Sonic: Lost World (Wii U/3DS)

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Atrias wrote:Maybe its just me but this news smells a little of SA3, but the multiple routes etc makes me think of Shadow The Hedgehog *shudder*
Or-or maybe, "SA3" but doesn't have to be named "SA3"?
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Kaito-kun wrote:Regarding the title, if there's one thing we can be sure of, it's that the title will involve the word "Sonic" in the title.

Based on recent offerings it'll be "Sonic [Random Word Vaguely Related to the Plot]" akin to "Sonic Unleashed", "Sonic Colours" and "Sonic Generations"
What if it's called "Shadow (Random name)" or "Tails (Random name)"? Although it's likely going to have "Sonic" in the name, we can't be 100% even when the last game we got with something other the Sonic was "Shadow the Hedgehog".
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Starlight wrote:What if it's called "Shadow (Random name)" or "Tails (Random name)"? Although it's likely going to have "Sonic" in the name, we can't be 100% even when the last game we got with something other the Sonic was "Shadow the Hedgehog".
I like to believe that SEGA's marketing team have learned to downplay the friends aspect by now.

Besides, the "Sonic" brand relies heavily on the name: Many mums and dads who might not be overly familiar with gaming - and will probably be the majority of people who will be buying this game in the shop for their kids - are aware of the Sonic The Hedgehog brand, but might not be aware of the rest of the cast.
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Kaito-kun wrote:I like to believe that SEGA's marketing team have learned to downplay the friends aspect by now.

Besides, the "Sonic" brand relies heavily on the name: Many mums and dads who might not be overly familiar with gaming - and will probably be the majority of people who will be buying this game in the shop for their kids - are aware of the Sonic The Hedgehog brand, but might not be aware of the rest of the cast.
Eh? I don't get the hate for Sonic's friends really...Mario seems to do fine having a decent amount of them to not deter Mario's gameplay?

It depends really, I am sure they know who Tails is as people usually know the sidekick of heroes in Comics/Films etc. Indeed Sonic does sell, but we shouldn't assume 100% that the name will be Sonic regardless, even if it's 99% certain.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Starlight wrote:Eh? I don't get the hate for Sonic's friends really...Mario seems to do fine having a decent amount of them to not deter Mario's gameplay?
Mario's friends don't tend to be as annoying.
Starlight wrote:It depends really, I am sure they know who Tails is as people usually know the sidekick of heroes in Comics/Films etc.
Possibly, but I wouldn't say it's likely. Would they automatically make the link to Sonic? Or would they just seen another anthropomorphised cartoon character on the cover of a game?
Starlight
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Starlight »

Kaito-kun wrote:Mario's friends don't tend to be as annoying.
I would say that they are more so due to the grunts and simplistic words they do. I don't mind Knuckles, Tails, Amy or Blaze to be honest.
Kaito-kun wrote: Possibly, but I wouldn't say it's likely. Would they automatically make the link to Sonic? Or would they just seen another anthropomorphised cartoon character on the cover of a game?
It seemed to work when they had Spin offs on the Game Gear, why not? Luigi's Mansion is known by a few casuals I know too.

I don't think it'll be called anything else other then Sonic, but I just think it's not a 100% confirmation.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

The trend of non-Sonic titled games back then was fine because Sonic's reputation was as shot as it was once 2005-2006 came around. SEGA's notion toward his friends can't last forever and that trend will be broken.

And I just know this game will have Sonic in the title. It has to.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Starlight wrote: It seemed to work when they had Spin offs on the Game Gear, why not?
Because this isn't the 90's any more. Normal people don't give half a damn about Sonic any more.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Starlight wrote:Eh? I don't get the hate for Sonic's friends really...Mario seems to do fine having a decent amount of them to not deter Mario's gameplay?
Well, yes, that's the problem. Not only are Sonic's friends mostly irritating, they also tend to come with their own shitty sections of awful gameplay.
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

All I want is for it to just be Sonic vs. Eggman.
Not Sonic vs. some random creature Eggman awakened from a thousand years ago.
It always seems to be those games that are the worst.