Multiplayer or Single Player experiences?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...

Single Player or Multiplayer?

Single Player
88%
Multiplayer
13%

Total votes: 16

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Quills on Wheels wrote:I know but it's the only thing that keeps me going. I don't see a point in games that have absolutely no reward or ANYTHING other then stupid achievements and the pure enjoyment of playing with someone. Sure it keeps you up for a while, but once you've played it a few times, you'll get bored of it.
But a singleplayer experience is limited to however many hours the campaign takes you. Sure a good story is worth playing over and over, but it's still the same thing, the same encounters, the same story, the same challenges. Multiplayer is generally more replayable, the people you face off with will have different tactics, you'll need to use different strategies.

The reward in MP is the thrill of competing with someone, the disappointment of losing, the joy of winning, the knowledge of doing your best attempt but just managing to let that win slip away from you. Of course, nowadays the reward of MP is seeing exp bars fill up and unlocking crap.

Co-op also has the reward of a shared experience, a story you can reminisce about with a friend. The arguments in good fun, when one of you does something dumb and gets about 100 enemies falling in on you.

edit: fuck i kinda want to change my vote after this post lol
Ace_Croft
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Ace_Croft »

Add me to the bunch who likes Single Player games. I do enjoy Multiplayer games however not online so much because I like playing local with friends but I've always prefered the single player really :)
Come follow my ramblings on Twitter @ www.twitter.com/Ace_Croft
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Reknoc wrote:But a singleplayer experience is limited to however many hours the campaign takes you. Sure a good story is worth playing over and over, but it's still the same thing, the same encounters, the same story, the same challenges. Multiplayer is generally more replayable, the people you face off with will have different tactics, you'll need to use different strategies.

The reward in MP is the thrill of competing with someone, the disappointment of losing, the joy of winning, the knowledge of doing your best attempt but just managing to let that win slip away from you. Of course, nowadays the reward of MP is seeing exp bars fill up and unlocking crap.

Co-op also has the reward of a shared experience, a story you can reminisce about with a friend. The arguments in good fun, when one of you does something dumb and gets about 100 enemies falling in on you.

edit: fuck i kinda want to change my vote after this post lol
Lol I understand your point. And that's true.

However, as much as the Single Player COULD be limited, that's what I want. I mean, you truely don't expect the story to go on forever would you? A good single player may be short but comes with a feeling of satisfaction when finished.
Again, the fact that the multiplayer is more repayable is a bonus for people who want to continue playing that game and don't feel like going through the story.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Lol I understand your point. And that's true.

However, as much as the Single Player COULD be limited, that's what I want. I mean, you truely don't expect the story to go on forever would you? A good single player may be short but comes with a feeling of satisfaction when finished.
Again, the fact that the multiplayer is more repayable is a bonus for people who want to continue playing that game and don't feel like going through the story.
So going with that; games like Uncharted or Assassin's Creed?
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

I suppose so. Though I haven't actually played Uncharted(cause I don't like 3rd person shooters) and only have played assassin's creed 1.

I suppose a good game with co-op is Portal 2. That one was a co-op which I really enjoyed as it was actually a different part of the story and was quite awesome.
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

Single player for me, for many reasons.

1. I generally play a lot of single player games
2. I don't enjoy playing with/against strangers
3. my brother used to be my co-op partner, but that changed when he got a girlfriend
4. the multiplayer in a lot of games just feels like it's been tacked on

On top of all this, I'm generally not a very social person. It's just the way I am.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Streets of Rage is one game I always LOVED playing with someone. Sure you'd always end up fighting over who gets the health or money or weapon on the floor but nether the less, it was heaps fun.
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Streets of Rage is one game I always LOVED playing with someone. Sure you'd always end up fighting over who gets the health or money or weapon on the floor but nether the less, it was heaps fun.
I played that with my brother sometimes when I had the Mega Drive collection for PS3.

It was fun walking upto him and just beating him up for no reason other than to get a reaction!
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

Kaito-kun wrote:I don't like people.
Neither do I.

Well not all people just... most of them? Yeah, most of them.
Click to reveal
Klaimen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Klaimen »

Single Player mostly, I love story-driven games like aforementioned Uncharted, and you can throw any 2D platformer if you want to make me happy. But I also love unique multiplayer experiences. Journey is the perfect online multiplayer game for me, I wish for more games like that one. Pixeljunk Shooter 2 has a great competitive online mode. Else, if multiplayer, then local only with friends!
----Always look beyond your eyes with your song----
Visit my website: Ecco the Dolphin: Caverns of Hope