Gender & Sexuality In Gaming

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Gender & Sexuality In Gaming

Post by Crow »

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

huntergemini wrote:Well there's also a gay male character and a bisexual male as well.

Why can't all game developers be like Sega when it comes to this kind of stuff?
If the gay male is the one I think it is, and considering any gay characters in the Yakuza franchise, I don't think developers should be like SEGA when it comes to homosexuality in a game.
Crow
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Crow »

Reknoc wrote:If the gay male is the one I think it is, and considering any gay characters in the Yakuza franchise, I don't think developers should be like SEGA when it comes to homosexuality in a game.
I actually meant having gays in games in general.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

The problem is the game industry is still incredibly immature when it comes to that. And that's the western developers, Japan are even worse.
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Reknoc wrote:The problem is the game industry is still incredibly immature when it comes to that. And that's the western developers, Japan are even worse.
I found out that this generation they seem to pander to the teenage boys with dating sims and the like moreso then original games like yesteryear. (The Japanese industry)

What is ironic is that Katawa Shoujo (A visual novel eroge) was made internationally and is better then most Japanese VNs that are Otome, Eroge AND Nukages combined!?! And it's free! 0_0

I mean...I am not a fan of the stuff myself but I found it really awesome.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Decided to make a brand new thread based from the discussion form the Favorite SEGA game thread, as per Gavvie said makes for an interesting discussion. You may continue~ :D
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Starlight wrote:What is ironic is that Katawa Shoujo (A visual novel eroge) was made internationally and is better then most Japanese VNs that are Otome, Eroge AND Nukages combined!?! And it's free! 0_0
A part of that being it's already in English. Key factor there.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

The industry still shys away from female lead characters. Sexuality probably shouldn't even be considered while publishers can even sort out gender equality.
Starlight wrote:I found out that this generation they seem to pander to the teenage boys with dating sims and the like moreso then original games like yesteryear. (The Japanese industry)

What is ironic is that Katawa Shoujo (A visual novel eroge) was made internationally and is better then most Japanese VNs that are Otome, Eroge AND Nukages combined!?! And it's free! 0_0

I mean...I am not a fan of the stuff myself but I found it really awesome.
What, exactly, makes it better than other VN's? It looks exactly the same as every other VN.

edit: actually none of that makes sense, VN's have always been popular and probably the most commonly made game in Japan (because it likely easy to make them)
Klaimen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Klaimen »

Jim Sterling has written a quite amazing article about Nathan Drake from the Uncharted series making a good gay character. I don't see it coming, but he has the potential to come out. My favorite part is where Sterling is talking about mindfucking homophobic players with their hero coming out as a fag :P
http://www.destructoid.com/why-nathan-drake-would-make-a-fantastic-homosexual-218743.phtml
----Always look beyond your eyes with your song----
Visit my website: Ecco the Dolphin: Caverns of Hope
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Reknoc wrote:The industry still shys away from female lead characters. Sexuality probably shouldn't even be considered while publishers can even sort out gender equality.
Eh? It does? O.o