Are the sound capacitors in my game gear failing?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Sega dude
Level 1
Level 1

Are the sound capacitors in my game gear failing?

Post by Sega dude »

This morning I was playing Power Rangers on my game gear. The sound kept cutting out for 10-15 seconds and came back. It did this several times. This game gear already has problems with the video capacitors. Are the sound capctors going too?
richarddavies
Level 14
Level 14

Post by richarddavies »

Probably, they are a known failing point on the game gear. Mine doesn't have any sound anymore. There are people on ebay that offer a repair service or if your feeling brave you can just order a new part off there. Apparently it's pretty straightforward to replace.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Yep, the capacitors went bye bye!! If we lived close, I would replace them for you. If you have experience with the soldering iron, you can do it easily! You just open the case, see the capacitor values, order new ones! Then you desolder the old ones and solder the new ones! However if you don't have that much experience, don't try it!
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I've pretty much given up on getting a working Game Gear myself. Every time I get one, something's wrong with it. o_o Not always capacitors either. Pieces of junk.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Wrath Oskvro wrote:Pieces of junk.
The same for the Saturn!
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

Lol, that's bull. I've never had any issues with a Saturn and I've had two (first one got hit by lightning xD), and know a couple people who have had Saturns too.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.