The Senkaku/Daioyu Islands Issue

What it says on the tin...
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I thought it was funny when Taiwan got involved by sending a load of their boats out to water cannon the japanese boats. Like a massive super soaker fight on the high seas.
MisterStream wrote:We only have to look back to the early 20th century when Japan vastly expanded its empire throughout east Asia. The effects of which are felt to this day - there is much resentment. It's Japan flexing its former imperial muscles. Like many territorial disputes, it's not the land that the arguing states want, it's the oil reserves under the sea. *cough*Falklands*cough
Yeah i suppose you could cook up some conspiracy theory that we only want the Falklands for the oil. Or it could be that the Argentinians have no claim other than an imperial one of their own so we'd rather not had over an island full our our citizens to be ruled by Buenos Aries against their wishes, thanks.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Update on the situation:

"Blah blah blah, you enter our airspace we'll open fire, blah blah."
"Yeah, well, if you do that then we'll make sure you can't fire a second time, blah blah..."

It's all talk really. Neither of them genuinely want a fight.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

I reckon the chinese would secretly love a dust up, and they can't seem weak here as they have a list of disputes over other island in the south china sea, plus mainland territorial disputes with russia and india. plus japan is far too proud to back down easily.

overall i'd still say the middle east is where it's at for world war three though. Islam much more mental than chinese national pride. nothing beats islam for mentalness.
Tic Tac, sir?
MisterStream
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MisterStream »

Killer French Bread wrote:japan is far too proud to back down easily.
Amen!
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Killer French Bread wrote:I thought it was funny when Taiwan got involved by sending a load of their boats out to water cannon the japanese boats. Like a massive super soaker fight on the high seas.

Yeah i suppose you could cook up some conspiracy theory that we only want the Falklands for the oil. Or it could be that the Argentinians have no claim other than an imperial one of their own so we'd rather not had over an island full our our citizens to be ruled by Buenos Aries against their wishes, thanks.
You're right the first time, it's about the Oil.

What do we have then? Godzilla vs Oppa Gangnam Style?

World War III in Asia? Makes a change to the Europe/Africa conflict of the first and Europe (with some fights in China and Japan) of the second.

But....I don't want a war over some stupid oil. -_-
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Starlight wrote: What do we have then? Godzilla vs Oppa Gangnam Style?
I can't see Japan and South Korea starting a fight any time soon. They may not get along but at the moment it's a case of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" as they both try to deal with North Korea.

Besides, if they were to start a conflict with each other it would be settled with an SNSD vs AKB48 dance battle
Starlight wrote: But....I don't want a war over some stupid oil. -_-
Too late, you've got one! /ControversialIraqWarStatementBasedOnIgnorance.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Starlight wrote:You're right the first time, it's about the Oil.

What do we have then? Godzilla vs Oppa Gangnam Style?

World War III in Asia? Makes a change to the Europe/Africa conflict of the first and Europe (with some fights in China and Japan) of the second.

But....I don't want a war over some stupid oil. -_-
There have been attempts at developing oil fields around the Falklands. This has little to do with the situation now it's just another thing to add to the mix. It goes back much further and is more about national pride mixed with resentment from the last war. Present this to an opportunistic yet unpopular politician who will stir things up to improve poll ratings and you have the current tension. There's also the general wave of confidence around south america at the minute as their economies improve relative to the west. You can see a solidarity of the continent against the 'old colonial powers when columbia and brazil side with argentina in the argument. Europe is an easy target for them to flex some of their new influence.

It's a ridiculously over simplified argument to say it's the oil, Britain and Argentina even had co-operative agreements to search for the oil together until the Kirchners thought Britain was worth more to them as an enemy than a friend (for political reasons, certainly not economic ones).
Tic Tac, sir?