What it says on the tin...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

The Senkaku/Daioyu Islands Issue

Post by Kaito-kun »

Intelligent debate time!

So, I'm sure you all know about this by now: That set of islands in the Pacific, each claimed by Japan (who refer to them as the Senkaku Islands) and China (The Daioyu islands to them). Japan has begun measures to buy the the previously privately owned islands, spearheaded by Governor of Tokyo Shintaro Ishihara. The Chinese aren't happy; anti-Japanese scenes and demonstrations like these have appeared across China.

So...What's gonna happen, kids? Who's right? Who's wrong?
ozzypt
Level 10
Level 10

Post by ozzypt »

Looks's like China ain't very happy... who knows what they will do...
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

hmmm.....I didnt hear this before
mcdull
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mcdull »

Dates back to long long ago, this island should belongs to China, while, to Japan, a small nation, is ambitious to expand its territory. As for who is right and who is wrong, this is a political issue, I don't want to pay much attention to...
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

The human race is pathetic. 'OH I'M SO MAD THAT IM GONNA DESTROYING THE AREA I LOVE AND GREW UP IN AND DESTROY STUFF BELONGING TO OTHER PEOPLE' ¬_¬
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

There's a set of islands Japan and South Korea are also fighting over (found it in a random wiki search once).

What is very interesting about the debate is that even NORTH KOREA agree with their neighbours that South Korea own them (despite their given history...since they are still at war as no peace treaty was written).

Japan seems to love having debates on which islands it possesses...especially given that China and South Korea aren't the best of neighbours to have in their point of view.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Starlight wrote:There's a set of islands Japan and South Korea are also fighting over (found it in a random wiki search once).

What is very interesting about the debate is that even NORTH KOREA agree with their neighbours that South Korea own them (despite their given history...since they are still at war as no peace treaty was written).

Japan seems to love having debates on which islands it possesses...especially given that China and South Korea aren't the best of neighbours to have in their point of view.
There's also a couple of islands that Japan and Russia are arguing over. Abe said recently however that he wants to get that issue sorted ASAP.

Again, Russia and Japan are still technically fighting World War 2 as neither signed a peace treaty due to this territorial dispute.
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Kaito-kun wrote:There's also a couple of islands that Japan and Russia are arguing over. Abe said recently however that he wants to get that issue sorted ASAP.

Again, Russia and Japan are still technically fighting World War 2 as neither signed a peace treaty due to this territorial dispute.
Japan love arguing over islands, lol.

I bet there's many more treaties not signed for peace...like America/Vietnam probably?
MisterStream
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MisterStream »

We only have to look back to the early 20th century when Japan vastly expanded its empire throughout east Asia. The effects of which are felt to this day - there is much resentment. It's Japan flexing its former imperial muscles. Like many territorial disputes, it's not the land that the arguing states want, it's the oil reserves under the sea. *cough*Falklands*cough
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

Starlight wrote:
I bet there's many more treaties not signed for peace...like America/Vietnam probably?
Yes we did sign a peace treaty but its was just an excuse to get our troops out of there since most Americans wanted the war to end and it was a toxic topic for politicians. Now the US/Vietnam relation has improved since the Clinton administration. We have some trade agreements and had a few naval exercises together.

EDIT: About this issue my only opinion is that is a couple of stupid rocks and this back and forth about who owns it is stupid. Hard to believe they're willing to go to war for these worthless lifeless islands.