Sonic: Lost World (Wii U/3DS)

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
BluePuyo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BluePuyo »

I'm surprised about the reception of Lost World so far. I saw some scores and, to be honest, I didn't expect them to be THAT low.

I don't think I'll play this for a long time since I won't get a Wii U anytime soon. I'm most eager for the soundtrack though.
TheChaosBlue wrote:From what I'm seeing the 3DS version is the more favored version.
Portable version always the most favored, heh. =P
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

I think it was like that with Generations too.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

At least from what I'm seeing the reviews are from mixed/average to good. So that's an ok sign I would think?
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

BluePuyo wrote:I'm surprised about the reception of Lost World so far. I saw some scores and, to be honest, I didn't expect them to be THAT low.
No? I take it you really enjoyed it when you played it?
BluePuyo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BluePuyo »

Kaito-kun wrote:No? I take it you really enjoyed it when you played it?
Where are you getting at?

I'm just surprised that the game in the end didn't meet expectations after all the hype it had, that's all. The low scores shows that is an average game. I fail to see what was wrong in what I said earlier.
mtwinny wrote:At least from what I'm seeing the reviews are from mixed/average to good. So that's an ok sign I would think?
I wonder how would take it SEGA. This time is the Sonic gameplay that takes the score down, unlike past games with the alternate ones.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Well I didn't see that coming but I probably should have known.

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Lost World ever since I saw the first few screenshots of it. I can't pinpoint exactly what it was but perhaps maybe I didn't like it because of my inner fanboy who thought it looked way too cartoony. Though who am I kidding, I've already mentioned how Sonic games don't attract me anymore because of the dull story.

That said though, again, I should have known. Past few sonic games were doing so good. Unleashed, Colors and Generations was a step in the right direction and the new boost platforming mechanic proved to be successful for Sonic. (Of course, not so much Unleashed but nevertheless, it was still a step to the right direction.) I just don't understand why SEGA decided to drop the Boost running platforming style of gameplay in favor for trying something new. Sega's tried "something new" so many times and nearly all the time, it failed. So why fix what isn't broken? Why not improve on the hedgehog engine and it's gameplay style instead of trying this new parkour system and let the reviews hit you like a brick wall.

In the end, this game feels like Sonic just crashed back onto the Unleashed days.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

from what i've read the previews were pretty good because the game doesn't really show the cracks until later levels.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

The Unleashed formula, while was improving with Generations, was getting a bit stale. I welcome this new gameplay style. But they just shouldn't drop it. Especially the parkour mechanic; improve and refine.

And I think what Kaito was talking about is that if you enjoyed the game in your own right from a combination of playing it at some expo/actually looking at gameplay videos and whatnot, then what's going to stop your from enjoying it yourself? I really don't take much consideration in reviews these days anyway personally.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Given this game was on a brand new console with a new gameplay mechanic (the GamePad) I can see if SEGA wanted to continue on the Wii U they can improve on what went wrong.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

The game doesn't even us the gamepad though. It doesn't even look to be a massive departure from Colours, they just added a dumb gimmick (surprise surprise)