono! You thought it was stereo because the fm sounds were missing from one channel! It's audio encoder (along with the zilog z80) that produce the sound which is seperated to two types (fm and sfx). They are mixed with a "final" amplifier which gives two channels (left and right) In your case the amplifier must have the one channel "fried" so it doesn't output the fm or sfx! However you can make the MD 2 and Genesis 2 produce the best sound they can with this: link (you need electronics experience).

There are differences with the audio encoders and amplifiers on the model one's too! The high definition ones output the best sound! Mine wasn't a HD model and it was awful. I replaced the capacitors and the sound amp with one I designed myself (Lost the schematics, whyy??)

Then it's the video encoder! The model 2 has the worst encoder , it's a cxa 1145 clone! ( I think it's a samsung)
The model 1 also has some s**tty encoders too! The ones that aren't high definition have the original Sony cxa1145 which is the best!

Finally the processor brands have to do with the sound and the video too!
There are three brands: Motorola , Signetics and Hitachi (the most rare, which I have)

The best one is the Hitachi, because it consumes less power and can be overclocked the most!
Then second is the Motorola which is the most common
and last (and worse) is the Signetics one which produces more heat, can't be overclocked much, consumes more power and doesn't handle properly the sram which causes lags!

Here's a photo of my Megadrive model one with the Hitachi 6800 processor, the Sony cxa 1145, the switchless region mod, s-video output and pal 60hz! Unfortunately a transistor stopped working on my sound amp, so I removed it 'till I order a new transistor! I have also temporarily replaced the heatsinks!
Attachments
P1050209.jpg
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

So, although the left and right channels both have different sounds, you're telling me it's still mono.

Alrighty then.

But yes, I'm aware the model 2 pretty much sucks all around other than its aesthetics. I'm not saying it's any better than the model 1.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Take a look at the two schematics I made (on the fly)

Model 1
"broken link"

Model 2
"broken link"
The problem on your model 2 is that the fm on the left channel doesn't get mixed properly with the sfx on the "cr***y transistor amp"

So you thought that you heard different sounds but the full fm was missing from the left channel, while it was properly mixed with the right channel!

EX:

Left:

Input ______ Output:
Sound 1 ____ OK
Sound 2 ____ NO sound
Sound 3 ____ OK

Right:

Input _____ Output:
Sound 1 ___ OK
Sound 2 ___OK
Sound 3 ___ OK

Get it now??
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Possibly, but I get the same exact results if I remove a plug from even a model 1 Genesis.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Does it say High definition graphics on the case??
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Yes, it does. I had a non "HD" model in the past and I'm aware of how crappy the audio is on that one too. The non HD model 1 actually sounds worse than a Model 2. Sounds like someone put a blanket over the speakers.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Wrath Oskvro wrote:Yes, it does. I had a non "HD" model in the past and I'm aware of how crappy the audio is on that one too. The non HD model 1 actually sounds worse than a Model 2. Sounds like someone put a blanket over the speakers.
The only thing I know is that the amp on your model 2 is half-fried! You can try and do the crystal clear audio mod!
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Half fried? Um unless every Genesis model 2 is 'half fried' I doubt it.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Wrath Oskvro wrote:Half fried? Um unless every Genesis model 2 is 'half fried' I doubt it.
END OF CONVERSATION!!! I don't have anything else to say!