SEGA Mixer Drive - Discussion Thread

The latest updates and comments on our Live Shows...
Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

It's a hard one because I really don't want to let it go. The only times when I could consider myself to take a break would be either during Christmas, or in the event that I'm too physically sick to run a show (which is what I have a feeling will happen once/if I have my current gallbladder problem resolved).

Either way, all I could do is just sit down and plan what could very well be my next move. I appreciate your feedback overnight, and that helped me try and be at a more level head at this moment in time.

The one thing that came to me back was the main reason for running the show to begin with - a chance to spread a great knowledge on remixes and getting people to hear something new. I had that partially taken care of with the new material that comes out each week, though didn't realise how difficult it would be if it became a request show.

After realising the difficulty behind the Valentine week, I had then planned to make certain types of theme weeks to be of my own choosing. Yet, I didn't realise that it would make the request thing even worse. All it's told me is that I should probably make even more theme weeks to be mostly my own choice cuts.

And then there came last week's F4A. I wasn't expecting it to be unfilled, which gave me time to having to look inside my library for tracks to fill up the time. Perhaps the lack of attention implied I needed more theme weeks, yet I thought I had a fine balance between themed and non-themed, and asking the question through RS's twitter confirmed my suspicions. So if there's anything I could do, it would be a complete change of gameplan.

So here's my decision on the whole thing:
- This week's show will still go ahead as normal. I went through today's rehersal, and I should be okay nevertheless.
- I was meant to announce this on Friday's show itself, but I might as well say it - April 19th will be a DJ mix (temporary name until I think of something more creative), highlighting a specific genre that I haven't decided yet.
- April 26th's Sonic Free Week will still go ahead as well, though this is where things will go completely different. Instead of it being request-driven, I'm going to be open to suggestions from this point on. That means my game plan for shows like this after that would be building the entire setlist myself, though if anyone wants to hear a certain track, I'll be fine to swap tracks around.

Granted, I still don't know how to stop the "your timeslot sucks" and "I didn't know you had a radio show" comments I keep getting. But one thing's for sure is that the interaction problem may face a resolution.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Rexy wrote:Granted, I still don't know how to stop the "your timeslot sucks" and "I didn't know you had a radio show" comments I keep getting. But one thing's for sure is that the interaction problem may face a resolution.
Then do you realize you can't and the point of fighting against those people isn't worth it right? Forget em; as far as the second quote goes, believe it or not, not everyone who hears of this site for the very first time even knows there are liveshows. Instead of being negative about that, that can be a good thing in my opinion. Why? It can bring people who don't about your show to experience it and possibly share the word around.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Rexy wrote: Granted, I still don't know how to stop the "your timeslot sucks" and "I didn't know you had a radio show" comments I keep getting.
Rexy, I'm going to be (brutally) honest with you here: Since I first encountered you, one thing about you has stuck in my mind: You are far, far too sensitive to the negative things strangers on the internet say. You can't have a presence on the internet (such as a hit radio DJ) without someone trying to hurl shit at you. It's just how it is. Now, what matters is what you do in response to that: Do you go and run off and cry to those who'll listen, bite back at the attackers, or do you just suck it up, let the shit hit you in the face and wipe it off as if it was nothing?

I know which option I'd recommend and I know which two I've seen you do the most of...
Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

I understand your point of view, Kaito. But if it's something that might be actively changed, I would've definitely liked to ask someone for advice. As for the whole reactions things, I still don't even know if just blatantly disregarding it would merely be seen as an act of ignorance as opposed to doing any active improvements.

But either way, this sensitive nature is something that I have personally struggled with for years. I do tend to keep it away from my passions though, but if that is to be addressed, then there needs to be a more long term solution to deal with it. I'm actually glad that I have been able to keep it away from the airwaves as well.

Whichever is the case, I have my playlist solution to deal with and I shall put it into quick effect. I still have a determination to make sure this will be a great thing for the station :)
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

At least you still have determination. You're just way too sensitive to opinion against the show from people who may not even give a damn about anything but your show.

Think of this whole as a challenge for yourself to overcome, instead of the opposite.
SoloNerfherder
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SoloNerfherder »

Well, I can't say I know what's going on because I can't really listen live - unless I hated sleeping at 3 am :D - but my son and I have loved the podcasts so far. Just a shame the podcasts are waaaaaay behind the live shows.
I was shocked to hear you were having problems regarding the show today. Just know you have fans all across the world. I can't say any more than that and also, follow your heart. I hope you continue SEGA Mixer Drive and making awesome remixes, but you have to follow your heart :)

PS As for requests... As others have said, people are lazy. Or have other things to do.

PPS Also, I don't know about other people, but I keep thinking I'd like to request something, but I want to request something that others haven't heard before. But seeing as pretty much every cool piece of SEGA music I discovered listening to RS podcasts like yours, Rexy, it's kind of hard to bring something new to the table, you know? And even though Sonic tracks are my favourite SEGA music by a long way, I don't want to be the guy who requested another Sonic remix :D So when it comes to set lists, I leave it to the experts - you, and the more regular doods and doodettes on here. One of the cool things I've always liked about Res SD's and your shows is discovering so many cool tracks. So thanks for all the great work on your shows!
Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

Well, we're past Sonic Free Week, and it's fair to say we are on our merry way through! I thank you all for your help in the matter, and what I've taken on board will certainly help with the running of the show down the line.

Either way, we have updates through for May, as stated in tonight's show.

Episode 18 (May 10th) will be a Sega Saturn Edition of the show! So that night will be all remixes for various games that appeared on said 32-bit disc machine, including arcade ports (so if you want something like Sega Rally or Virtua Fighter, be my guest xD).

However, between then and the Sonic Fan Music Festival in late June, there's no other specials planned. Now, we could do a straight set of regular shows, but it'll just wear thin eventually; this is where I ask you guys for theme suggestions! The Sonic Free Week came through as a result of listener interaction, and this may be a good time to see what else can make its way through.

The decided theme will be slated in for late May/early June. I've had one or two brilliant suggestions through the IRC tonight, though let's keep going and see what else may work. Who knows, it may even get considered for then :)
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Hmmmm maybe...

- A theme based on a specific SEGA game, if any?
- A genre-based show like the hip-hop styled one?
- Not a suggustion but a question...have there been any remixes played live, like a events and so forth?
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

mtwinny wrote:- Not a suggustion but a question...have there been any remixes played live, like a events and so forth?
There's Crush 40's live work, a bunch of SST Band's live material, WillRock's Green Hill live track for OC Remix's panels, the occasional band that have released live recordings, not sure if Cash Cash recorded any of their past Sonic Boom sets but may be an option... though that's just going off the top of my head. But it would definitely be amazing if there was more like that :)
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

I don't think I sent a request yet....gonna fix that~

Final Take Off from The Very Best of SEGA album and
The Answer [The Latch Brothers Remix] from Jet Set Radio Future? :)
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010