How do you play old SEGA games (Emulation, original consoles)?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

I have a MegaDrive sooo yeah. I am building my reprogrammable cartridge so soon I will be able to even play hacked games on my console. I have a Dreamcast, which I love and finally I have a broken saturn. Next thing is to replace/fix my saturn and go buy a master system! So I would go for actual consoles rather than emulation, even though emulation can produce higher quality graphics and sound
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Quills on Wheels wrote:interestingly, I'm never shy when it comes to using emulators or other free means of playing games. However, I find myself often strict when it comes towards Sonic games. I suppose it's because I'm a collector and just feel like it's a fan's duty to buy his Sonic games properly and stuff. So yeah, therefor it bums me out to not be able to get my hands on games like Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic Shuffle cause they are important games I really have trouble getting my hands on.
In that case; using emulators for Sonic fangames and hacks are the perfect use for it.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Whooa21 wrote:even though emulation can produce higher quality graphics and sound
Well, that'll always be a given because they're newer and more digitally enhanced than the MegaDrive.
It's just sad how the 360/PS3 can't emulate them as good.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Uh, the consoles can emulate them fine, SEGA just get shit developers to handle their old games.
Klaimen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Klaimen »

Yeah, they just have them do a quick and dirty job to emulate the games. Which you see when you look at all the framerate and graphic isses, and the sound and music. They don't even emulate the soundchip, but instead record the music from the Mega Drive and play the recorded music files with their software. I found sounds in games very bad sometimes, too. Ecco's sonar, which you are using more or less constantly sounds like the dolphin is dying each and every time... That really lowers the game's quality. Some music tracks also drop out sometimes which gets pretty annoying... It really depends on who does the port, too. Not everything can be Sonic CD :)
----Always look beyond your eyes with your song----
Visit my website: Ecco the Dolphin: Caverns of Hope
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Reknoc wrote:Uh, the consoles can emulate them fine, SEGA just get shit developers to handle their old games.
Well no one told me that >:
BluePuyo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BluePuyo »

Hauke wrote:Not everything can be Sonic CD :)
If only SEGA could apply the retro-engine in most of his games.

On topic, emulated mostly. Simply because the quality isn't the same as official collections. Not saying that I don't support them when they impress me, Sonic CD and Monster World IV comes to my mind. Although I haven't played Sonic CD yet, I've got MWIV through Virtual Console.
andrewst244
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andrewst244 »

I still play my games on my Genesis (or Mega Drive), and everything still works, even all the cartridges. Just a little labor will make them last for 20+ years more ;)
But, when on the run, I have a back-up emulator on my laptop. Barely use it, though.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Hauke wrote:Yeah, they just have them do a quick and dirty job to emulate the games. Which you see when you look at all the framerate and graphic isses, and the sound and music. They don't even emulate the soundchip, but instead record the music from the Mega Drive and play the recorded music files with their software. I found sounds in games very bad sometimes, too. Ecco's sonar, which you are using more or less constantly sounds like the dolphin is dying each and every time... That really lowers the game's quality. Some music tracks also drop out sometimes which gets pretty annoying... It really depends on who does the port, too. Not everything can be Sonic CD :)
SEGA sure do have a knack for dying animal sounds in a game's music huh? Cats, ducks, dolphins....
Klaimen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Klaimen »

TheChaosBlue wrote:SEGA sure do have a knack for dying animal sounds in a game's music huh? Cats, ducks, dolphins....
Dying Cats? Dying Ducks? Which games are those?
----Always look beyond your eyes with your song----
Visit my website: Ecco the Dolphin: Caverns of Hope