Digimon vs Pokemon?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Digimon vs Pokemon?

Post by Quills on Wheels »

So the discussion was going for long enough in the Random Chit Chat thread for me to feel like it deserves a thread of its own.
So I guess who do you prefer? Digimon or Pokemon? And why? And there's a poll there just for a clearer view. I know that we will be mainly talking about the shows but I put it in the gaming section as we'll be probably also talking about the games.

So like a said, personally I prefer Digimon. Why?

+ Mostly great looking Digimon, especially as they digivolve and become better and stronger. Much better looking and original then many pokemon designs nowadays. Digivolutions are much more rewarding to see and watch.

+ Interesting story and progression. Most series contain a dark theme that I really find enjoyable. The story drives you in and makes you keep on watching for the next upcoming evolution. Also you learn a great deal about the Digimon story, realizing that it's quite a lot more complex then those of Pokemon. Pokemon's story has mainly stayed the same with the same character doing the same thing he did years ago. Team Rocket always gets their asses handed to them and... well yeah.

+ Characters are interesting and eye catching. You can really see relationships developing between characters and them growing up. Again, Pokemon's been about Ash doing the same thing for ever. His relationship doesn't really develop with characters as they change and are replaced while he always stays the same... (quite literally too as he's still a 13 year old kid and other then cloth changes, hasn't changed at all...)

- Horrible names. Indeed Digimon truly sucks at making interesting names for their interesting digimon.

Bare in mind, these reasons mainly go for the anime as for games, it's a bit different...

I guess something I've thought that pokemon really needs perhaps is to just start... fresh. I wouldn't say a reboot but just let go of Ash... It always bothered me how the female character is always changed while Ash and most times, Brock, are always kept.
I'd like to see the series of Pokemon ending with Ash finally becoming known throughout the world as the greatest Pokemon Trainer of all time. Then I'd like to see a new series of Pokemon taking place in a bit of a futuristic setting where Ash has become a celebrity, having grown up and married one of the previous heroins(or not) and still being the world's greatest Pokemon trainer with his trusty pikachu, defeat challengers that come to his gym. Of course, I'd want this show to feature a new kid... a new protagonist who wants to become the greatest Pokemon trainer and who looks up to Ash like an idol and hero. In the final episode of that show, the main character would then verse Ash and defeat his Pikachu(Perhaps maybe now a Raichu) and become the new greatest champion.

That would certainly give the show a boost it needs from being boring...

So what are your opinions?

EDIT: Oh damn I forgot to add the poll. Would one of the moderators PLEASE put the poll in with the choices of "Digimon" and "Pokemon"? It's really important for me...
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Well...

Pokemon for me. Why?

This series was the first I got used to; starting from the games. Never has a game caught my short attention span at the time more than Pokemon did. It's why I got into video games and it's my favorite video game series.

I'm been a fan of nearly all of the games since Red and Blue, and that's not going to change. In fact, the first games I would get for a handheld Nintendo console would be any Pokemon game available for it.

The anime, I had more interest in in the late 90's to early 00's, Always waiting for school to be over so I can watch the next episode and play my games all the while. Saturday mornings were made for me because of Pokemon.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

The only thing these have in common is being multimedia franchises that both have shitty adveranime.

Digimon vs Monster Rancher would have been better.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Hard to say really for me.

Both played a major part in my childhood. I remember pokemon for the games and TGC that I use to collect. Same with the sticker book I had at the time. I remember always rushing home from school to see the next pokemon episode aswell, however I don't remember many episodes.

Digimon was more rememberable show wise. I collected a ton load of figurines from season 2 and 3. The digimon evolving was also something I remember my younger self enjoying as it was always hyped up during the show. Especially patamon. However game wise I've only played the original game on the ps1 and the newer ones on the DS.

I can't choose in all honesty. But I do remember wanting to be a digidesined more then a pokemon trainer xD.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Reknoc wrote:The only thing these have in common is being multimedia franchises that both have shitty adveranime.
Also, the suffix "-mon".
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Pokemon wins because Best Wishes and I assume Rival Destinies or whatever the current series is called, has Dent/Cilan who owns.
Kaito-kun wrote:Also, the suffix "-mon".
Pokemon vs Digimon vs Jamaican guy
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Reknoc wrote:Pokemon wins because Best Wishes and I assume Rival Destinies or whatever the current series is called, has Dent/Cilan who owns.

Pokemon vs Digimon vs Jamaican guy
Then Jamaican (or in my case, Caribbean Guy) wins.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Always thought they were basically the same thing, like cheetos and wotsits.
Tic Tac, sir?
ozzypt
Level 10
Level 10

Post by ozzypt »

I've always liked pokemon more then digimon, but i still remember watching digimon as a kid it was one of my favorite shows.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:Always thought they were basically the same thing, like cheetos and wotsits.
I had always thought that cheetohs had a more solid construction compared to the puff-like design of wotsits.