3DS Review: Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! WhyÂ’d You Steal Our Garbage?!!

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

3DS Review: Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?!!

Post by RWDebara »

We all know games based on TV shows and movies tend to suck. It’s just the studio rushing a game based on a popular show/movie to make a quick buck most of the time. Will this game based on Cartoon Networks hit T.V. show “Adventure Time” go down the same road despite being written by the shows creator and being based on a forgotten Zelda title?
Game: Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?!!
Developer: Way Forward Technologies
Publisher: D3 Publisher
Distributer: Cartoon Network Interactive
Released: November 20,2012 (DS & 3DS)

STORY
If the title of this game didn’t spoil anyone, the story is simple and somewhat familiar for any Adventure Time fan. Ice King up to no good stealing our heroes (Finn and Jake) garbage. Finn of course to teach Ice King a lesson and just to have an excuse to leave the house for an adventure searches for the Ice King across The Land of Ooo just to kick his butt. Story is very straight forward with a handful of side quests. Thanks to series creator Pendleton Ward who wrote the game we get lots of witty, and funny dialog just like the show that makes this fun journey worth having.

Unfortunately for anyone that doesn’t watch the show will probably be completely lost due many references from the show and asking themselves “Why are these characters acting like this?” without understanding the nature of the humor from the show. I recommend to watch it then play it. My only complaint about the story and the game itself is that it’s extremely short. You can finish the game in a couple of hours, so it can be a good thing for a handheld game and a bad thing for someone wanting more.
Click to reveal
Image Image

GAMEPLAY
This game is very reminiscent of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link , anytime you’re exploring The Land of Ooo the game puts you in a birds-eye view of our heroes where you can explore famous locations from the television show like the Candy Kingdom and the Grasslands where our heroes live. Also like Zelda II when you enter dungeons, towns, or battling monsters the game puts you in a 2D sidescrolling perspective.

You have three members in your party throughout the entire game. Finn the Human is the character you’ll be playing as the most, he pretty much does the basics like jump, run, and most of the moves the game has to offer. Jake the Dog jumps in your backpack and he does special moves that Finn can’t do like smash a rock wall, roll over water, and attack enemies from a distance. Most of these moves of course you don’t have available to you the second you leave your tree house. Just like most Zelda titles you unlock these moves as the game progresses, sometimes you have to back track to find a move you couldn’t obtain before to continue the game.

Your third member is BMO, the cute lil robot game system that lives with our heroes. She is used as a menu on the lower screen where you can store your items, keep track of your stats, and look at the map. You obtain items from finishing quests from town folks, and by killing monsters across Ooo. There’s two types of items: Food which replenishes your health which is kept in check by hearts on the top left of the screen (Like Zelda again). Second type of items is special weapons that can help you during battle like a Tigers Claw which will make your attacks slower but more powerful, or a briefcase that will summon an army of Demon Businessmen that will help you when you’re being swamped by enemies.

The best part of the game in my opinion is the game does not tell you what to do. Just like classic Zelda games to move forward you, YOU, THE PLAYER must explore the map on your own finding your own way to finish the game. No one gives you directions, or clues. It’s all up to YOU. The game also rewards you for exploring the map like giving you an extra heart or a rare item which will come in handy during boss battles later on.
Image Image

GRAPHICS
The game has very bright colorful graphics, with great pixel art that resembles the show a lot. The fact that most of characters are done in pixels and not hand-drawn or in 3D gives it a charm that most 3DS titles don’t have so far.

MUSIC
The second I opened the game and heard the main theme song I went online and downloaded the main theme right away before even playing the game. I’m in love with the music from this game. It reminds me a lot of the music from Scott Pilgrim, very catchy retro music. Even the songs that has lyrics like the main theme is very well done and stays very true with Adventure Time tradition when it comes down to music.
Image Image

3D
For a 2D game being developed on the DS first, the 3D is very well done than most 2D ports to the 3DS. Like the 2D ports its divided into 3 segments pretty much. Background, the main game, then the foreground. Some 3D elements pop very well like some special moves from items and some moments during boss battles, but of course like most 3DS players I tend to just turn the 3D off.

VERDICT
The guys at Way Forward deserves a pat in the back for creating a great game based on a television show. With fun gameplay and some memorable moments, this game was a great buy in my opinion. I recommend anyone who’s an Adventure Time fan to not skip this adventure. People who have never seen or liked Adventure Time despite being based on Zelda II you should skip this title.

(Special Note: If any of you have kids in any kind of way that enjoys Adventure Time (siblings, cousins ect.)and you were raised with games from the 80’s-90’s, buy them this game to show them what our games were like back in the day. It’s a good combination.)

Pros:
-Funny Dialog
-Great Characters
-Bright Colorful Graphics
-Music
-Nostalgic

Cons-
-Extremely Short
-Not made for non-Adventure Time fans
-Lack of replayability

4/5
MATHEMATICAL
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

The Collectors Edition of Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage??! was a good buy when the game first came out, just for a few more dollars you get a steel case that looks like the Enchiridion Book that Finn carries around in the television show, and stylus that looks like Finns first sword.

My favorite 2 items though is the Map and the booklet that has description of all the monsters and characters in The Land of Ooo. Why would you like these pointless items Rick you all say? Because it reminds me of when I was a kid when every game came with this kind of stuff. I know it's hard to believe for your younger gamers that back in the day you had to read manuals to understand and know the story. Im glad this game made a nice gesture to that.

Only Con is it the game also comes with the actual cover of the 3DS game but its like a slide on sleeve from the side.(Picture not shown) Not the sleeve that you put the game case in that most games have, im guessing its made to be thrown away but i dont want too.

Anyway, it's a good buy for an Adventure Time fan (Good luck finding one with a low price now.)
Brendon77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brendon77 »

Yep, i agree with you, i watch this cartoon that is very hit on tv network but i don't play game, i try to play this game. please anyone share downlaod link then i play it. Thanks for sharing reviews.
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Never heard of this show before, but the game design is definitely a treat. Bummer to read that its on the short side. If they could have added more to make it worthwhile I'd look it up.