How do you play old SEGA games (Emulation, original consoles)?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Klaimen
Level 3
Level 3

How do you play old SEGA games (Emulation, original consoles)?

Post by Klaimen »

This is something I'm kinda curious about, because nowadays there are so many possibilities to play games from all generations! I personally still have a MegaDrive/MegaCD combo but it's locked away and I hardly ever play on it anymore... Instead I prefer playing either on my PS3 or via emulation on PC.

Unfortunately some emulated games you can buy in compilation discs really lack quality... I own the Mega Drive collections for PS2 and PS3 and they both have terrible sound and framerate issues. :/ The only compilation that is unbeaten to quality IMO is the Sonic Mega Collection Plus for PS2 (and Gamecube I believe)!

On that note, I recently bought Alex Kidd in Miracle world from the PSN store, and I have to say, they've done a _brilliant_ job on this re-release! You can choose between all region versions, you can play the soundtrack and you get a nice manual with the original graphics. Also the emulation is top notch.
----Always look beyond your eyes with your song----
Visit my website: Ecco the Dolphin: Caverns of Hope
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I play through emulation for my old SEGA gaming. Kega Fusion for me. Mainly since I don't have a home console for the time being, and even if I did, I don't have the resources to buy and do all that PSN/XBL stuff.

Dreamcast and Saturn emulation through...nope I haven't gotten to that level yet...
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

I've got emulators for Master System and Mega Drive. Did have a Saturn one back in the day, but it was a bit iffy with certain games so I got rid.

That said, I do also get HD collections that're released on XBLA/PSN if it's a game/series I particularly want to play through again on a bigger screen, with a controller.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

I only use emulators for hacks.
I've got various HD collections or whatever for the rest. I don't like PC gaming.
I do agree with what you say about sound and frame rate on the HD remasters of old MegaDrive games though.
Newer consoles are just terrible at emulating the games.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Dr Shaneman wrote:I only use emulators for hacks.
Oh yes; one of the cornerstones for emulation. My biggest reason to use emulators actually.
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

I'll be honest here, the only Sega console I ever played was the Mega Drive. And I only played Sonic and this weird game called Bubble & Squeek.

So if I want to see what other games were like, I get a compilation for whatever console I currently own. I've had quite a few compilations, ranging from just Sonic games to general Sega. I also bought JSR HD off the PS Store, 'cause I've been curious about it ever since I played that "all stars" tennis game I had on the Wii.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Unless you still have an old SEGA console that works along with cartridges (that also work) emulation's the way to go. I've seen my brother use emulators for many Sonic fangames and hacks, and others as well. But it looks like a real challenge trying to set it all up and use them properly.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Emulation. I no longer have my old consoles and most ports these days are terrible, plus not everything gets ported.
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Mega Drive, Virtual Console emulation and XBLA/PSN....I try to support SEGA when I can.

Bought someone a Mega Drive collection of games today! Happy to have done so!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

The only emulator I use is FPSe for Android for PS1 games.

I haven't played a lot of old sega games in the past few years. I used to have a sega genesis but it broke so nowadays I just use the collection games to play 'em like Sonic Mega Collection Plus. I also remember playing a bit on Play SEGA, though it's a bit stupid but meh.