Horror Games.

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
metalgamer
Level 8
Level 8

Horror Games.

Post by metalgamer »

Hello everybody. I haven't seen a previous thread about this so I decided to make a new one. What does everyone on this forum think of "Horror" games/gaming? Personally, I've not been very big on so called horror games, because to me, if it has a gun in it that you can use to kill all the horrors, it's not scary in the slightest. For example:

Modern Horror Game:

Oh god, it's a swarm of monsters! Let's shoot them to death with weaponary!

Horror games I like:

Oh god, a monster! I hope it don't find m... (Gets eaten)

What I mean is that I don't think that a game is horror filled if you easily kill a creature by filling with lead. If it has creative ways of killing or stunning enemies, that would be more interesting. But it just feels more fun when the only thing you can do sometimes is run. What does anyone else think?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Very few horror games are scary, Resident Evil was a big offender for this. Silent Hill can be good at being pretty unsettling, as could Eternal Darkness.

Only game to ever make me not want to play it because it was pretty scary was Siren: Blood Curse on the PS3.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Forbidden siren and Project Zero (Fatal Frame) I find scary. Other horror games use jump scares to much
RWDebara
Level 14
Level 14

Post by RWDebara »

I mostly enjoy indie Horror games like Amnesia. Games with a heavy atmosphere tends to creep me out a lot.

Always thought Resident Evil or like Dead Space were really bad horror games while Silent Hill 2 was pretty spooky but nothing to extreme. The first F.E.A.R did creep me out during the Alma parts but that was because my headphones were on full blast with the computer screen inches from my face so I don't count that.

Also I HATE that sequels tend to walk away from the horror aspect of the game towards action like Resident Evil series :/
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Siren: Blood Curse was a pretty scary game, yeah. It was also horrible to play, so I didn't really get that far through it.

Whilst not a horror game in the true sense of the word, I thought Condemned had a touch of the creeps about it. The second one was pants though, just dropped it all in favour of a quasi-"scary" FPS.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Personally, I believe a real horror game is a game that really makes the player feel defenseless. In other words, a game with no real weapons can make a game much scarrier then a game in which you HAVE guns like let's say Dead Space.

Thus I really think of games like Amnesia or maybe Slender as good horror games. Defenetally Amnesia though.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Clock Tower on the ps1 was both terrifying and hilarious.
Tic Tac, sir?
Dr Shaneman
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Dr Shaneman »

I know of a few horror visual novels and a couple fan games made in RPG maker but the only ones I've played console wise are Silent Hill.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Never been one for horror in general because I'm a big girl's blouse.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I think I can join you in that. XD