Comic Book Thread

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: Bruh

Comic Book Thread

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I could have sworn there was already a thread for this but after searching, I couldn't find one.

So anyone here into comics or graphic novels besides me? I'm not hardcore into them or anything but there are a couple notable things I REALLY love.

First of all, ever since I saw Watchmen in theaters, I've loved the series ever since. It's my all time favorite movie, and it lead me to buy the graphic novel for it. And it's my favorite story ever written. I love the multilayered story and all of the characters. It's not just another comic/story to me, because when I first saw the movie it really impacted me due to of alot of things in my life that I was dealing with at the time, and it's the first movie that actually made me FEEL something. Really love this series, so I'm actually getting all of the Before Watchmen books as they come out as well. They aren't by the original author, but I don't care. The first issue is very well written and I'm always up for more Watchmen material. There's a high respect for the original novel as well from these new authors.

I also really dig V for Vendetta, Sin City, The Killing Joke, and From Hell. And the animated adaptations of the comics that I've seen are Batman: Year One and Batman: Under The Red Hood and I really like those as well.

There's also Eternal Descent which is really cool. It's a series by this guy named Llexi Leon who started as a musician with a band of the same name, and he took the world of Metal music and combined it with a fantasy world type comic. Very cool stuff. I've only read the first issue, but I do plan on getting the graphic novel eventually.

As you can see I'm more into graphic novels rather than a comic series that has hundreds of issues. I like the story to actually have some kind of conclusion; don't like it to be too overdone. I haven't been into this stuff for too long, as like I said, it started with Watchmen in 2009. But so far I've been introduced into some amazing stuff.
--

Also if any of you have any recommendations, do let me know. I'm really into the darker themed stuff. Don't really care for Superman, Spiderman or Fantastic 4 mainly because I just don't like the characters.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

*giggle giggle*
OK ok where to begin....

Here are some of my favorites
A History of Violence
Blankets
Habibi
Black Hole
Y:The Last Man
The Walking Dead
Watchmen

Just got into American Vampire which is written by one of the greatest writers the industry has to offer who's writing the new Batman comics which has been mind blowing.

Im a batman fan. If you want to get into him here's a good start.
Batman Year One
Batman The Long Halloween (takes place shortly after year1)
Batman Dark Victory (Sequel to Long Halloween. Introduces Robin)
The Killing Joke
[url=http://Arkham%20Asylum:%20A%20Serious%20House%20on%20Serious%20Earth]Arkham Asylum[/url]

If you want to get into the mainstream comics like Batman, the best way to introduce yourself to any character you want is by watching the animated television shows.

Here are my recommendations (Sorry only can help you with DC)
Batman:The Animated Series (The best superhero show and the best animated show ever made. It's dark, gritty, and explains almost everything you need to know about the Batman Universe.)
Superman: The Animated Series (I know you don't like superman but i say give the show a shot. Made by the same people who made the batman show. The story arc where Superman and Batman meet for the first time is just pure gold)
Justice League (Same creators and universe as Batman and Superman)

Justice League Unlimited (Sequel to Justice League.)

Batman Beyond (Takes place in the future in the same universe as all the previous shows)
(all the shows above are considered as some of the best superhero and animated shows ever)

Green Lantern: The Animated series (I just started getting into GL Universe cause of this show, im not a big fan that its CGI but i got used to it and some episodes i have to say are gorgeous because of the ring powers)

Young Justice (Dark and serious Teen Titans show)
The Captain
Level 8
Level 8

Post by The Captain »

I friggin' love all X-Men stories that use mutation as a metaphor for racial issues (New Mutants 2003, X-23, NYX etc). Any X-Men (and most other) comics that involve time travel, dimension travel, aliens, clones, demons or time-travelling demonic alien clones from dimension X can get tae fook.
Not totally teetotal.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I haven't read any comics recently. The last comic that I read was the Sonic Archie Comics.
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

I really want to get into more of the Batman comics and some of the X-Men ones but priorities and lack of funds keep me from doing so. XD
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cmXX ... T2LjS5oUOg Like guitars? Like games? Like Metal? Check my Youtoob.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I own exactly 5 comics/graphic novels/collected volumes:

From Marvel I have Civil War, Annihilation vol 1 and a random Fantastic Four volume.

From Udon I have a couple of the Street Fighter comic collections.

Yeah, I'm not much of a comic kind of guy, but I give 'em a go now and then and I've enjoyed what I've read.
The Captain
Level 8
Level 8

Post by The Captain »

The new TMNT is good. What I've read of the new The Shadow issue one is brilliant.
Not totally teetotal.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Used to buy comics when I was a kid if they had a wagon wheel or refresher bar free on the front. Not bought any since then. Did have a moment of weakness once when I found myself drunk and in a newsagent's and considered buying Viz, but then I spotted a pepperami instead.

I guess they must be getting more popular though cos they changed the grungy looking game shop called another world in leicester into a comic shop a few years ago. I bought loads of games their when I first got into gaming and it was always my first stop if I was after something. I still remember when I first walked in and realised it was a suddenly a comic shop. I felt well weird, spooked in fact. It must have been like when people like derek acora walk into haunted houses and get a bad vibe and feel a cold chill. Everywhere I looked there were glassy eyed japanese faces staring at me with the odd glance from the green goblin. Never went in again.
Tic Tac, sir?
Shockerbey
level 11
level 11

Post by Shockerbey »

so how are you finding Avengers vs Xmen?
Wrath Oskvro
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Wrath Oskvro »

o_o Interesting story ya got there KFB. I've never heard of a game store turning into a comic store, that blows my mind. Speaking of that, DAMMIT I wish there were comic stores near me. The nearest one is pretty out of the way.

Kaito: Street Fighter comics eh? Any good? I'd like to get ahold of the Mortal Kombat comics myself.