Gender & Sexuality In Gaming

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Frimelda Lotice is the only character who to me is simply amazing!

Great story, great side character...great personality and best of all...SHE DOESN'T EXIST AS RULE 34!!!! :D

The reason she probably isn't one because she's covered up from head to toe...and you first meet her as a zombie.
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

I made a blog entry that is quite relevant to the discussion of gender in gaming.

Perhaps we should change the thread's title to "gender and sexuality in games"
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

I play a female where I can really, as it needs to be promoted and considered of an equal importance to gamers.

Over sexualising them is not right....at least to me...I want some genuine females I can relate to.

I like Marina Wulfstan, Frimelda Lotice and probably Lightning in the games as they feel real to me...although many people question Lightning in the games, I think she's very realistic in her emotions and doesn't act overtly feminine at all!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I'd say Sexuality in gaming somewhat depends on what the main character is supposed to be good at. I mean, if it's a game where the main character is a brute who smashes shit to dust, I doubt they'd give the job to a lady. In a way, a muscly lady may be unique but not very appealing rather then a male brute (*cough* Gears of War *cough*). Similarly, a game where the main character is very athletic and/or seductive would be rather suited for a female.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Quills on Wheels wrote:I'd say Sexuality in gaming somewhat depends on what the main character is supposed to be good at. I mean, if it's a game where the main character is a brute who smashes shit to dust, I doubt they'd give the job to a lady. In a way, a muscly lady may be unique but not very appealing rather then a male brute (*cough* Gears of War *cough*). Similarly, a game where the main character is very athletic and/or seductive would be rather suited for a female.
If Queen's Blade ever got turned into a game...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Dr Shaneman wrote:If Queen's Blade ever got turned into a game...
Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos was an RPG released in December 2009 for the PSP. There's also a browser based RPG called Queen's Blade: The Conquest.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Kaito-kun wrote:Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos was an RPG released in December 2009 for the PSP. There's also a browser based RPG called Queen's Blade: The Conquest.
Then Quills comment has been answered.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Gears of War 3 had two female playable characters.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Wasn't Zero Suit Samus made be sexy?
Just look at her bust.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Dr Shaneman wrote:Wasn't Zero Suit Samus made be sexy?
Just look at her bust.
Yeah but as much of a shocker it was in Metroid 1 to realize that you were playing as a girl, it sorta suits her more. Samus(Zero suit or not) is very well... athletic I'd say. Plus the Morph ball.... let's just say that's a looooot of Gymnastic classes. I could see Samus being a man but ultimately, a female fits.

Also for the Queens Blade stuff, there ARE always exceptions. I'd personally how Prince of Persia sorta gives a man too much athleticism but maybe not.