SEGA Mixer Drive - Discussion Thread

The latest updates and comments on our Live Shows...
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Rexy wrote:How am I supposed to scratch harder for non-Sonic? Not only would all of SEGA's RPGs would count, but also all their racers, other platformers, puzzle games, brawlers and other genres I have totally forgotten about. I'm pretty sure we're covered with franchise representation, just up to what people would want / are aware of :P
It shows that for a show called 'SEGA Mixer Drive', mostly Sonic music is played. This is a good chance to challenge and teach yourself of the series that aren't Sonic with these two upcoming shows.

Streets of Rage, Puyo Puyo...I'm sure there are remixes for some other good SEGA franchises.
Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

No, that's not what I mean xD I have a huge library on my PC including everything from OC Remix, the Dwelling of Duels, Remix.Kwed.Org and many other remix sites. My other-series knowledge is fine​, what are you talking about? x)
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Sorry, what the people want is what you're asking? If so, then I'd say it's great music they want.
Rexy
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Rexy »

Well... guess I'm gonna have to bring in a post to address here.

I'm 13 episodes in, will be 14 on Friday, yet I'm currently a very upset person right now.

First of all, I do appreciate everyone's time for tuning in every week, and things have been very nice for all of us to get involved. It's been a good run these past 14 weeks or so, and one that I feel good to be able to do.

But in spite of all this, I'm starting to question where this is starting to go. In the first couple of months, I was able to fill up request slots pretty well. Then came some difficult themes where I had to build the setlist myself, which was fine. But then, I've been getting a bad feeling that as a result of the RS Character Battle, requests have gone down to nothing more than a crawl.

Now, I've tried to come up with solutions to this. I've upped my promotion on both my own Twitter and on RadioSEGA, decided to make amends by sticking with the show schedule, planned a few DJ mixes for the near future, even lowered my expectations in regards to the amount of requests I actually get per week.

But, it must be really horrible if it's mid-week for this week, and Episode 14 only has two people sending me requests, with only one of them asking for something specific. This to me screams echoes of what happened with FastLane when that was running, with Jon struggling to put together his own setlists based on what he got.

So if my promotion isn't working, then I've basically asked everyone else I know, though the most common complaints I got were either:

A) My timeslot is terrible and I need to move it to a better time, or
B) People aren't really interested in the show at all and are just tuning in for the hell of it.

I've actually done my best in keeping my feelings away from the recorded shows themselves, which I believe is what makes them the greatest podcasts currently available on RadioSEGA(TM). But if added problems are just going to go on week by week, and I can't find any resolutions to growing problems, what am I supposed to do?

If anyone has any genuine problems with the show, then that's something that I want to hear, and I want to be able to improve on it. Or is it more advised that - and it pains me a lot to say it - you guys would rather see me off-air for a while? Whichever happens, I really don't want to abandon the whole thing - it's pretty much been the one thing I've been living for each week, and I don't want to let it or anyone else down.

Please, I'd really want to hear back. This is as big a part in RadioSEGA's lineup as every other show they've got, and I really want to listen to everyone's thoughts.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Well, I'm going to say what I said to you in the IRC, just with a bit of rewording.

Yes, what happened after the battle didn't look good on your part, and you're trying to make amends, but this is really being a (hopefully not) some sort of psychological effect on you and behind the scenes you're being affected. From listener numbers, to promoting the show to requests, you're the only one who's really worried about every little thing with your show, that no other RS DJ went though as far as I know. At least, not to the extent you have over the past two weeks.

I get you're trying to make amends after the Battle, but I feel you're trying so hard to get those people who already made their decision with how you acted. For me, what's the point trying with them? Those who do accept your apologies amends; work on building the bridge with them. Don't worry about those who won't bat an eye to you; it feels like you're pandering to them in vain. I feel, and I believe I been in that position, it makes you feel worse.

Abandoning this show will be the biggest mistake you can possibly make, especially if due to your current issues. People just don't listen to this show 'for the hell of it'. If anything, I would say it's isn't fair to those who DO listen to listen to the newest remixes or remixes that they haven't listened to. Trust me, I try my hardest to listen to a much as this show as possible because of the time it's on here. Okay some people may have an issue here and there with fully listening in, and I get someone who does this such as yourself wants the 'sweet spot' of an listening audience. But people still listen in regardless, because they like this show.

Your timeslot has it easy; when Tru had her show it was the dead of the week, and yet dispite the numbers it had two successful seasons. That's because when it came right down to it Tru mattered about the fun of the show. To my knowledge, whatever promotion it had was fine for her.

I know you want this show to be successful yourself, but you want it to be successful for reasons that is taking away the what made these RS shows good to begin with; the fun of the person hosting it. Tell me, are you really having fun doing the show for the last couple of episodes with heartfelt drive, or just for the sake of the show?

If it REALLY comes down to it that you're really stressed out and need that time away to get a clear head, Take a short hiatus, do pre-recorded shows, do what you need to do because I feel you're hurting. You're hurting on the inside and the show is suffering for it. You're emotional tirade with that battle may had certainly changed some people's perception of this week's rn none at all.hyou. But please, before something happens that you will regret you need to fix yourself. If you can, just sit back from Mixer Drive temporarily if all this pressure is weighing you down. Maybe after this week you can put that, at least try, to put it into effect. Not saying this a guarantee though.

There's people who do care about what you're going through and are trying to help, but I think it's because of how you're feeling and reacting you're too scared or stressed to take it all in.

If we didn't care about the show AND the host, I'm sure we wouldn't be listening in. Gavvie wouldn't have (at least to me) added you as part of the RS show team if he knew you wouldn't be a great addition, which you have been for currently 13 made episodes regardless of how you feel off the air.

Nevertheless, I sent my two requests for this week's show. Having three (so far) requesters for a one-hour music centric show is better than none at all if you want to go down that route in my opinion.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

^ Pretty much everything Chaos said.

My show wasn't massive with listeners, but the ones I did get enjoyed it so that's all good! And I enjoyed it too, which was the main thing. I didn't get many requests either but that's partly because people don't really know SEGA RPG's that much... Maybe the same is true with remixes? Generally I just built my own setlist and then swapped tracks out when I got requests. And I always encouraged people to send them in advance... I rarely got them in advance XD Only from the same few people (WHO WERE AWESOME)

People are lazy, man!

I didn't do much promotion either to be honest and I really could have, there was potential. Maybe next time.

I think everyone gets insecure about their show though. Just look at ResidentSD for an example. He was a great DJ, he presented his shows in a really professional way and everyone loved him, loved his shows! And yet he let his insecurity get the better of him and prevented him from doing something he actually loved.

You may have annoyed people with the character battle, but so what? Apologise and move on. It was just a character battle on the internet, it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. And you can't change the past, you can't make people like you, but you can move on and be awesome in the future.

If you need to take a break, then take a break. I did. But don't do the show cos you feel like you HAVE to. Do it because you love it and don't worry about the rest.

Personally I don't think the time slot is that bad? I don't always tune in to live shows though, or I leave early. I like my sleep and I do other things, like shopping. Foreversonic is one of my favourite peoples in the world but I don't always tune in to his show hehe sorry foreversonic, I know I should <3

But yeah... Listen to that man.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Sounds to me like you're a bit stressed out and looking for problems where there aren't really any.

Take a short break to re-charge then come back fresh as a daisy and enthusiastic; ready to play the best SEGA mixes known to mankind.

So what if people aren't requesting very much? Sod 'em! It just gives you more opportunity to play the mixes you want to play, not the crap someone else is demanding.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Rexy, I agree with the others.
We all have told you the same things.
Just try to relax.
After all, you are doing the show for people to have fun and entertain them.
Now I agree with this
TheChaosBlue wrote: I know you want this show to be successful yourself, but you want it to be successful for reasons that is taking away the what made these RS shows good to begin with]
Also what Tru said:
CapnCloudChaser wrote: I think everyone gets insecure about their show though. Just look at ResidentSD for an example. He was a great DJ, he presented his shows in a really professional way and everyone loved him, loved his shows! And yet he let his insecurity get the better of him and prevented him from doing something he actually loved.
I have told you sooooo many times, that if you don't get over it, the same will happen.
You show has potential, after all you don't get paid for it. I know you want to make a good impression and make your show a hit. This can happen over time; you just have to stop worrying now or your show will take the downhill.
This is all I've got to say.
PS: I am one of those people who don't request, this doesn't mean I don't like the show, or that I am not listening to it. :)
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Kaito-kun wrote:Sounds to me like you're a bit stressed out and looking for problems where there aren't really any.

Take a short break to re-charge then come back fresh as a daisy and enthusiastic; ready to play the best SEGA mixes known to mankind.

So what if people aren't requesting very much? Sod 'em! It just gives you more opportunity to play the mixes you want to play, not the crap someone else is demanding.
Yeah what he said; I just didn't think about this when I was writing my post. For example, SD had 'DJ Mixes' for his Late and Live show; where the whole show consisted of HIS choices rather than requests. They were good as people may have never heard a certain track. If there aren't that many requests then it gives a chance to highlight tracks you choose.

This show is made because you wanted it to benefit and everyone, not because you have to.

Maybe, and I said this, after the RPG Special, maybe take a little hiatus. We understand why.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Funny thing about the "DJ mixes", I suggested to her that not every show has to be request-fused. Even if you think you're going to be "picking favorites" by doing these Dj mix shows, you're really not. I also said those shows can focus on a different genre of music, like DnB or techno.

I agree on what Capn said about how it's a challenge for the listener to request remixes for the show. Like I said on Twitter, people aren't too keen on remixes everyday than the originals. So the reason you get 1-3 requests on average, isn't a bad thing. Best to let the people listen to these awesome remixes firsthand than letting them struggle finding new remixes or any on their own.

And the thing about the timeslot, don't be discouraged about it. People tune in to it regardless of time. If they can't be around for a good damn reason, then leave them be. If they listen because they feel like it, well introduce them to the music you play. Nonetheless you're doing this show as a fan but with PASSION (inb4 sex sounds) and meaning.

Like what all the others said, you're doing SEGA Mixer Drive for the fun of playing these remixes. Not because you have to, like you're forced too. Promotion is all fine but don't treat it like a "superstar" kind of show. None of the RSLiVE shows tried to be "larger than life", as far as I'm aware.

So in the end, if you are that stressed out about the future of SMD, please don't cancel it. Don't cancel it because of insecurity, and yes you have felt that way since the character battle. And PLEASE don't think the battle screwed everything up, because it didn't. Instead, I think it's best to take a little hiatus to clear your mind and rethink what can happen for the show moving forward. Give it the rest of this month to take a break, and probably in May, so you truly feel like it, bring back SMD for the reason of playing the best of the community's remixes, for the fun of it.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010