What do you hope to achieve?

What it says on the tin...
p_nut_uk
Level 5
Level 5

What do you hope to achieve?

Post by p_nut_uk »

Hi everyone! Just to get to know people a little i'd like to know something you'd like to achieve.

Me first, I would like to run in a brit car 24hr race with an old car to actually test my skills instead of pretending i'm the best
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Well, as for now, I hope to make a complete rebound in my 2nd semester in college from my first.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I'd like to spend an evening curled up on the couch, watching and laughing at bad anime with someone who makes me feel all warm inside and who I hopefully help feel the same.

Ahhh~ I'm a hopeless romantic~
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Long term, I hope to achieve a profession in animation/multimedia artistry.

Short term, ending my second semester of college by being on the President's list.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

This might be the most personal post I could write here. (Mainly because it's what I've been thinking about lately, and as to why I felt mildly depressed for the past 2 months)

In 2010, I actually considered entering journalism, because at the time, I loved doing articles about video games, but I wasn't able to enter the 3-year course dedicated to that in high school because of me going to sciences instead. Year 1 was actually okay, made me rethink my goals, going instead for IT engineering.

Then 2011/2012 went all haywire. I got a girlfriend, which didn't seem harmful at the time, then I only saw my grades slowly decreasing, eventually having me fail at the national exams. I spent the entire month in Angola thinking about everything.

"What did I do wrong?"
"How could I improve?"
And stuff like that.

But then, there was year 2 again, decided to redo it once more (had to either way, fail the exams, you have to redo them), and with a mixed goal. Just get it over with so I could start working elsewhere.

But then, reality started to emerge in 2013. Specifically January.

I got back for the 2nd term of high school, still with the same goal, but then, close to the beginning, I saw this video. For one, it made me realize what I was usually doing and what was wrong with it (being in certain social media websites, YouTube, all for no reason), I was forgetting what motivated me. What brought me a smile when I was looking at. Of course, that's when my goal of becoming an IT engineer came back, but mid-February, all went haywire again. Harsh words on Valentines, exams going horribly again, among others.

Then I thought again. To the past. What was I doing, what have I done wrong, etc. And it came back to me. I was doing absolutely NOTHING for what I want. I always got distracted at other things I deemed interesting, like YouTube (again) or social networks. Not to mention how I was acting as a person, which was different from what I normally am. I was becoming a lazy, procrastinating git.

So last week, while in a call with a close person, I talked this out. and realized that I have to make a decision, I'm old enough to do so, and I have no second choices. And I want to prove I can be someone, not just another person on a computer screen.

In conclusion, I redefined my goal for good. I will try as hard as I can to finish these last 2 years and get in college, and be a strong, independent person, not to mention an actual, knowledgeable programmer.

I know it may have been long for you to read, but I consider you as a family, so it seemed okay to share this with every single member, and with that, I thank you for reading (if you did).
I live here now!
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Shadid, I have a much higher level of respect for you now. And yes I read the entire post. Somewhat, what you said is something I have an issue with. I want to make goals to get over that issue.
Shadid

Post by Shadid »

TheChaosBlue wrote:Shadid, I have a much higher level of respect for you now. And yes I read the entire post. Somewhat, what you said is something I have an issue with. I want to make goals to get over that issue.
Thank you, really. I want to have one goal set, so I can focus as hard as I can, and leave other stuff just to rest a little, like hobbies. In the past, I used to mix everything, various goals in one, projects in mind, among others. That's what broke me in July and December, which was not good, really.

It's why I feel slowly better for now, because my perspective compared to a year ago (in this exact point) is different.

As for achievements, of course I hope to be known in the gaming industry, I just need to take baby steps to do so, this website and PAX Prime were some of those, and hopefully more to come. :)
I live here now!
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Shadid wrote:Thank you, really. I want to have one goal set, so I can focus as hard as I can, and leave other stuff just to rest a little, like hobbies. In the past, I used to mix everything, various goals in one, projects in mind, among others. That's what broke me in July and December, which was not good, really.

It's why I feel slowly better for now, because my perspective compared to a year ago (in this exact point) is different.

As for achievements, of course I hope to be known in the gaming industry, I just need to take baby steps to do so, this website and PAX Prime were some of those, and hopefully more to come. :)
This gameplan of yours sounds like it will be successful as long as you remain devoted to your new goals. I like that.
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I read it all Shadid, good luck on your quest. Figuring out what you actually want, not what you think you want, or what other people want for you that you think you want, is actually a bloody difficult thing.

I switched college courses and careers so many times over the years, going from everything from English, writing, game design, graphic design, web design, sociology, and back again. I realised a bit too late that I was making decisions to please others, rather than what my inner self actually aligned with.

I still am, in a way. I studied game design, have a job working for a small game company... I love my job, yes, but is it really me? Well it is for now, at least.

How honest should I be on a public forum? With a secret I've kept to myself for a long long time?

Nah, I'm not gonna be that open XD
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

I read the whole post Shadid. Good Luck achieving your goals :)