What Non-SEGA games had the best Mega Drive/Genny music?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

What Non-SEGA games had the best Mega Drive/Genny music?

Post by Starlight »

I ask this as we all know that SEGA's music was pretty much the best thing on the console, with a few exceptions...

However, what Mega Drive/Genny OSTs stand out for you from non-SEGA games?

For me, Hellfire (the shmup) has an awesome soundtrack (from the employees of CAVE before CAVE became a developer). The OST for me is personally better then even the Arcade version as it has that ROCK style to it!

I also think that Rocket Knight Adventures had a great OST also, but it's hit and miss with some members in the community.

Tell us your favourite OSTs from Mega Drive/Genny games NOT made by SEGA!
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

yeah hellfire is great, most of the Toaplan Mega Drive games had rockin soundtracks, like Truxton and Fire Shark. Also Musha Aleste has some legendary music.
Tic Tac, sir?
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Killer French Bread wrote:yeah hellfire is great, most of the Toaplan Mega Drive games had rockin soundtracks, like Truxton and Fire Shark. Also Musha Aleste has some legendary music.
I keep hearing about Truxton but never played it myself as I SUCK at shooters.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

yeah it's pretty tough. Although the second one is even wilder and considered one of the hardest shooters ever made. Some crazy number like 4 people had ever beaten it for a while
Tic Tac, sir?
BluePuyo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BluePuyo »

The first that comes to my mind right away are the Thunder Force series, especially III (T1/T2) and IV (T1/T2), Castlevania Bloodlines (T1/T2), and from Compile, Puyo Puyo (T1/T2) and MUSHA (T1/T2).

What I like most about those are the use of the synths that defines each game, apart the composition.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I didn't play a lot of Non-sega games on the Genesis. But the one game that I remember the music from rather well is The Lost Vikings.

The music wasn't that special but it sure gave a good mood to the levels. I tried looking around for the music but only found a good version of one of the levels and the main theme. The rest were from other versions of the game on other consoles and listening to them, the Genesis version sounds the best.

[video=youtube;B3C19LEcQa8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3C19LEcQa8[/video]
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Isn't Puyo Puyo part of SEGA now? Or even co-developed on the Mega Drive at the beginning?
AISLE10JSRF
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AISLE10JSRF »

Dynamite Headdy had some amazing music in it as well I just listened to it on the way to work XD
BluePuyo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BluePuyo »

Starlight wrote:Isn't Puyo Puyo part of SEGA now? Or even co-developed on the Mega Drive at the beginning?
Yes, Puyo Puyo is owned by SEGA now. The first 3 games were made by Compile, so that's why I placed it here. As far as I know, the only co-developed game was Puyo Puyo 4.
AISLE10JSRF wrote:Dynamite Headdy had some amazing music in it as well I just listened to it on the way to work XD
Right here, a favorite of mine.