Cheap Deaths in Gaming

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Yeah, I did think about editing that into the post, but figured somebody would beat me to it.

Turns out I could've edited it in XD Nevermind.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Gavvie wrote:Not exactly a death per se, but I'm quite fed up of rubber banding in racing games, particularly kart racers.

You can be miles behind the AI in last place with no chance of catching them, but as soon as you're ahead, no matter what the distance is between you and 2nd, you can guarantee that they'll be on your arse in the final corner.
There was a word/phrase someone thought up for this which I discovered last year but I can't remember it now.
It was in a Mario Kart Wii review that's all I know.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

It's rubberbanding, most racing games have it.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

Reknoc wrote:It's rubberbanding, most racing games have it.
Only the Crash racing games seem to be except from this from the kart racers I've played.
You could lap people on those.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Dr Shaneman wrote:Only the Crash racing games seem to be except from this from the kart racers I've played.
You could lap people on those.
Agreed. Be 1st place on, say, NGin Labs and still be one lap ahead of everyone else if you excel at boosting.
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Just a few nightmares worth sharing..
Devil May Cry 1 - Being unable to get away from a boss because it hogs the camera.
Devil May Cry 2 - Distance, and being unable to actually get close enough to find a weakpoint. Some bosses are just annoying.

Tomb Raider - the staple of this series, is looking before you leap. Oh and the distance may hurt worse.
Marvel VS Capcom 3 - (before the Ultimate edition, Capcom let its guard up and didn't let people know we couldn't unlock more characters. Oh jeez thanks guys!
Resident Evil 6 - How can you obtain those crazy serpentine treasures? Being in the sub with Ada, and in a hurry. Not sure how some have that much patience.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Something that occurred to me a number of times in the Prince of Persia Trilogy which caused a number of cheap deaths for me was the fact that the camera was at a horrible angle and I was unable to jump towards a specific column or something, missing it. It's difficult when the column is somewhat sideways and since you're playing on the keyboard, it's hard to go to that direction as the direction keys don't get their easily as you jump from one platform to another.

I guess that's why the game recommended that I play with a controller.