Sonic Live in Sydney Discussion and Insight.

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Sonic Live in Sydney Discussion and Insight.

Post by SonicFan »

So, in the late 90's, SEGA decided it was a great idea for them to open up indoor theme parks around the Europe and Asia regions. These indoor theme parks were named "SegaWorld". The most known of these locations are London and Sydney, although there were ones in Brighton, Bournemouth, Shanghai, Southampton, Tamworth, Birmingham and Wolverhampton. Most of them could just be called mega arcades as they didn't contain rides (Only a select few did.)

The location I'm looking at is Segaworld Sydney. Segaworld Sydney was an indoor high-tech amusement park that operated for almost four years. It was designed and themed by SEGA as one of many Segaworld attractions. The park opened it's doors on March 1997 and closed their doors for good on November 2000. The main reason for it's demise was the low attendance and financial losses. They're hopes were high when tourists visiting Sydney for the 2000 Summer Olympics would help meet the visitor breakeven point, which it did. But this was sadly overlooked by SEGA of 2008, the building has been demolished. The picture below is of it before being demolished.
sally-puppet.jpg

But, I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for that little hidden gem that was once played 3-4 times a day. You know, the one where everyone dressed up in costume, had a play and burnt out your ears? If you guessed Sonic Live in Sydney, then you're right! Sonic Live in Sydney was basically just a play that featured Sonic, Tails, Robotnik and Sally (Yes, Sally's in this....DON'T ASK!). I don't really know much about the story since there isn't much footage from the play, just some audio on Youtube. Because of that, I don't really know what the hell is going on. Below is the audio video from the play:

[video=youtube;fq4g6-uKVQM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4g6-uKVQM[/video]

If you took you're time to watch that, I salute you. It's 25 minutes of horrible voice acting (With the exception of Robotnik), with a total of four songs thrown in. Enough of my ranting, let's get back to the discussion. This play actually did change from people in costumes dancing to puppets bobbing behind a window to music. The reason behind this was because SEGA thought it wasn't "dynamic" enough for kids. So, they decided it was best to change it to puppets...Because every child loves puppets (god dang things scare the crap out of me...Just look at Sally!)!
sally-puppet.jpg
Sally Acorn in the mornings. :P
I've found exactly no video footage of the live action or puppet plays and only some pictures. This is where you come in. I want you to post pictures and or video of the play (Like anyone has footage of it). There are also merchandising from the actual play. You could expect these items to be pretty rare. You can also discuss about the matter. Have you ever seen the play with your own eyes? Was it a piece of crap? Do you think Robotnik sounded a bit "Pedo"? You can also ask other's questions as well (since it is a discussion).

This has been Sonicfan....Bad music bobber. :guitar:
Attachments
300px-Sega-world.jpg
300px-Sega-world.jpg (12.92 KiB) Viewed 1740 times
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Wow, an insight to this?

Very interesting. But I don't think any one of us been to the thing to have footage of it.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

There could be old time Sonic fans who have heard of Segaworld Sydney and saw it.
To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

Taggsta might know about this. He's the owner of an OutRun blog. You can get to him on twitter: @sean_tagg
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

KC wrote:Taggsta might know about this. He's the owner of an OutRun blog. You can get to him on twitter: @sean_tagg
He looks very busy and is never on.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Went to Sydney a few years ago and I visited the location where SegaWorld used to be.

...I believe now it's a McDonald's restaurant...
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Went to Sydney a few years ago and I visited the location where SegaWorld used to be.

So...How big is the McDonald's there?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Went to Sydney a few years ago and I visited the location where SegaWorld used to be.

Now it's a McDonalds....but of course.
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

TheChaosBlue wrote:Now it's a McDonalds....but of course.
At least it's not Disney who took that space over.....
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

This thread is still open to review and discussion.