Does anyone care for smaller console sizes for the next generation?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Does anyone care for smaller console sizes for the next generation?

Post by Starlight »

This intrigues me, because consoles are apparently not going to be as powerful as previously.

The smallest console I know of is the TurboGraphix with these specs: 14 cm × 14 cm × 3.8 cm (5.5in × 5.5in × 1.5in).

For the late 80's, it was a powerful console.
ImageAnyway, would you like the next generation of hardware to be like a Dreamcast? Or do you want them mega sized like the original PS3/Xbox 360 fat?ImagePersonally, I wouldn't mind consoles being smaller due to how many I have! My Mega Drive Model 2 (I used to have a Model 1), PS2 Slim and Wii can all fit under the TV but the original PS3/360 I have barely fit!
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Size doesn't matter, just so long as they are reasonably powerful systems that can run games in actual HD.
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Reknoc wrote:Size doesn't matter, just so long as they are reasonably powerful systems that can run games in actual HD.
So power is only important when we're pretty much at the apex of HD gaming?

I respect your opinion of course, but I think merely powering up consoles won't be enough for the majority to jump over if it's more of the same.

As for size, that's fair enough, but I think the mentality of having a smaller consoles is more realistic when we have tablets that can do pretty much everything a console game can do (not 1 to 1, but very close to what our handhelds are doing).

I like seeing an ergonomic design over one where you need 2 or 3 fans to cool the system down, I even wouldn't mind if they made small cartridges that can give us the capacity of a Blu-Ray disc, of course, those will drive the manufacturing cost up but given the portability I think it's a fair trade off. (I mean in terms of setting up a console with ease...I mean the HD consoles are easish to set up, but since they weigh a little, it does take a little bit of time to get all the wires for it and stuff. If the console only needs a universal output (be it HDMI or AV) and a plug, then I will be happy.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Big, small, as long as it's not the size of a houseboat then I'm not fussed.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

small as possible please. It's always good to save space and my 360 has been kicked over so many times when playing multiplayer games with drunk people.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:and my 360 has been kicked over so many times when playing multiplayer games with drunk people.
So you'd rather they step on it instead? "Woah mate, soz, didn't see it..."
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

The 360 sways and topples over like that pile of old magazines that nearly killed principle skinner. Can cause all kinds of mayhem.
Tic Tac, sir?
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I've never been bothered by size just the design. I was put off buying the Ps3 Phat because i thought it looked like a george foreman grill o.O Obv if they didnt upgrade it to a new model i would of just dealt with it and bought.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I'd rather next gen improve the games themselves by not being based on ancient hardware, but hey much better to have a pretty box under my TV I guess?
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Reknoc wrote:hey much better to have a pretty box under my TV I guess?
Basically yeh.
Tic Tac, sir?